Lion IRC's challenge.

Taking our derail somewhere else myself

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Lion IRC's challenge.

#21  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 03, 2011 8:18 pm

Exactly. You're already perfectly happy with the mind-killing "goddidit". What could possibly motivate you to question it?
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby FinalLegion » Jul 03, 2011 11:26 pm

Lion IRC wrote:
sennekuyl wrote:

You can't be said to run away for asking to extract derails from the thread. The accusation of running away comes from this quote:
Lion IRC wrote:Its His Holy Word. I dont[sic] take bible interpretation classes from people who dont[sic] love Him. (Go preach bible stuff @ a fellow atheist like Skinny Puppy)

from this post.
I contemplated informing you no interpretation is necessary. But that would have mean using other scriptures and you refuse to acknowledge them.

Are you saying I am running away from a serious bible discussion per se or that me "taking a pass" on discussing the bible with people who I dont think respect Gods bible constitutes running away.?

Actually, yes. A debate on Biblical scripture has absolutely nothing to do with respect and everything to do with how intelligently and logically the scripture in question is interpreted. I have virtually no respect for the Christian Bible. As far as I am concerned, it is a collection of scriptures belonging to a violent and intolerant religion that plagiarizes concepts and individuals from other religions and the few 'good things' in the Bible are not ideas that are exclusive to Christianity.

Now if, knowing that, you'd refuse to have a serious discussion with me about Biblical scripture because I don't respect the Christian Bible the way YOU think I should...then yes, that does constitute running away.
FinalLegion

Name: Dane Ilario
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby CookieJon » Jul 04, 2011 12:16 am

Lion is very exegesisist. He turns his nose up at people whose interpretations of the holy scriptures don't agree enough with his. Won't even discuss it with them, he says!

Funnily, though, he's always happy to include believers in, oh say, telepathic-book-discounting-shopping-mall-angels and the like amongst his brethren when it suits him to claim his ilk are in the majority on the planet.
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#24  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 04, 2011 12:26 am

It's a damned convenient, dirty trick, eh?
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 04, 2011 12:30 am

That fits rather neatly with a discussion a few of us here were having with Lion when he made the supporting claim that 'I have never seen "forms of Christianity" I didnt recognize.' And then failed to recognise Philippino Christians engaging in self-flagellation and crucifixion reenactments. The only way to preserve logical coherence there is for Lion to say he doesn't recognise Philippino Christian practices as being Christian. Of course, self-flagellation, as part of mortification of the flesh or corporal mortification, was practiced by monks and nuns throughout most of Christian history.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Debunking