Dan Barker Vs. Cardinal george Pell 11 March 2010

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Dan Barker Vs. Cardinal george Pell 11 March 2010

#1  Postby MattHunX » Mar 24, 2010 6:49 am

For discussion.

Side note: my "theist-lying-and-spreading-misconceptions-about-science"-Meter went off in the first minute, at he Cardinal's opening speech. Or others might call it Bullshit-Meter.

http://www.mq.edu.au/mqvideos/pell_barker.html
MattHunX

Print view this post

Re: Dan Barker Vs. Cardinal george Pell 11 March 2010

#2  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Mar 24, 2010 6:54 am

If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby MattHunX » Mar 24, 2010 6:56 am

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:Pell is an idiot. Evidence here: http://www.theage.com.au/national/pell- ... -l8fy.html

:clap: :cheers: Indeed. This was the first I've heard from the guy, and in the first minute his intellectual dishonesty was apparent.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#4  Postby Nocterro » Mar 24, 2010 7:30 am

Dan Barker isn't so great either. In a previous debate, he objected to his own work being quoted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ-NBFFMm90
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -Siddhārtha Gautama
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Mar 24, 2010 8:04 am

Nocterro wrote:Dan Barker isn't so great either. In a previous debate, he objected to his own work being quoted.

I haven't really seen anything from Barker. It doesn't invalidate Pell being an idiot.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Aught3 » Mar 24, 2010 8:49 am

Will check this out later.
League of Reason: Freethinkers, unite!
Aught3

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby faithless and free » Mar 24, 2010 9:32 am

Wow. I was embarrassed for Pell. He's just shown what an amatuer he is at debating.
'Fight against them until idolatry is no more and Allah's religion reigns supreme'
-The Koran.
Religion of peace? Yeah right.
faithless and free

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#8  Postby angelo » Mar 24, 2010 11:43 am

I have read Barkers book ''godless''. Actually it's quite good. It has a forward from Richard Dawkins.
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby angelo » Mar 24, 2010 12:04 pm

What can one say about Pell that hasn't already been said here. The man is delusional or a fraud. He cannot be anything else.
And this is the man who knew about sexual abuse of children but considered the church to be more important than the lives of the little Innocent children, so he chose to hush it up.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby hackenslash » Mar 24, 2010 12:49 pm

'Chance' canard straight out of the gate. Case dismissed.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby MattHunX » Mar 24, 2010 3:13 pm

Nocterro wrote:Dan Barker isn't so great either. In a previous debate, he objected to his own work being quoted.

Oh? :eh:

Dan Barker was a devout believer for a large portion of his life, decades, like many atheists today. He is, in my opinion the most credible (formal) debater, since he understands what's it like to sincerely believe in that non-sense and live his life by it everyday and even teach it ...etc.

And a pest like Pell, who sincerely believes prayer can cure cancer, and who, right in the first minute of his "argument", is already misrepresenting atheism cannot hope to make one sound argument against someone like Barker. Pell has started off by lying straight away of what atheism represents and how science works. Someone should introduce him also to Richard Dawkins' 1-7 scale. On which any self-respecting atheist (a few don't, most are) will put themselves on number 6.

Guess where they majority of theists would themselves belong. On no.1. The arrogant certitude being the hallmark of their religion. Yes, there are plenty exceptions, but it doesn't change who is really quite often the dishonest and 100% of their belief. It's in their "argument".

They can't give a plausible explanation of how they are certain, that the omnipotent and omniscient being with "maximal excellence" whose existence they're postulating even exists. For example, their Ontological argument, with its circular logic, is just one of their pathetic attempts at trying to make a case.
Last edited by MattHunX on Mar 25, 2010 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#12  Postby angelo » Mar 25, 2010 8:11 am

Some like Deepa Chopra [spel] are saying that we don't know what happened at a billionth of a second before the Big Bang. There he exclaims is god. Science can't explain that infinitesimal time period so there must be a god. They argue with scientific sounding words that pulls in the gullible. That Guru [who I forgot how to spell his name] has sold millions of books on mambo jumbo.
Barker had Pell speechless to a point where he made a complete ass of himself, as most theists get when debating someone who knows what they're talking about. All they are able to quote is their blind faith, nothing else can stand up to the scientific scrutiny of their words salad.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby MattHunX » Mar 25, 2010 8:20 am

angelo wrote:Some like Deepa Chopra [spel] are saying that we don't know what happened at a billionth of a second before the Big Bang. There he exclaims is god. Science can't explain that infinitesimal time period so there must be a god. They argue with scientific sounding words that pulls in the gullible. That Guru [who I forgot how to spell his name] has sold millions of books on mambo jumbo.
Barker had Pell speechless to a point where he made a complete ass of himself, as most theists get when debating someone who knows what they're talking about. All they are able to quote is their blind faith, nothing else can stand up to the scientific scrutiny of their words salad.

Ah, Thanks for mentioning Chopra, since this thread isn't about him I will open a new one, I want to share something I've noticed after watching Sam Harris' recent debate with that arrogant pest. It's not just about Chopra, but all debaters I've seen so far. :cheers:
MattHunX

Print view this post

#14  Postby angelo » Mar 25, 2010 10:55 am

Yes, I also watched that debate on the ABC last night.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Theism