Fun and religion

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Fun and religion

#21  Postby Clive Durdle » Mar 30, 2015 8:00 pm

God in the flesh

Please explain more of your beliefs - I think that is from a Creed, but I would like to know what flavour you are.

Why do we have white vans, fridges and washing machines?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#22  Postby jinxu » Mar 30, 2015 8:20 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:
God in the flesh

Please explain more of your beliefs - I think that is from a Creed, but I would like to know what flavour you are.

Why do we have white vans, fridges and washing machines?

"God in the flesh" as in a triune God. God the father, God the son, and God the Holy Spirit. Meaning that I believe in Jesus' divine nature. Currently I belong to a presbyterian church though my family has been predominantly methodist. But to be honest I don't even know all the finer differences. Typically in the past I considered myself non-denominational. Not sure if that answers your question.

I am guessing the second half is a joke so I don't know, why?
jinxu

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Clive Durdle » Mar 30, 2015 8:22 pm

It isn't actually! I thought it was down to Cromwell
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Clive Durdle » Mar 30, 2015 8:27 pm

non denominational

Boston University religion scholar Stephen Prothero argues that nondenominationalism hides the fundamental theological and spiritual issues that drove the division of Christianity into denominations in the first place behind a veneer of "Christian unity". He argues that nondenominationalism encourages a descent of Christianity—and indeed, all religions—into comfortable "general moralism" rather than being a focus for facing the complexities of churchgoers' culture and spirituality. Prothero further argues that it also encourages ignorance of the Scriptures, which in turn reduces overall religious literacy, increasing the potential for inter-religious misunderstandings and conflict.[3]

Fr. Jonathan A. Mitchican, a traditionalist Anglican priest, has also argued that the term non-denominational is essentially misleading: "If an American church calls itself “non-denominational,” nine times out of ten what that means is Baptist. Altar calls and appeals to personal conversion replace the sacraments as the means of grace. Baptism is a symbol of one’s personal conversion, nothing more, and it is only appropriate for adults", however this both misstates what baptists believe and what evangelical and 'low-church' anglicans believe. - A sacrament is a 'ministration of grace', whereas the 16th century reformation was based upon salvation by grace through faith wholly removed from the works of the flesh, furthermore baptists do not limit baptism to adults, Amish and Mennonites (who believe in baptismal salvation) do such, baptists believe in believer's baptism, if a child of 8 or 9 is able to make a believable profession of faith then they may (must) be baptized.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nondenomin ... ristianity

OK, which are you? Evangelical baptist or wishy washy? :)
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby jinxu » Mar 30, 2015 8:35 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:It isn't actually! I thought it was down to Cromwell

I must be missing some kind of reference here. "...down to Cromwell"?

If you're making me choose then "wishy-washy" in that there are things about any particular church that I disagree with based on what I have been learning while reading the Bible. Easter and Christmas being some big ones. Additionally, baptism of children. Not trying to avoid your question just never stopped to categorize myself.
jinxu

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Clive Durdle » Mar 30, 2015 8:53 pm

Ok, are you born again? Have you been baptised in the holy spirit?

If you are agin xmas so was Cromwell!

Churches used to be multimedia experiences before they were whitewashed by the puritans, Canal boats and gypsy caravans have kept some of the traditions of painting stuff, but the puritans won with fridges and white vans!

So we have had colour (I see fun as related) painted out of our lives! BBC2 Colour snooker was of course the beginnings of the second coming!
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Clive Durdle » Mar 30, 2015 8:54 pm

Sorry, it was Gone with the Wind, Coca Cola and Disney!
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Onyx8 » Mar 30, 2015 9:35 pm

And that whole Job story, many a belly laugh in that.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#29  Postby jinxu » Mar 30, 2015 10:02 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:Ok, are you born again? Have you been baptised in the holy spirit?

If you are agin xmas so was Cromwell!

Churches used to be multimedia experiences before they were whitewashed by the puritans, Canal boats and gypsy caravans have kept some of the traditions of painting stuff, but the puritans won with fridges and white vans!

