It goes deeper than God

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

It goes deeper than God

#1  Postby Bathynomus Giganteus » Mar 12, 2010 7:12 pm

Everything!!!!

With theists it stop there..... with god.

Just saying.

Friday night an all. :drunk:
If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it.
Bathynomus Giganteus

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: It goes deeper than God

#2  Postby RealityJunkie » Mar 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Unfortunately, it's not yet happy beer time over here, so I don't really get what you're saying :lol: . I'll be sure to bookmark this thread so that I can join the lively discussion once I'm inebriated as well. :drunk:
But I suffer and have suffered with them: prisoners are they unto me, and stigmatised ones. He whom they call Saviour put them in fetters:— In fetters of false values and fatuous words! Oh, that some one would save them from their Saviour!
― Nietzsche
RealityJunkie

Male

Mexico (mx)
Print view this post

#3  Postby apparentlydeluded » Mar 12, 2010 8:00 pm

That's about the most vague critique of theism I've heard. Not quite the most ridiculous, but it does rank highly in that area. What is that "it" you're talking about? What definition of "it" could possibly be "deeper than God", who is the highest personality in philosophy, among other things?

Oh wait. You're drunk. Couldn't quite tell.
Richard Dawkins: “You only need to use the word ‘faith’ when you haven’t any evidence.”
John Lennox: “No, no, not at all. I presume you have faith in your wife. Is there any evidence for that?”
Dawkins: “Yes, plenty-”
Lennox: “Hmmm”
apparentlydeluded

Print view this post

#4  Postby IIzO » Mar 13, 2010 11:12 am

apparentlydeluded wrote:That's about the most vague critique of theism I've heard. Not quite the most ridiculous, but it does rank highly in that area. What is that "it" you're talking about? What definition of "it" could possibly be "deeper than God", who is the highest personality in philosophy, among other things?

Oh wait. You're drunk. Couldn't quite tell.

You meant "the idealised highest personality in philosophy , by definition because we can arbitrarly decide to give an entity the qualities we want by using language " ?
Between what i think , what i want to say ,what i believe i say ,what i say , what you want to hear , what you hear ,what you understand...there are lots of possibilities that we might have some problem communicating.But let's try anyway.
Bernard Werber
IIzO

France (fr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby BigRed » Mar 14, 2010 8:25 pm

I think I get it. Good and evil exist whether God does nor not.
I want to be the girl with the most cake.
BigRed

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Bathynomus Giganteus » Mar 22, 2010 6:57 pm

Hey, that wasn't bad for one of my drunken ramblings. :dance:

As I said in the OP, "With theists it stop there..... with god". It takes a scientist to look deeper and get the real picture.

Earthquakes! Cabrakan did it!!!! Oh, hang on. Tectonic movement.
Volcano! Volcan did it!!!! oh, hang on. Hot magma from beneath the Earths surface, etc.
Failed harvest! God did it, oh hang on......
A fly in my soup! Beelzebub did it!!! ..........and so on.

Throughout the ages humans have always blamed one god or another for everything, but when free thinkers started looking deeper, they realised it's all a load of poppycock.

The rational explanation is deeper than god. :P
If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it.
Bathynomus Giganteus

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Agrippina » Mar 22, 2010 7:00 pm

OK so now I get it, took a while. :cheers:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Return to Theism