Dreams of God

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Dreams of God

#1  Postby Shasura » Mar 07, 2010 12:13 pm

Why is it that we dont hear of people who dream of God... tell me did any body out there dream of God lately... Not the picture God in the pictures on peoples walls... i mean the one that when you dream of it, you know it is the One..
Shasura

Print view this post

Re: Dreams of God

#2  Postby Animavore » Mar 07, 2010 12:18 pm

I dreamt I was Jesus once. I was in a Mediterranean village with villas around me with arches joining them. Satan came into it as a stick man with a flickering fiery glow around him. He crawled along the wall and onto the underside of the arch. I levitated of the ground with my arms outstretched, palms facing skyward, and banished him.

Weird. I was never a believer. Of course, all my dreams are weird so nothing special.

EDIT: :doh: Did you spot it too?
Last edited by Animavore on Mar 07, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby michael^3 » Mar 07, 2010 12:23 pm

Shasura wrote:Why is it that we dont hear of people who dream of God...

I've noticed this too. It's indeed a funny thing that people very rarely seem to dream about god, or Jesus or Buddha and the likes. It's funny because many people think about them a lot, and dreams often involve the processing of our daytime thoughts.

tell me did any body out there dream of God lately... Not the picture God in the pictures on peoples walls... i mean the one that when you dream of it, you know it is the One..

I'm most curious too.
Happy the man who delights in God's law and meditates on it day and night.
michael^3

Print view this post

#4  Postby Shasura » Mar 07, 2010 12:30 pm

ok maybe we can find out together...lets see what we can find out here
Shasura

Print view this post

#5  Postby Shasura » Mar 07, 2010 12:36 pm

I just wrote alot now its gone again...
Ok let me try again..
We alsways dreaming of the picture god.... the on on a necklace or the one on a picture that hangs on a wall... where is the God that created all of this... If Jesus was to be layed down in the road and a 1ton block of stone placed on his chest, would this be our dreams... we are so visualy stimulated what about the real God then... Not Dreaming that we are Him... just dreams of God....
Shasura

Print view this post

#6  Postby SpiritualNotReligius » Mar 07, 2010 1:58 pm

Shasura wrote:Why is it that we dont hear of people who dream of God... tell me did any body out there dream of God lately... Not the picture God in the pictures on peoples walls... i mean the one that when you dream of it, you know it is the One..

You expect to hear of dreams such as that on atheist forums? :) Why would anybody bring that up here?

Otherwise get off this forum, search around and there are plenty :) My dreams of god have never include the pictures hanging on your wall or around your neck :) :)
SpiritualNotReligius

Print view this post

#7  Postby Animavore » Mar 07, 2010 3:05 pm

SpiritualNotReligius wrote:
Shasura wrote:Why is it that we dont hear of people who dream of God... tell me did any body out there dream of God lately... Not the picture God in the pictures on peoples walls... i mean the one that when you dream of it, you know it is the One..

You expect to hear of dreams such as that on atheist forums? :) Why would anybody bring that up here?

Otherwise get off this forum, search around and there are plenty :) My dreams of god have never include the pictures hanging on your wall or around your neck :) :)

Why wouldn't you? I just posted one such dream above.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#8  Postby SpiritualNotReligius » Mar 07, 2010 4:25 pm

Animavore wrote:

Why wouldn't you? I just posted one such dream above.

Notice in my OP of the quote, it can't be like a picture of god on people's walls. And you have to know "that is the one". Your dream was of Jesus so you knew that because of ???? You had never seen a picture on a wall of Jesus??? Yours was completely independent of that?

And you did fancy things but you didn't wake up a believer. The OP is wondering why believers don't dream of "the one" :)

I do think if the OP would attend various forums of belief (other than the end times forums :) ) that dreams of Jesus and or Buddha or angels or god as light would be talked about by many and they would know it is the "one" :)
SpiritualNotReligius

Print view this post

#9  Postby Sphynxcat » Mar 07, 2010 4:28 pm

Animavore wrote:I dreamt I was Jesus once. I was in a Mediterranean village with villas around me with arches joining them. Satan came into it as a stick man with a flickering fiery glow around him. He crawled along the wall and onto the underside of the arch. I levitated of the ground with my arms outstretched, palms facing skyward, and banished him.

Weird. I was never a believer. Of course, all my dreams are weird so nothing special.

EDIT: :doh: Did you spot it too?

