The 2012 BULLSHIT

Sick to death and f*ckin' tired of it already.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The 2012 BULLSHIT

#1  Postby thaesofereode » Jul 05, 2011 12:37 am

The 2012 "apocalypse" is utter, unmitigated garbage.

The worst damage will be that which is self-inflicted by the idiots who "believe in" this complete dreck. The only danger I see is the chaos resulting from what people will do to themselves and others, and the consequences of all this buildup and shrill hysteria. Level heads may not prevail if a large enough percentage of people are stupid enough. Thus we become our own worst enemy. The stupidiy of this defies all comprehension.

December 22nd, 2012 will be essentially no different from December 21st, 2012.

The best that those of us who KNOW it's crap can hope for is to find some means of making a profit out of it.

Okay. So if this is the same thing that someone else has already posted, go ahead and merge the threads, or drop-kick this one.

Ah, f*ck it. What's the use?

On THIS forum I'm preachin' to the bleedin' choir anyway.
thaesofereode

Print view this post

Re: The 2012 BULLSHIT

#2  Postby NineOneFour » Jul 05, 2011 1:33 am

Nice rant.

Fuck these idiots.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby byofrcs » Jul 05, 2011 1:41 am

Ummm how to money out of these idiots ? How about a 10-year calendar starting in 2012 in which 90% of the pages are not provided ?.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby BlackBart » Jul 05, 2011 7:57 am

If anyone professes a belief in this crap, offer to buy their house for a thousand euros/dollar with the caveat that you don't take possession until the 22nd December 2012. That'll certainly test the strength of their beliefs!
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Scar » Jul 05, 2011 8:01 am

BlackBart wrote:If anyone professes a belief in this crap, offer to buy their house for a thousand euros/dollar with the caveat that you don't take possession until the 22nd December 2012. That'll certainly test the strength of their beliefs!

Yeah. The fun thing is that, with a few sad exceptions (like the mother killing her kids), pretty much all of these fuckwits don't really believe in this nonsense, given that none of them acts and lives as though he's only got a very limited amount of days left anyway.

It's hypocricy, plain and simply. They know fuck well the world won't end on december 22 and are already preparing their excuses (at least subconsiously). They're mentally barely above children and this is all just one big game for them.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#6  Postby chairman bill » Jul 05, 2011 8:02 am

BlackBart wrote:If anyone professes a belief in this crap, offer to buy their house for a thousand euros/dollar with the caveat that you don't take possession until the 22nd December 2012. That'll certainly test the strength of their beliefs!

Tried it. I am not set to become a major land & property owner anytime soon. Maybe I've just not met anyone convinced enough by this idiocy. That or they thought that leaving me with the repair costs on their house after the end of the world was just too cruel.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 05, 2011 8:09 am

I had this discussion with my gf who was convinced it was real as she'd seen it on TV.... (Thailand has a zero tolerance policy towards instilling critical thinking)... so after trying unsuccessfully to reason with her (why would she believe me over the TV?), and to explain the historical background.... I finally gave up and said 'So why are you bothering going to university then, if you believe the world will end before you graduate?' - that one finally got through.

The point is that these memes, or whatever you want to call them, prey on weak minds that don't have a bullshit detecting toolkit. Pity is a far more adequate emotional response to hearing people blathering on about this; pity not just for them in being gullible enough to accept everything stated at face value, but pity for our species' lot. If we're going to face the challenges of our rapid technological expansion, we are going to depend on an ever better-educated public. If we fail to make provision for that, then we are sealing our own fates, and we most likely deserve it.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#8  Postby BlackBart » Jul 05, 2011 8:23 am

chairman bill wrote:

Tried it. I am not set to become a major land & property owner anytime soon. Maybe I've just not met anyone convinced enough by this idiocy. That or they thought that leaving me with the repair costs on their house after the end of the world was just too cruel.

Perhaps anyone who would be dim enough to believe it wouldn't be be bright enough to make it onto the property ladder in the first place.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby tvatillarton » Sep 08, 2011 7:05 pm

I agree with you. There are no telescopic evidence what so ever that indicates that the 2012-ending is anything else but media hype. It's just a pathetic way for mankind to remind ourselves that we might die sooner than we've planned - it's just a psychological way for us to appreciate our lives right now. Ofcourse nothing will happen, it just gives us a chance to do all the things we've always wanted to do before it's "too late".
tvatillarton

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Animavore » Sep 08, 2011 7:26 pm

Sick to death and f*ckin' tired of it already.

Where in the world are you? I've heard almost nothing.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Scar » Sep 08, 2011 7:34 pm

I'm still hoping that I'll be waking up to find that all retards have been ruptured away.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#12  Postby BlackBart » Sep 08, 2011 7:37 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hJQ18S6aag[/youtube]
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby johnbrandt » Sep 08, 2011 10:27 pm

Latest TV advert for Lynx deodorant...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7KE5iQFE0E[/youtube]
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby jamest » Sep 08, 2011 11:04 pm

thaesofereode wrote:The 2012 "apocalypse" is utter, unmitigated garbage.

