Oh dog help me!

The loonies and Oz politics

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Oh dog help me!

#1  Postby DanDare » May 09, 2011 7:17 am

Ok, folks, over here in Oz we are fighting to have religious instruction removed from public education. Maybe we can get it replaced by actual education about comparative religion.

The christian lobby are frothing at the mouth and their Victorian head, Rob Ward, published a useless piece of drivel into Online Opinion entitled "SRI opponents denying kids their cultural heritage".

Now the creationists have started filling the comments section, which is 31 pages long so far. I'm swatting at them as best I can.

Discuss the state of play with creationism and religious intrusion in to Oz schools here. Carpet bomb the creationists over there.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Oh dog help me!

#2  Postby DanDare » May 09, 2011 8:35 am

Damn, just ran into the "4 posts in 24 hours" restriction. I was right in the middle of a series of posts refuting Shockadelic's list of all the usual cannards.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tactik » Jun 05, 2011 3:16 pm

Totally read that as "Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SRI) denying kids their cultural heritage"

The bastards!
tactik

Print view this post

#4  Postby Dogmatic Pyrrhonist » Jun 17, 2011 6:53 am

DanDare wrote:Ok, folks, over here in Oz we are fighting to have religious instruction removed from public education. Maybe we can get it replaced by actual education about comparative religion.

The christian lobby are frothing at the mouth and their Victorian head, Rob Ward, published a useless piece of drivel into Online Opinion entitled "SRI opponents denying kids their cultural heritage".

Now the creationists have started filling the comments section, which is 31 pages long so far. I'm swatting at them as best I can.

Discuss the state of play with creationism and religious intrusion in to Oz schools here. Carpet bomb the creationists over there.

Grrr....
Will post some. As soon as I have time. I dearly want Oz land not to follow in the US footsteps of religio-fundamentalism. But in reality, Australians are just more subtle with it all. But it's till fecking there.
Dogmatic Pyrrhonist
AKA https://plus.google.com/u/0/105518842266362138077/about (google has decided my name isn't a 'real' name)

Dogmatic Pyrrhonist

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby pennypitstop » Jul 07, 2011 11:26 am

What do the native Aborigine children have to say about their religious cultural heritage?

Best bit..."Despite some notable blemishes, Christianity has been an overwhelming force for good."... that got an 'oh rly' from me.

All the good bits of the Bible are universally good moral practises to ensure social cohesion. All this is either common sense, taught by parents as they raise their children and in 'citizenship' style classes.

All the morally questionable bits of the Bible are often toned down/interpreted to mean something less harsh/written off as out of modern context in order to fit into the 21st century. Unfortunately some 'biblical morals' stick around and are definitely not a force for good especially those that promote homophobia, punishment of 'hellfire' to scare people into submission, the idea of unquestionable 'faith', anti-choice (too many mouths to feed leading to extreme poverty) and general misogyny.

I have no problem with teaching children about world religions. No child should be subjected to be told one religion is 'The Truth'TM and all the others are wrong, bad or silly.

Not all people have religious backgrounds. Christianity doesn't feature in my life and hasn't featured for several generations before me. I happened to have been born in a country where Christianity is the main religion.... so what? Not my heritage, it's just history.
"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
pennypitstop

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby rEvolutionist » Jul 07, 2011 11:44 am

I'll see if I can find some time to post there.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

Return to General Debunking