Maydole's Ontological Argument

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Maydole's Ontological Argument

#21  Postby IanS » May 20, 2010 5:56 pm

Fallible wrote:So are we waiting for Thommo to rock up, or what?

If that's case then this should not be a public thread at all. It should be a PM to Thommo.

As for so-called "ontological arguments" (or indeed any so-called "philosophical" argument), It seems to me quite obvious that you cannot prove or disprove (or even show "evidence", or even make any meaningful deduction at all) for anything which is supposed to have real existence (God is claimed to really exist).

Afaik - the best you can hope to achieve with any "philosophical" arguments of the type raised on forums like this, is to show that peoples written or spoken statements are either true or false in their use of language, eg through pointing out some logical incompatibility in their words.

That's only of use to point out errors that people make in their use of language.

But that clearly has no bearing on whether real things exist or not. For example - it makes no difference how many illogical or self-contradictory statements anyone might make about the existence of dinosaurs (say), because the actual "fact" is that they did indeed exist and we know that from scientific study of real physical evidence ... the philosophical arguments are entirely irrelevant as far as I can see.

If you want to prove "real" things, then you need science, not so-called "philosophy".

Ian.
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Thommo » May 20, 2010 7:27 pm

I don't get it, you acknowledge that the premise is directly equivalent to "Statement Z is a true statement" where statement Z is the assertion "the property supremacy".

This is exactly begging the question, because when you account for the meaning of a property in this argument it is simply claiming "There is an object exhibiting supremacy" - which is the conclusion.

I.e. begging the question as charged.
Thommo

Print view this post

#23  Postby iamthereforeithink » May 20, 2010 7:53 pm

IMO, the principal flaw in this ontological argument is the premise that "Existence is a perfection". This is clearly false. In fact, existence, by its very nature, entails imperfection.

IMO, the principal flaw in the ontological argument of Platinga is the premise that "It is possible that a maximally perfect being exists in some possible world". "Worlds", by their very nature, entail imperfection. A maximally perfect being existing in an imperfect world is a contradiction. A maximally perfect being can only exist in maximal perfection.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#24  Postby josephchoi » May 20, 2010 8:52 pm

Isn't "maximally perfect" itself a contradiction, since perfection is an extreme attribute? You are either perfect or imperfect.
Donuts don't wear alligator shoes!
josephchoi

Male

Print view this post

#25  Postby Thommo » May 20, 2010 8:54 pm

I get the impression a number of the comments here are directed at other ontological arguments. Maydole's is this one:

http://rfforum.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3292725
Thommo

Print view this post

#26  Postby VazScep » May 21, 2010 8:59 am

Having looked at the argument, here is my question:

Is the property of being supreme even coherent? I'm not sure. It might be that this notion of "greater-than" in the argument gives an ordering with no maximum. Perhaps no matter how great a thing we conceive, we can always conceive of something greater, in which case, supremacy is impossible. Talking about a supreme being is like talking about the greatest natural number. It might be that "Greatest natural number" and "supreme" are both absurd properties.

Now an absurd property is hardly perfect. Instead, it looks grossly flawed, and we can even prove that an absurd property cannot be perfect: absurdities entail everything, including their negations. So if an absurdity is perfect, then its negation is perfect by M2. But that contradicts M1. (*)

So it is clear that M3 should be weakened to: if supremacy is coherent then it is perfect. This gives ⋄∃x. S x → P S. With this modification, Maydole's proof that a supreme being is possible does not go through. And indeed, it seems that assuming that supremacy is perfect is begging the question of its coherence.

(*) This is the exact argument given in Maydole's appendix for the coherence of Supremacy.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby pcCoder » May 21, 2010 10:11 am

A maximally perfect being that is the creator of everything, by virtue of being maximally perfect, all creation would have maximal perfection If a creation of this maximally perfection being disobeys this maximally perfect being and eats fruit of a tree that it was commanded to not do so, then this act of disobedience is maximally perfect. Sin is maximally perfect.
pcCoder

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Thommo » May 21, 2010 10:13 am

VazScep wrote:Is the property of being supreme even coherent? I'm not sure. It might be that this notion of "greater-than" in the argument gives an ordering with no maximum. Perhaps no matter how great a thing we conceive, we can always conceive of something greater, in which case, supremacy is impossible. Talking about a supreme being is like talking about the greatest natural number. It might be that "Greatest natural number" and "supreme" are both absurd properties.

I Wondered about this too, it does seem like an absolute bar on this argument accomplishing anything with such an important concept just left open. The same criticism applies to a lesser extent to the other open term of "a property that it is better to have than not". In itself it seems like perfection is already defined as a subclass of truth via the axioms M1-M3, I'm not quite sure what to make of this second interpretational definition, I couldn't help wondering whether there was any reason to suppose the logic was consistent between these two seemingly differing definitions (the stated one plus the one implied by the M1-M3 hijacking of the truth-preservation property of logic).
Thommo

Print view this post

#29  Postby Goldenmane » May 21, 2010 12:04 pm

IIzO wrote:Seriously wth is "perfection" ?

