Dawkins-inspired Ontological argument

Metaphysics of complexity

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Dawkins-inspired Ontological argument

#241  Postby BooBoo » Apr 26, 2015 11:50 pm

Nebogipfel wrote:

Right, so:

1. the maximally great being is superlative in every property.
2. There are some properties the maximal being does not have.
3. Therefore, the maximally great being is not superlative in every property.

1 and 3 are a contradiction. In other words, a maximally great being makes no sense.

A maximally great being - i.e an almighty being - cannot be a maximally ungreat being. The property of being effete or weak is just an absence or deficiency of the property of strength and might, and not something to which a great being would aspire to. Hence, there is no contradiction in the maximally great being exhibiting properties characteristic of greatness and not impotence.
BooBoo
Banned Troll

Name: Rowena

Print view this post

#242  Postby BooBoo » Apr 26, 2015 11:55 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:

Then why-the-literal-fuck are you trying to explain God to the atheists? Your explanation, therefore, is necessarily a bit confused.Oh, wait. You just want to talk about existence. Bring on Yablo conceivability and the relata of a property-exemplification nexus.

The point that Dawkins raises is a valid one. If there is a God, where did he come from and why does he exist? Surely, it would be more probable that there was no uncreated divine agent? It appears to be a good argument against the very possibility of God's existence. However, if it is admitted that it would have been simpler and more likely if nothing were in existence then the existence of anything at all becomes a problem for the atheist as that would mean that God may not require an explanation for his existence after all.
BooBoo
Banned Troll

Name: Rowena

Print view this post

#243  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 27, 2015 12:09 am

BooBoo wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:
A maximally great being cannot have the property of…

An interesting concept.

God cannot cease to exist. But is that a limitation?

Of course. It's so simple everyone can do it except him.

Also, how do you know that?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#244  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 27, 2015 12:11 am

BooBoo wrote:
Nebogipfel wrote:

Right, so:

1 and 3 are a contradiction. In other words, a maximally great being makes no sense.

A maximally great being - i.e an almighty being - cannot be a maximally ungreat being. The property of being effete or weak is just an absence or deficiency of the property of strength and might, and not something to which a great being would aspire to. Hence, there is no contradiction in the maximally great being exhibiting properties characteristic of greatness and not impotence.

How on earth do you know what such a great being would aspire to? Have you met this thing you are talking about? Had a chat with him have you?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#245  Postby Shrunk » Apr 27, 2015 12:27 am

BooBoo wrote:
Anontheist wrote:
If God can exist without explanation, then so too can the universe. So can existence. So can a bacon sandwich.

God's existence is not separate from the existence of anything, including a bacon sandwich. As for the universe existing without explanation, you need to examine the cosmological argument.

Besides being every bit as stupid as the ontological argument, it does not demonstrate that the universe has an explanatiion (i.e. cause). Rather, that is one of the premises upon which it is based.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#246  Postby Shrunk » Apr 27, 2015 12:28 am

BooBoo wrote:
Anontheist wrote:
If God can exist without explanation, then so too can the universe. So can existence. So can a bacon sandwich.

God's existence is not separate from the existence of anything, including a bacon sandwich. As for the universe existing without explanation, you need to examine the cosmological argument.

If something exists, then it is possible for a maximally great bacon sandwich to exist.

Once again, a bacon sandwich, or any contingent being, cannot be a maximally great being.

The maximally great bacon sandwich would not be contingent. Duh.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#247  Postby Thommo » Apr 27, 2015 1:18 am

I'm getting quite depressed now.
Thommo

Print view this post

#248  Postby Fenrir » Apr 27, 2015 2:54 am

It only counts if you're maximally depressed.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#249  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 27, 2015 3:13 am

Goddamnit, now I want a back in sandwich.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#250  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 27, 2015 3:14 am

You should always put your back into things that are important.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#251  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 27, 2015 3:23 am

BooBoo wrote:However, if it is admitted that it would have been simpler and more likely if nothing were in existence then the existence of anything at all becomes a problem for the atheist as that would mean that God may not require an explanation for his existence after all.

