The Truth About Land Reclamation

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Truth About Land Reclamation

#101  Postby laklak » May 07, 2016 10:10 pm

Our house in North Carolina was on Walker Bald, just 100 yards below the treeline. It was gorgeous up there, covered in wild strawberries in the summer. Dogs loved it. There was a research station at the top, my nephew used to do summer internships there, and he discovered an undescribed species of fungus. They're still reviewing it but he'll eventually get to name it.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#102  Postby The_Piper » May 07, 2016 10:18 pm

Cool about the fungus. If he wants to discover more undescribed species, he could do field work up here. :tongue:
I have wild strawberries on my property too, and wild raspberries. Some apple trees too. :)
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#103  Postby laklak » May 07, 2016 10:24 pm

One you've had wild strawberry jam you'll never eat the fake store bought shit again. Lots of blackberries there too, our front yard was basically one gigantic briar patch. I made a lot of blackberry pies. I miss that property, but it was just too close into civilization.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#104  Postby The_Piper » May 07, 2016 10:27 pm

laklak wrote:One you've had wild strawberry jam you'll never eat the fake store bought shit again. Lots of blackberries there too, our front yard was basically one gigantic briar patch. I made a lot of blackberry pies. I miss that property, but it was just too close into civilization.

Nice. I keep forgetting to try eating some of the strawberries. It would take a while to pick enough to be worthwhile, and not worth the sore knees I guess. I eat some of the apples and raspberries, just pick them and eat them as they are. Good stuff. The squirrels, woodchucks, etc eat my apples too. :)
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#105  Postby Fenrir » May 08, 2016 12:56 am

We have similar (but perhaps smaller idk) balds here in the Bunya Mountains). Instead of the balds being features which developed within the dorest there is good work suggesting the balds are the ancestral (last ice age) state and the forest the recent arrival. Remaining balds are the remnants which have not been forested yet, possibly because they are the most exposed and infertile patches. Turns out it is burning regime which is the key process which historically kept the balds open.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Debunking