That sounds really cool! Was it anything like the Spidey/Doc Ock fight from Spiderman 2?
Author of 'Dreamshade', one weird and wild fantasy epic: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/15916
Sphynxcat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Animavore » Mar 07, 2010 4:30 pm

Notice in my OP of the quote, it can't be like a picture of god on people's walls. And you have to know "that is the one". Your dream was of Jesus so you knew that because of ???? You had never seen a picture on a wall of Jesus??? Yours was completely independent of that?

Actually I [i]was[/] Jesus in the dream so I didn't see him at all. There was no mirror in the dream.

Sphynxcat wrote:That sounds really cool! Was it anything like the Spidey/Doc Ock fight from Spiderman 2?

No. It was more like something out of a manga cartoon. Sort of wind came out of me and first blew out the flames before blowing stickman Satan away.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Sphynxcat » Mar 07, 2010 4:38 pm

^^That's still pretty cool though. Kind of a theological version of lighting a fart (albeit unsuccessfully).
Author of 'Dreamshade', one weird and wild fantasy epic: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/15916
Sphynxcat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby twistor59 » Mar 08, 2010 5:30 pm

Mm, interesting point - I'd never thought of that. But yeah, even in my deepest depths of christianity, I never dreamt of God or Jesus, (or Satan). You'd think that if they we're so important to me, I'd at least have dreamt about a voice or something. God was talking to the OT dudes in dreams all the time.
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Occam's Laser » Mar 08, 2010 5:41 pm

The Bible claims God spoke to several individuals through dreams: Genesis 20 (Abimelech), Genesis 31 (Laban the Aramean), Genesis 41 (Pharaoh), 1 Samuel 28 (Saul, evidently no longer), 1 Kings 3 (Solomon), and Matthew 2 (the Magi, and Joseph the father of Jesus).

Which begs the question: how does one differentiate between someone simply dreaming about God, and God communicating to someone via a dream?
Occam's Laser

Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby michael^3 » Mar 08, 2010 9:29 pm

Our dreams are for most part a jumble of unfinished thoughts, desires, fears. It is my opinion that God or Jesus will not deign to show up in such a mess. That's why visitations are so rare.
Happy the man who delights in God's law and meditates on it day and night.
michael^3

Print view this post

#15  Postby Shasura » Mar 17, 2010 7:36 pm

Dreams.... the living part of our subcontious mind.... so why is that part dead..
Shasura

Print view this post

#16  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 17, 2010 7:40 pm

I always have dreams of god-like eldritch abominations.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby z8000783 » Mar 17, 2010 8:14 pm

Shasura wrote:Dreams.... the living part of our subcontious mind.... so why is that part dead..

Who says its dead?

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Arcanyn » Mar 18, 2010 6:24 am

I once had a rather interesting sleep paralysis incident in which I met the Greek god Thanatos. I "woke up" from a dream to find a tall, dark skinned man standing at the end of my bed. Unable to move, I asked him who he was, at which point he simply laughed and flew towards me, at which point the bed started violently shaking like that scene from The Exorcist. After a few seconds of panic I was able to convince him to leave me alone, and he flew back to the end of the bed. At that point he revealed his true face, a grinning skull, before disappearing, which was at the same point at which I woke up for real this time (although the image of his skull was still in my vision for several seconds after I woke up). The whole incident was so realistic that had I been less skeptically inclined, and not known about how sleep paralysis works, I could very well have thought that the experience was real and ended up believing in the gods of Olympus (my tendency to notice that you generally wouldn't tend to survive if you really were attacked by the god of death of course precluded that). Nevertheless, it did provide a rather interesting insight into how certain types of religious experiences are generated, and how they could potentially be very compelling for the believer. It doesn't take much imagination to realise how Christians might react if they were to have a similar sleep-paralysis experience, but instead replacing Thanatos with an angel or demon.
Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby tnjrp » Mar 18, 2010 6:58 am

I had a dream of a god recently. Not quite the kind one would expect, I suppose:
general-faith/mind-game-your-god-is-dead-t2324.html
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#20  Postby xrayzed » Mar 18, 2010 7:29 am

I had a dream about God a month or so ago. I don't recall the details now, other than having some weird sense that everything had some deep meaning.

When I was a Christian back in my teens I had a dream about wrestling with Satan. Big burly SOB, horns and all, and we had our arms locked while he tried to stare me down with glowing red eyes. I knew it was just a dream even then, but it still freaked the shit out of me.
A thinking creationist is an oxymoron. A non-thinking creationist is just a moron.
(Source: johannessiig, here)
xrayzed

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Return to Theism