How did you become a theist?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

I was an Atheist

#1  Postby theidiot » Mar 09, 2010 12:48 pm

I was an atheist for my most of my adult life, but I accepted Christianity a few years ago.

What would the assumptions be about my atheism? That it wasn't 'true' atheism, because a 'true' atheist would never convert to belief? That I was less of a critical thinker than atheist who retain their unbelief? That I've only given my disbelief superficial thought, that allowed me to get easily swept away by theism later in life?

Does the fact that I became an atheist imply to you that my disbelief was rather weak, and because of this I uncritically accepted christianity?

What assumptions follow from the fact that I was an atheist that eventually accepted Christianity?
theidiot

Print view this post

Re: I was an Atheist

#2  Postby Shaker » Mar 09, 2010 12:49 pm

I was an atheist for my most of my adult life, but I accepted Christianity a few years ago.

My condolences. I hope you get better soon.
To be boosted by an illusion is not to live better than to live in harmony with the truth ... these refusals to part with a decayed illusion are really an infection to the mind. - George Santayana
Shaker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby DoctorE » Mar 09, 2010 12:50 pm

Getting closer to the grave perhaps.... so delusions take over.
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#4  Postby I D of E S » Mar 09, 2010 12:51 pm

What augment(s) did you find so compelling that it / they caused you to becoming a Christian?
I D of E S

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby theidiot » Mar 09, 2010 12:51 pm

Shaker wrote:

My condolences. I hope you get better soon.

And I hope you do.
theidiot

Print view this post

#6  Postby Shaker » Mar 09, 2010 12:51 pm

And I hope you do.

But I already am - critical faculties ticking along in fine working order thus far.
To be boosted by an illusion is not to live better than to live in harmony with the truth ... these refusals to part with a decayed illusion are really an infection to the mind. - George Santayana
Shaker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby hackenslash » Mar 09, 2010 12:53 pm

theidiot wrote:I was an atheist for my most of my adult life, but I accepted Christianity a few years ago.

What would the assumptions be about my atheism? That it wasn't 'true' atheism, because a 'true' atheist would never convert to belief? That I was less of a critical thinker than atheist who retain their unbelief? That I've only given my disbelief superficial thought, that allowed me to get easily swept away by theism later in life?

Does the fact that I became an atheist imply to you that my disbelief was rather weak, and because of this I uncritically accepted christianity?

What assumptions follow from the fact that I was an atheist that eventually accepted Christianity?

Not much can be inferred, to be honest, and certainly not without invoking the fallacy that nobody was ever born in Scotland.

Some of the problems in assessing:

1. Atheism isn't necessarily a product of reason or critical thinking. There are many routes to atheism.
2. People find justification for believing things, and that justification is and can only be what they decide is justification.
3. Assumptions are almost never justified.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#8  Postby trubble76 » Mar 09, 2010 12:58 pm

There is no such thing as "true atheism", you either accept the concept of gods despite (or even because of) a complete lack of evidence or you do not.

Being an atheist doesn't necessarily mean that you are a critical thinker, but being religious means that you are not a critical thinker, so therefore your ability to think critically need not have changed.

If i were to make any assumptions about your acceptence of theism, i might hazard a guess that something pivotal happened in your life, perhaps a birth of a child, death of a loved one. Perhaps you heard a preacher talking about the love of religion versus the emptiness of atheism which resounded with the pivotal occurance.
The only thing i can say for sure is that for some reason you decided to accept the unevidenced assertions of religion, i hope it works out well for you.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Kaleid » Mar 09, 2010 1:01 pm

theidiot, what was it that led to you becoming a Christian? Was it a specific event?

"I don't mind if I have to sit on the floor at school. All I want is education. And I am afraid of no one."
- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Ilovelucy » Mar 09, 2010 1:06 pm

theidiot wrote:I was an atheist for my most of my adult life, but I accepted Christianity a few years ago.

My assumptions are far less interesting than your reasons I'm sure.

I think the "fake atheist" diatribe can be thrown at some, for instance Kirk Cameron and Alistair McGrath both make a lot about how they were atheists when they were teenagers. While I think that Cameron may be telling porkies, I don't take McGrath's testament that seriously, his atheism was probably a moment of doubt and rebellion. I really don't think there was a moment when he seriously was an atheist, more that there was a moment of crisis in his Christian faith.

