The Importance of being God

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The Importance of being God

#1  Postby hoopy frood » Jun 12, 2011 2:14 am

Why is it, one asks oneself, that all religious gods tend to be of the omniscient, omnipotent variety?

The obvious conclusion is of course that egomanic anthropocentrism is at play, and no theory which puts the Earth, us, or any of the Earth species at it's centre can therefore be taken at all seriously. The inherent tendency to aggrandise God is merely a reflection of our own self-absorbed egotism and self-aggrandisement.

It's all ego massage of the least imaginative variety.

If i were to indulge in some fantasy and suppose some creator of this universe I might just as likely imagine him to be some underpaid wage-slave in his own dimension, who barely makes a subsistence living from igniting universes in some shabby downtown cosmic factory.

If we're going to fantasise here, the religious fantasies are all far too cosily and pathetically anthopocentric. Personally I would prefer some ignoble deity who sold soft drugs, stole the occasional car to get home in after a binge on cheap gin and wasted the little he had on the lottery aka the gullibility tax .....were i to go to the bother of imagining one in the first place.
I don’t think we’re for anything, we’re just products of evolution. You can say “Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don’t think there’s a purpose,” but I’m anticipating a good lunch.

Theology: The study of elaborate verbal disguises for non-ideas
hoopy frood

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Re: The Importance of being God

#2  Postby Zwaarddijk » Jun 12, 2011 7:14 am

Based on shitty generalizations. Not worth reading.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Ironclad » Jun 12, 2011 7:40 am

I would think most of the deities were not omnipotent/scient, up until the mono-god most seemed to control an aspect of nature like rivers or childbirth, for example.
Although there was often an All-Father or King of the Gods, so I'm not sure where that leaves my thoughts.. ho hum
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Arcanyn » Jun 12, 2011 10:14 am

Why is it, one asks oneself, that all religious gods tend to be of the omniscient, omnipotent variety?

They're not. Only a tiny minority are, after some people took the "my god is bigger than your god" game a little too far.
Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby John P. M. » Jun 12, 2011 6:39 pm

There are plenty of non-omnipotent, drunkard, mischievous, asshole Gods out there in the junkyard of theistic ideas. Some probably 'alive' even today, but most are 'dead' by now. Gods seem to reflect the culture they 'grow up in', and some grow out of folklore. The longer lived Gods sometimes change over time to reflect societal changes, from being Gods of war and havoc, to Gods of peace, for instance - whatever is needed at the time.
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

Return to General Debunking