I'm no expert, but thought that 2012 was not so much about apocalypse, but ultra-radical change?

... Given that, I think that most of us would actually hope that 'it' happens. Most of us are not actually happy serving a God named Dollar [and all that it entails], I think. The truth is that the world in general is crying-out for 'something different'.

I can understand why you're all utterly skeptical about such events. What I don't understand is why you all laugh each time they pass and nothing happens. Fuck me, I'm desperate for something to happen.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#15  Postby johnbrandt » Sep 08, 2011 11:57 pm

I've seen interviews with Mayan elders who are, to put it mildly, miffed that "new agers" have hijacked thier relgious beliefs to make some end of the world rubbish to cash in on.

The said that yes, the "end of the cycle" is on that date, but they believe it's going to be a "spiritual rebirth", not "the end of the world".
Call me whacky, but I'll give more time to the people who came up with the stuff in the first place than some hippy who's written a best-seller on it telling us through flaky science how the world is going to be ripped apart on that date...
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#16  Postby mindhack » Sep 09, 2011 1:06 am

jamest wrote:

I'm no expert, but thought that 2012 was not so much about apocalypse, but ultra-radical change?

...Given that,I think that most of us would actually hope that 'it' happens. Most of us are not actually happy serving a God named Dollar [and all that it entails], I think. The truth is that the world in general is crying-out for 'something different'.

I can understand why you're all utterly skeptical about such events. What I don't understand is why you all laugh each time they pass and nothing happens. Fuck me, I'm desperate for something to happen.

You, along with most of us presumably, are hoping for ultra-radical change?

:think:

I hope not. No matter what kind of change that implies it sounds as it will end up pretty badly for a lot of us. Not something to be desperate for.

Could you sketch a positive scenario?
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#17  Postby jamest » Sep 09, 2011 1:48 am

mindhack wrote:
jamest wrote:

...Given that,I think that most of us would actually hope that 'it' happens. Most of us are not actually happy serving a God named Dollar [and all that it entails], I think. The truth is that the world in general is crying-out for 'something different'.

You, along with most of us presumably, are hoping for ultra-radical change?

:think:

I hope not. No matter what kind of change that implies it sounds as it will end up pretty badly for a lot of us. Not something to be desperate for.

Could you sketch a positive scenario?

I just think that most people are pissed-off with being abused in a system in which only a very-small minority will [materially] benefit. The majority of us struggle (some badly) to get through (even survive), and live in hope that we'll win the lottery or something in order to escape the mundane financial pressures of life. We put up with capitalism because we know nothing else - other than communism (which, given 20th century history, failed) - and so 'drudge on'. Very few of us are happy, then, with society as a whole... and do hope for something much better, regardless of whether we can "sketch" it out for ourselves. In fact, the status quo is perpetuated simply because most of us cannot envisage anything different. Yet, our inabilities do not decapitate our hopes. Hope transcends what can be envisaged. The desire for world peace and universal prosperity, for instance, must necessarily do so - given present mindsets.

Occasionally, something/someone happens which challenges the status quo. For instance, the French revolution, or Marx. Times then change, particularly in some regions. Of course, not all of these changes signify an increase in the quality of life for everyone. Indeed, they may have a negative impact altogether. However, given that most of the population is relatively poor and struggling and subservient to a bunch of twats which milk the energies of the peasants in order to fatten their own purses, I'm quite confident in making the claim that most of us do actually covet serious societal change.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Mr.Samsa » Sep 09, 2011 2:13 am

Jamest: I think you're conflating the 2012 myths of the nutters that believe in the Mayan calendar nonsense (i.e. that the world is literally going to end), and the 2012 myths of the nutters that created Zeitgeist (i.e. something about the capitalist pigs and the NWO and 9/11 was an inside job, or something). The latter don't believe the world is going to end, but they are equally as nutty as the former.

Undeniably, some social changes will occur at some point. But to say it's going to change on one day in December 2012 either means one of two things: 1) the people prophesying this think they're psychics (in which case we know they're wrong because they're mentally unwell), or 2) the people believing in this have developed some method to bring down the entire superstructure of society in a single day (in which case we know they're wrong because it's not like you can just upload a virus into people's heads and stop them from trading goods for services). As an example of the last point, tell what day feudalism turned into capitalism.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#19  Postby paceetrate » Sep 09, 2011 7:37 am

paceetrate

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 09, 2011 8:18 am

I don't know how peaceful December 22, 2012 is actually going to be. I predict about 154,000 people will die on that day. Depending on the breaks.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Debunking