But there are plenty of atheists who find religion later in life, no-one would accuse Anthony Flew of not being a real atheist. Graham Greene comes to mind as another example. I think that many atheists underestimate the culture, poetry and ancestral connectivity of religion. Most people do not embrace religion because it offers a rational explanation about the world, people embrace religion to make a connection, not just with the many living that practice it but also with the dead that practised it. Religion also offers a complex superstructure of community, ritual, mythology, continuity, history and culture. Rather than these parts existing separately as they often do in secular culture, religion offers a culture where all of these aspects are bolstered and intensified by their interconnection. That, for me, represents the real power that religions have in attracting human minds.

That would be my assumption then. Let's hear your reason.
Ilovelucy

Name: Not Lucy
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby viralmeme » Mar 09, 2010 1:10 pm

theidiot wrote:I was an atheist for my most of my adult life, but I accepted Christianity a few years ago ..

Atheism isn't a belief system so you couldn't become one nor make assumptions about it. Using the phrase "accepted Christianity", implies that you are in a state of cognitave dissonance. As such you can't be argued with rathionally. Why didn't you 'accept' any one of the other theistic religions. Why are you preaching on a site devoted to rational skepticism .. :ask:
viralmeme

Print view this post

#12  Postby olis80 » Mar 09, 2010 1:10 pm

theidiot, are you the member "living easy" from RD.net?
olis80

Print view this post

#13  Postby Shaker » Mar 09, 2010 1:13 pm

ILoveLucy wrote:Most people do not embrace religion because it offers a rational explanation about the world, people embrace religion to make a connection, not just with the many living that practice it but also with the dead that practised it. Religion also offers a complex superstructure of community, ritual, mythology, continuity, history and culture. Rather than these parts existing separately as they often do in secular culture, religion offers a culture where all of these aspects are bolstered and intensified by their interconnection. That, for me, represents the real power that religions have in attracting human minds.

... which is why, as somebody once said, people can't be reasoned out of what they were never reasoned into in the first place.

(OT, but I think Greene's actual theistic belief - as opposed to an aesthetic adherence to Catholicism, which isn't the same thing by any means - is very much open to question).
Last edited by Shaker on Mar 09, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby nunnington » Mar 09, 2010 1:14 pm

I was an atheist in my 20s, and a rather unpleasant one, I remember, who enjoyed mocking theists.

I started doing meditation in my 30s, and had a series of spiritual experiences, and that led eventually to becoming a kind of marginal Christian.
je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho.
nunnington

Print view this post

#15  Postby I D of E S » Mar 09, 2010 1:15 pm

nunnington wrote:I was an atheist in my 20s, and a rather unpleasant one, I remember, who enjoyed mocking theists.

I started doing meditation in my 30s, and had a series of spiritual experiences, and that led eventually to becoming a kind of marginal Christian.

Could you describe those “spiritual experiences”?
I D of E S

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby nunnington » Mar 09, 2010 1:17 pm

I D of S

Oh, classic beyond the ego experiences, universal self, the I am in all things, etc.
je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho.
nunnington

Print view this post

#17  Postby Shaker » Mar 09, 2010 1:17 pm

nunnington wrote:I was an atheist in my 20s, and a rather unpleasant one, I remember, who enjoyed mocking theists.

Moreover, what does "marginal Christian" mean, and given that these experiences allegedly came about via meditation, why did such experiences lead you to monotheism instead of, say, Buddhism?
Last edited by Shaker on Mar 09, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Shaker » Mar 09, 2010 1:18 pm

nunnington wrote:I D of S

Oh, classic beyond the ego experiences, universal self, the I am in all things, etc.

So how do you get from these weird, I dare say all-very-nice-for-a-quarter-of-an-hour experiences to "marginal Christianity"?
Shaker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby aspire1670 » Mar 09, 2010 1:19 pm

Under the terms of the Sale of Gods Act (sic) and its various amendments you may still be able to exchange your faulty goods or get your money back.

Dunno. What do you think allowed you to get easily swept away?

Dunno, you tell me.

That you are theidiot?
psikeyhackr wrote: Physics is not rhetorical pseudo-logic crap.

I removed this signature at the request of another member.
aspire1670

Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby Shaker » Mar 09, 2010 1:20 pm

That you are theidiot?

I shouldn't laugh, but ...
Shaker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Theism