Guy gives me "The strongest proof of god"

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Guy gives me "The strongest proof of god"

#1  Postby wonka08 » Mar 29, 2010 10:26 pm

I was on youtube today and was watching a Dawkins video when I noticed a little flame war going on in the comments (always happens). A religious fundamentalist was claiming evolution is false etc. So I told him that I would believe in God if he could give me proof or provide me with some sort of argument. This is the video he came up with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q56S1fIyj0E

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q56S1fIyj0E[/youtube]
"There are no atheists in foxholes isn't an argument against atheists, it's an argument against foxholes."

Fan of Astronomy? Click here to see the latest photos of the universe.
wonka08

Male

Print view this post

Re: Guy gives me "The strongest proof of god"

#3  Postby debunk » Mar 29, 2010 10:51 pm

Ignoring the fact that the video doesn't actually have the woman describing anything she "saw", or proves that she had these experiences at a time she was brain-dead (they seem to be alluding to that at the end), how on earth is this evidence for the existence of a deity, let alone the christian one?
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
debunk

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby DaveDodo007 » Mar 30, 2010 3:46 am

Well I'm convinced, just off to burn some heretics....
As long as your ideology identifies the main source of the world's ills as a definable group, it opens the world up to genocide. -Steven Pinker.
DaveDodo007
Banned Troll

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#5  Postby josephchoi » Mar 30, 2010 3:57 am

wonka08 wrote:I was on youtube today and was watching a Dawkins video when I noticed a little flame war going on in the comments (always happens). A religious fundamentalist was claiming evolution is false etc. So I told him that I would believe in God if he could give me proof or provide me with some sort of argument. This is the video he came up with.

if THAT'S the strongest proof of god, it really speaks volumes, doesn't it?
Donuts don't wear alligator shoes!
josephchoi

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Shuggy » Mar 30, 2010 4:17 am

I have a 19th century story by a deaf girl who dreamed she could hear, but she describes sounds as being very much like light, and it's clear she still has no concept of sound.

In the same way, the only things this woman claims to "see" at all clearly are her ring and her hair, with which she would be very familiar by touch. Now if she could describe accurately the number of lights over the operating table, or any decoration on the ceiling, that would be impressive - but still not evidence for any deity.

"There are no atheists in foxholes isn't an argument against atheists, it's an argument against foxholes."
I like that very much.
The Wero Shop - products to make you laugh and think
Shuggy

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby katja z » Mar 30, 2010 4:17 pm

wonka08 wrote:I was on youtube today and was watching a Dawkins video when I noticed a little flame war going on in the comments (always happens). A religious fundamentalist was claiming evolution is false etc. So I told him that I would believe in God if he could give me proof or provide me with some sort of argument. This is the video he came up with.

Ouch. If I were God, I'd be really embarrassed about having such believers. :facepalm:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8  Postby theidiot » Mar 30, 2010 7:49 pm

In the same way, the only things this woman claims to "see" at all clearly are her ring and her hair, with which she would be very familiar by touch.

How would she know her skin color, or even the color of the ring? or what color her hair was? How could she make distinction in her dreams that require a perception of colors?
theidiot

Print view this post

#9  Postby Jef » Mar 30, 2010 8:05 pm

theidiot wrote:

In the same way, the only things this woman claims to "see" at all clearly are her ring and her hair, with which she would be very familiar by touch.

How would she know her skin color, or even the color of the ring? or what color her hair was? How could she make distinction in her dreams that require a perception of colors?

You don't think that would be the sort of thing a blind person would ask someone else at some point in their life? More to the point, how would a blind person know what particular colour label goes with what subjective experience? If she had never experienced a particular colour then she would have no way of knowing what colour she was seeing unless someone had previously told her what colour an object was!
Jef
RS Donator

Print view this post

#10  Postby Onyx8 » Mar 30, 2010 8:22 pm

What's it got to do with God, regardless? Just because she has already heard of God, therefore this experience must be proof that this being exists? What a non-sequitur.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby z8000783 » Mar 30, 2010 11:03 pm

So do you believe in God now as a result of this?

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#12  Postby wonka08 » Mar 31, 2010 1:07 am

z8000783 wrote:

So do you believe in God now as a result of this?

John

Hell no. I laughed at him when he sent me this.

Fan of Astronomy? Click here to see the latest photos of the universe.
wonka08

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby Shuggy » Apr 03, 2010 2:39 am

theidiot wrote:

Who says she could? I see nothing about those, but even if she did say (eg) "My skin was pink, my ring was gold, my hair was dark", we have no way of knowing what she would have meant by that. Like the deaf girl, she might register texture or temperature or hardness (or a mixture of those) as colours and still have no idea what colours look like.
The Wero Shop - products to make you laugh and think
Shuggy

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Return to Theism