So we have had colour (I see fun as related) painted out of our lives! BBC2 Colour snooker was of course the beginnings of the second coming!

Yes, born again, but still struggling with my sinful nature. Baptized in the Holy Spirit, I thought I was, even prayed in "tongues." Nowadays, I am not sure what it really means to be baptized in the Holy Spirit. I know, at least, it has very little to do with the gifts (prophecy, tongues, healing, etc) and more to do with sanctification.

Please elaborate on this idea of "color" (USA baby! No u's) So, color is a metaphor for fun. So the church used to be more fun before the Puritans? And now after too bland, no fun?
jinxu

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby jinxu » Mar 30, 2015 10:06 pm

Onyx8 wrote:And that whole Job story, many a belly laugh in that.

Well, I thought the part about where God tells Job to brace himself like a man was pretty funny.
jinxu

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby epepke » Mar 30, 2015 10:24 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:Is there a reason why primarily some of the monotheisms seem to be against fun? I know there are exceptions like the Orthodoxy and Judaism, but why did Islam and Western xianities go puritan and agin sin?

It seems to me simpler than that.

Religion is about controlling people. The more people suffer, the easier they are to control.

One would expect to find exceptions where there is already enough suffering to go around and keep the believers manageable. This would explain Judaism and maybe the Russian Orthodoxy.

This might break down if one could identify either 1) monotheisms that are fun-positive without a lot of external reasons to suffer. Maybe Greek Orthodoxy would fit this one. But there seems to have been a fair amount of suffering in Greece in recent decades, from the economic problems now to the starvation during World War II, which was only partially ameliorated by grazing. Or 2) polytheisms and other forms of religion that are fun-positive without suffering, or 3) a pattern differentiating monotheisms from others. I'm not sure about those two. Buddhism ostensibly seeks to remove suffering, but it isn't very fun-based. Hinduism is probably too diverse for a single thing, but I see plenty of suffering where it flourishes and not a lot of fun, either. Though ancient Hindus seemed pretty sex-positive, perhaps there was even more suffering (starvation, etc.) then. It all is quite complicated.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Apr 07, 2015 1:27 am

jinxu wrote:
CdesignProponentsist wrote:Controlling one's thoughts (good thoughts vs bad thoughts) is a staple of any cult. Having fun usually involves free thought.

But in the course of having fun I hurt someone else wouldn't that be wrong? I see your point about cults and mind-control but good is good and bad is bad isn't it?

*edit*
If what is good for you is bad for me then what then?

You can have fun without hurting someone, and there is something called consequences for when you do. But stick to the golden rule (treat others as you would want to be treated) and you should be okay.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#33  Postby purplerat » Apr 07, 2015 8:38 pm

People want to have fun, and will do so even if it's banned. So religion bans it and makes it evil then offers a path to redemption for when people inevitably do have fun. It's simply a method of controlling people by taking natural urges, and desires and creating an artificial need to fix such things.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby purplerat » Apr 07, 2015 8:49 pm

jinxu wrote:I define "fun" as something that provides me a sense of happiness. Funny movies are fun. Joking with friends is fun. Working on a project at work and seeing progress is fun.

Can't speak for all religions, only mine, and I don't find anything in the Bible condemning fun. Just because the Bible espouses the benefits of hard work doesn't equal condemnation of having fun. The Bible does point out many things that are considered sinful and if those things are what you find fun then of course you are being sinful. Now, if what I find fun impacts someone else in a negative way then I wouldn't do it in front of them.

Well, I suppose, good for you that you don't find anything in the Bible that condemns fun (or by extension happiness). But that doesn't work for me. By the Biblical definition of adultery I'm and adulterer, having been married once then getting divorced but not for any Jesus-approved reason, then remarrying. So I'm clearly in violation of one of the Commandments which if I gave a shit about and tried to follow would take away a great deal of fun and happiness in my life.

It's great that I can so easily brush that off and not care about it now but there was definitely a time in my life when that upset me greatly and I did deny myself fun and happiness to stay in line with religious beliefs. That really sucked.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Theism