You've missed a critical component of logical argument, here. If it is to be admitted that it would have been simpler if nothing existed, then what induces us to admit that? And certainly, if nothing were in existence, then that is to denote literally nothing. Unless your notion of God is 'nothing', you still have some 'splainin to do. If your notion of God is 'nothing', then you'd better get busy constructing your theology around that idea, and it won't be including any crap along the lines of 'maximal greatness'.

You've already been asked this several times and in various ways by other respondents to your nonsense, and it is now evident that you lack any response to these sorts of challenges. Sure, it's simpler not to provide responses to these sorts of challenges, but you're not going to convert anyone to your belief system by laying low like that.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#252  Postby Spinozasgalt » Apr 27, 2015 10:03 am

Thommo wrote:I'm getting quite depressed now.

You're sexy. You don't have to be happy, too.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#253  Postby Xaihe » Apr 27, 2015 4:56 pm

The maximally great god-eater would not be contingent and would necessarily have eaten all gods. Otherwise it would not be maximally great. Thus necessarily all gods must have been eaten by maximally great god-eaters instantly.
Consciousness is make believe. Just think about it.
Xaihe

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#254  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Apr 27, 2015 11:26 pm

Had humans evolved just a little differently, they [gods] would have never have been imagined into existence.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#255  Postby Fallible » Apr 28, 2015 7:03 am

BooBoo wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:
A maximally great being cannot have the property of…

An interesting concept.

God cannot cease to exist. But is that a limitation?

Yes, as denoted by the word 'cannot'.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#256  Postby Fallible » Apr 28, 2015 7:12 am

BooBoo wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

Then why-the-literal-fuck are you trying to explain God to the atheists? Your explanation, therefore, is necessarily a bit confused.Oh, wait. You just want to talk about existence. Bring on Yablo conceivability and the relata of a property-exemplification nexus.

The point that Dawkins raises is a valid one. If there is a God, where did he come from and why does he exist? Surely, it would be more probable that there was no uncreated divine agent? It appears to be a good argument against the very possibility of God's existence. However, if it is admitted that it would have been simpler and more likely if nothing were in existence then the existence of anything at all becomes a problem for the atheist as that would mean that God may not require an explanation for his existence after all.

You speak with such authority, BooBoo. You seem to know an awful lot. How do you know these things? I mean it just looks like pure arse-born drivel to me. Perhaps you have been privy to some special knowledge though. Moreover, you type like someone unused to your assertions being challenged. You simply respond by posting yet more assertions. It's like this - what you have outlined here as a problem for atheists is no problem for me whatsoever. That's because my atheism is not based upon anything that Dawkins said, or any argument against the existence of God. And now you're upsetting my Thommo, which cannot be allowed. So stop it.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#257  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 28, 2015 9:52 am

Onyx8 wrote:You should always put your back into things that are important.

And that's how you know I was typing on my phone.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#258  Postby chairman bill » Apr 28, 2015 10:12 am

Late to this one. Can I just add this, accepting for point of argument that the OP's first four points stand (which they actually do not)

5. If we accept the principle that something can and does exist rather than nothing, which is true, then we have to logically also accept the principle that a sky-blue pink, three-toed snortiblog can and does exist. I mean, it's fucking obvious.

6. If we accept the principle that something can and does exist rather than nothing, which is true, then we have to logically also accept the principle that a maximally great being can and does exist, and so too must its brothers & sisters, mother & father (all beings have similar antecedents), aunts & uncles, grandparents, and so on. So a currently unknown pantheon of deities can & must exist too.

7. If we accept the principle that shit arguments for god(s) can and do exist rather than no arguments at all, which is true, then we have to logically also accept the principle that the OP presents a shit argument. And who could possibly gainsay that?
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#259  Postby Nebogipfel » Apr 28, 2015 5:41 pm

BooBoo wrote:
Nebogipfel wrote:

Right, so:

A maximally great being - i.e an almighty being - cannot...

Then it's not maximally great.
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#260  Postby Scar » Apr 28, 2015 7:53 pm

An almighty being... Cannot. Oh the awesome power of theistic idiocy.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism