Frank Baker Says He Survived Spontaneously Combusting.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Frank Baker Says He Survived Spontaneously Combusting.

#1  Postby Debrab » May 11, 2015 2:06 pm

Refused polygraph test.
He went on a TV documentary show, then facebook saying it happened to him not just once but three times, and that a doctor confirmed him with 'partial spontaneous combustion' where his skin cells spontaneously combusted and set parts of his skin on fire without warning.

His friend who was on the same sofa as him when it happened also refused a polygraph test. The man tried to open a donations fund to fund scientific testing and a cure, but did not receive any donations from people. Before selling his home he advertised his address on news forums about his case, asking people to send him mail and to donate.

According to a commenter on one of the news articles on him, neither his wife or daughter (who is 37 years old) knew about it. (He says this happened to him, in 1995)

Is it possible for skin cells to spontaneously combust? By metabolic heat or some build up of reactive chemicals/toxin?
I guess this question applies to the baby Rahul in India, whose mother says has caught fire on his own not once, but four times, and a fifth time counting her most recent baby. She angrily denied setting them on fire.
Debrab

Name: Debra

Print view this post

Re: Frank Baker Says He Survived Spontaneously Combusting.

#2  Postby campermon » May 11, 2015 7:54 pm

Welcome to the forum!

:beer:

And, in answer to the two questions; No and no.

:thumbup:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 27, 2015 3:10 pm

Partial Spontaneous Combustion Syndrome.... doctors are just *always* diagnosing people with that all too common ailment! :D

Not knowing who this guy is, I would hazard a guess he was on LSD and dreamt the entire episode up.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby johnbrandt » Jun 30, 2015 10:49 pm

Always thought spontaneous combustion seemed a little...fishy. I have a few books I got when I was a kid, big anthologies of "unexplained events" like ghosts, automatic writing, hauntings, bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster (but of course we all know Nessie is real :grin: ), and yes, spontaneous combustion. It all used to intrigue me but spontaneous combustion always had a morbid fascination. I couldn't see how it could possibly happen the way it was reported.

Looking at stories with modern eyes is something I have another example of in my library...it's a book from 1933 called "Witchcraft and Demonianism : a concise account derived from sworn depositions and confessions in the courts of England and Wales", by C. L'Estrange Ewen.
It tells of witchcraft trials and the evidence presented, in detail, including what the women were supposed to have done, marks on their bodies, strange things they did, etc.
The interesting bit is that the book once belonged to Sir Raphael Cilento, who was once connected to my family in some indirect way. He was a medical doctor, and in the margins is tiny neat pencil lettering written by him. They look, with a modern doctors diagnostic eyes, at the descriptions of things affecting the "witches" at the time.
For instance there is the descrioption of the "Mysterious death of the Earl OF Derby", in 1594. It is a pretty detailed list of what the poor man underwent with dates and what happened each day, leading up to his death. Dr Cilento has written in the margin how many days are passing and finishes with "11 days" underlined. Obviously he is trying to work out what could be affecting the Earl with the symptoms described.
The book is full of underlining and tiny neat writing of latin names (presumably diseases) in the margins where the doctor, looking on with modern diagnostic techniques, notes what he thinks these poor women may have been affected by at the time centuries ago which usually led to their deaths for "witchcraft".
One case had a woman being repeatedly asked to renounce the devil, but eventually she couldn't speak..."a thing did rise up in her throat ready to choke her, but since, she will say it, and saith "she could not then for want of grace"...". Dr Cilento has written "Globus Hystericus" in the margin beside this...a swelling or hysterical closing off of the throat. Understandable given what these women might face if they didn't "renounce satan"...but in 1612 they would have seen it as satan "closing off her throat" to stop her denouncing him...she had "a want of grace" so wouldn't speak the words. :nono:

Spontaneous combustion stories always seemed to me to be odd...how could a body burst into flames and burn savagely but leave papers right beside the chair untouched, or delicate stockings left intact? Very odd...unless something was being left out. Or details added to the story which simply did not exist.
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby laklak » Jun 30, 2015 10:52 pm

"Spurious Combustion" is more like it.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Hamster » Jul 06, 2015 5:56 am

Debrab wrote:...
The man tried to open a donations fund to fund scientific testing and a cure, but did not receive any donations from people. Before selling his home he advertised his address on news forums about his case, asking people to send him mail and to donate.

Puts the "con" into conflagration IYAM.
Hamster

Print view this post

#7  Postby chairman bill » Jul 06, 2015 7:27 am

Debrab wrote:I guess this question applies to the baby Rahul in India, whose mother says has caught fire on his own not once, but four times, and a fifth time counting her most recent baby. She angrily denied setting them on fire.

Munchausen's disorder, by proxy. Her kids should be taken into care & she should be admitted for treatment.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby johnbrandt » Jul 10, 2015 9:05 am

chairman bill wrote:
Debrab wrote:I guess this question applies to the baby Rahul in India, whose mother says has caught fire on his own not once, but four times, and a fifth time counting her most recent baby. She angrily denied setting them on fire.

Munchausen's disorder, by proxy. Her kids should be taken into care & she should be admitted for treatment.

I'm sadly reminded of reading many years ago of the shocking number of "cooking accidents" involving women in India and Pakistan...silly women trying to cook and spilling stove fuel all over themselves and then accidentally lighting themselves on fire...they should really be more careful... :coffee:
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby patient zero » Sep 09, 2015 9:02 pm

Debrab wrote:He went on a TV documentary show

'Unsolved Mysteries' was about as a serious documentary as 'In Search Of...' Fun to watch sometimes, but not where you want to go for unbiased evidence, or even actual evidence.

and that a doctor confirmed him with 'partial spontaneous combustion'

A doctor who will never have a name no matter how many times you ask Frank/GaiaGirl/BlueSpike for it. They won't bother giving a direct answer to the question even when they quote it.

Is it possible for skin cells to spontaneously combust? By metabolic heat or some build up of reactive chemicals/toxin?

As Frank/GaiaGirl/BlueSpike has been told countless times before: No.
Calilasseia wrote:...WHY DO PROFESSIONAL PROPAGANDISTS FOR CREATIONISM HAVE TO LIE FOR THEIR DOCTRINE?
patient zero

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Pulsar » Sep 09, 2015 9:16 pm

"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Return to General Debunking