''Glitches in the Matrix'' / ''we live in a video game''

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

''Glitches in the Matrix'' / ''we live in a video game''

#1  Postby WiggleHead » Apr 28, 2018 10:00 pm

Hi RS, I'm going to start off with a general debunking thread I don't think has been posted before so here goes.

I don't know why I'm seeing so many stories about ''glitches in the Matrix'', but in 2018 it seems like this is the next 'popular thing'. Glitches in the Matrix stories always involve the laws of physics being broken in some way, and is thus used as evidence that we live in a poxxy, bug-ridden videogame.

The stories usually involve the OP saying that multiple people at once witnessed these 'glitches', for example, here is one where OP said their friend teleported like a bad jump cut and other people witnessed it - https://www.reddit.com/r/Glitch_in_the_ ... it_happen/

This one seems very stupid and cliche, where everyone else near a busy shopping store was frozen in time, including his parents, but him and his brother were spared - https://www.reddit.com/r/Glitch_in_the_ ... st_matrix/

Other stories involve things such as people walking three feet in front of them popping out of existence without a single sound, flash of light or explosion.
WiggleHead

Name: Will

Print view this post

Re: ''Glitches in the Matrix'' / ''we live in a video game''

#2  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 29, 2018 3:19 am

WiggleHead wrote:I don't know why I'm seeing so many stories about ''glitches in the Matrix'', but in 2018 it seems like this is the next 'popular thing'.

I'm not seeing "so many" of these stories. Perhaps this is because I don't read reddit threads unless I've been sent there by some other research I'm doing. I guess one could do research on the numbers of these stories by searching for "glitches in the Matrix" using a search engine. Coincidences are another way for people to magnify the significance of the "next popular thing".

Stories are so easy to dispense with, because they're just stories, as opposed, you know, to data. The internet has led to a vast increase in the numbers of stories available for people to read freely with nothing more in their possession than a device and a WiFi access code.

Anyway, let me welcome you to our little forum in my own endearing style.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#3  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 29, 2018 3:30 am

I do bum around on Reddit, and I haven't really noticed it as a thing. Then again, I tend to glaze over once it becomes clear no actual evidence is forthcoming. There's nothing to debunk.

What's your interest in it, WiggleHead? And welcome to the forum!
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby fluttermoth » Apr 29, 2018 8:20 am

I'm aware of the 'Glitch in the Matrix' tales, but I don't recall them being more popular this year than any other.

The Fortean Times message board (of which I am a very proud member!) has had a thread on that sub Reddit active since 2012, so it's nothing new.

FWIW, I don't think there's anything truly weird going on, just misperception, faulty memory, possibly hallucination and, certainly, a lot of hoaxing, but I do find it fascinating :)
fluttermoth

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 29, 2018 11:45 am

Funny how these purported 'failures' of the laws of physics are never observed by actual physicists ... or in properly equipped laboratories ...
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Hermit » Apr 29, 2018 11:49 am

Calilasseia wrote:Funny how these purported 'failures' of the laws of physics are never observed by actual physicists ... or in properly equipped laboratories ...

Quite. Those "glitches" remind me of reports of "miracles" of yore.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Aug 24, 2018 11:35 pm

It's nothing more than a metaphysical theory. That's it. It can only be believed and not know. Any of proposed evidence for this thing can be dismissed with Occam's Razor, and be left at that. The only real application for this theory at all is that for theology, in which God does not need to be a logically impossible being, but rather simply a programmer, no more competent than a human.
Mr. Skeptic

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Aug 24, 2018 11:38 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Funny how these purported 'failures' of the laws of physics are never observed by actual physicists ... or in properly equipped laboratories ...

Dunning Kruger.
Mr. Skeptic

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Wheelspawn » Sep 07, 2018 7:41 pm

If life truly is a video game, I don't care about metaphysical implications and all that nonsense. I just want the cheat codes.
Ὅσον ζῇς φαίνου
μηδὲν ὅλως σὺ λυποῦ
πρὸς ὀλίγον ἐστὶ τὸ ζῆν
τὸ τέλος ὁ xρόνος ἀπαιτεῖ.

While you live, shine
have no grief at all
life exists only for a short while
and time demands its toll.

- Seikilos Epitaph
Wheelspawn

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Animavore » Sep 07, 2018 8:10 pm

So is The Matrix the new Capricorn One?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11  Postby GrahamH » Sep 07, 2018 9:51 pm

Animavore wrote:So is The Matrix the new Capricorn One?

Wasn't that The Truman Show?

Both fake sets in a real world though. The Matrix is a different sort of 'fake'
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#12  Postby Animavore » Sep 07, 2018 10:08 pm

GrahamH wrote:

Capricorn One is a movie about a fake moon landing. A coupke of decades later it seeps intl the public conscious where it becomes 'real'.

Now this.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13  Postby GrahamH » Sep 08, 2018 6:12 am

Animavore wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Capricorn One is a movie about a fake moon landing. A coupke of decades later it seeps intl the public conscious where it becomes 'real'.

Now this.

I see what you mean, but didn't Capricorn one mereley reflect an idea rather than create a conspiracy theory?

Just as movies about 911 reflected public incredulity at those events.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#14  Postby Animavore » Sep 08, 2018 8:44 am

I'm not sure. I don't think so. But maybe.

Another example I can think of is that no one is recorded talking about alien abduction and little green men until after they were invented in fiction.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#15  Postby GrahamH » Sep 09, 2018 7:29 am

A few details hint that the story was fabricated or imagined, according to Kentaro Mori, a paranormal investigator who blogs at Forgetomori. "If you read Villas Boas' account you may notice the advanced aliens nonetheless used rope ladders — a very adorable detail," Mori wrote in an email. Moreover, "Villas Boas' original sketch of the alien spaceship, with three legs, looks remarkably like the drawings of Sputnik-1, often depicted with three of its four antennas showing. The Sputnik surely was the talk of the time in 1957 when Villas Boas was supposedly abducted — or imagined his story."

The Villas Boas and Hill cases are both arguably the original inspiration for the untold number of abduction accounts that have followed. The Brazilian farmer's alleged encounter happened first, but the Hills' story was the first (by a matter of months) to enter collective consciousness.

Either way, both incidents were themselves prompted by the surging belief in UFOs across Western cultures at the dawn of the Space Age. For the first time in history, humanity was looking to the stars and perceiving them as not so far away.

https://www.livescience.com/20250-alien ... igins.html

It seems reasonable to suppose that the extraordinary real world events of the space race inspired the imagination of a few who made the news, rather than it being started by an overt work of fiction.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#16  Postby Hermit » Sep 09, 2018 9:41 am

Unfortunately the details are locked behind Elsevier's paywall.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby GrahamH » Sep 11, 2018 8:03 pm

There were lots of UFO sightings in 52, as the chart shows, including the "invasion of washington"

What work of fiction started that?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#18  Postby newolder » Sep 11, 2018 8:34 pm

I'd guess it wasn't fiction but enhanced paranoia.
The device is colloquially referred to as a hydrogen bomb or, an H-bomb, because it employs the fusion of isotopes of hydrogen. The first full-scale thermonuclear test was carried out by the United States in 1952; the concept has since been employed by most of the world's nuclear powers in the design of their weapons.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby LucidFlight » Sep 11, 2018 10:20 pm

Have you ever bumped a VR sensor and shifted your proprioception by a couple of centimetres? That can be a tad off-putting.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to General Debunking