Fucking wank, is what it is.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

#30  Postby VazScep » May 21, 2010 12:39 pm

Thommo wrote:Wondered about this too, it does seem like an absolute bar on this argument accomplishing anything with such an important concept just left open.
I think all of these arguments revolve in some way around taking terms of art out-of-context and assuming they can be applied rigorously. I'm not going to be surprised if this process leads us to strange conclusions such as "God exists". I wouldn't be surpised if it leads us to the very strong conclusion "Contradictions are true." That's how semantic paradoxes work after all. But semantic paradoxes are fun and there's usually a lot to say about them, which is why I'm happy to give Maydole's argument the time of day.

The same criticism applies to a lesser extent to the other open term of "a property that it is better to have than not". In itself it seems like perfection is already defined as a subclass of truth via the axioms M1-M3,
It's defined as a subclass of satisfiability, as I showed above, and as Maydole formally "proves" in the appendix (*). But I think you might have some deeper insight into this. M1 and M2 are indeed fundamental properties of truth and satisfiability: refutation under negation and preservation under entailment. In terms of propositions, M1 and M2 require truth. In terms of properties, M1 and M2 require satisfiability. It might be interesting to replace M1 with the equivalent:

M1a) Perfect P → ⋄(∃x. P x)
M1b) ∃P. ¬Perfect P
M2) ◻(∀x. P x → Q x) → Perfect P → Perfect Q

In other words, we can change M1 to say: a) every perfection is possibly satisfiable; b) something is not perfect. If we run your analysis and think about truth instead, M1a says that truthhood is sound (truths really are true) and M1b says that not everything is true (there is more than one truth value). Now M3 really is just question-begging.

(*) The proof is entirely trivial. At best, the symbolic proofs just obfuscate. If you regard M1 and M2 as a substantial way towards a semantics for truth-predicates, then M3 is just the claim "there might be a supremacy". Now supremacy is a conjunction of modal denials. It asserts its own necessity, which means we can skip right from "there might be a supremacy" to "there must be a supremacy." These steps are unimpressive. In fact, the proof of necessity of a supremacy does not make use of the "greater-than" notion, only the placement of modal operators. The notion of "greater-than" is only needed to get uniqueness, and even that's just the trivial matter of realising that the maximum of any order-relation is always unique.

From this, we want to charge the argument with "question-begging." But I suspect this is the charge of "triviality." Because a trivial conclusion is just an elaboration of one's premises, and you are question-begging to present it any other way. And Maydole's argument is trivial. Don't be fooled by the dense symbolism and large number of proof steps. That's just a problem with formal logic which makes me baffled why philosophers bother with it: it causes even very simple proofs to explode in length (technically, the proof that 1000 != 1001 requires over 1000 proof steps in formal number theory).

I'm not sure this is a criticism of Maydole, since I'm not sure he is presenting the argument as a case for a supreme being, as opposed to, say, an experiment in formalism. And besides, I'm sure Maydole would be quick to point out that I don't have a rigorous definition of "trivial". The phrase probably communicates nothing more than a subjective unimpressed. So I'm not sure how to argue against someone who thinks Maydole's got a good argument.

I still think the premises are interesting, otherwise I wouldn't be talking about them. And just as with Plantinga's, they show that modal logic has ways to formulate ontological arguments that defeat the usual "existence isn't a predicate" objection. But like I said in the last thread, don't come looking for a convincing argument for God.
Last edited by VazScep on May 21, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#31  Postby mindyourmind » May 21, 2010 12:57 pm

VazScep wrote:
Thommo wrote:Wondered about this too, it does seem like an absolute bar on this argument accomplishing anything with such an important concept just left open.
I think all of these arguments revolve in some way around taking terms of art out-of-context and assuming they can be applied rigorously. I'm not going to be surprised if this process leads us to strange conclusions such as "God exists". I wouldn't be surpised if it leads us to the very strong conclusion "Contradictions are true." That's how semantic paradoxes work after all. But semantic paradoxes are fun and there's usually a lot to say about them, which is why I'm happy to give Maydole's argument the time of day.

The same criticism applies to a lesser extent to the other open term of "a property that it is better to have than not". In itself it seems like perfection is already defined as a subclass of truth via the axioms M1-M3,
It's defined as a subclass of satisfiability, as I showed above, and as Maydole formally "proves" in the appendix (*). But I think you might have some deeper insight into this. M1 and M2 are indeed fundamental properties of truth and satisfiability: preservation under entailment and refutation under negation. In terms of propositions, M1 and M2 require truth. In terms of properties, M1 and M2 require satisfiability. It might be interesting to replace M2 with the equivalent:

M1) ◻(∀x. P x → Q x) → Perfect P → Perfect Q
M2a) Perfect P → ⋄(∃x. P x)
M2b) ∃P. ¬Perfect P

In other words, we can change M2 to say: a) every perfection is possibly satisfiable; b) something is not perfect. If we run your analysis and think about truth instead, M2a says that something is true and M2b says that something is not true. In other words, we have more than one truth value.

(*) The proof is entirely trivial. At best, the symbolic proofs just obfuscate. But I think this is almost point. If you regard M1 and M2 as a substantial way towards a semantics for truth-predicates, then M3 is just the claim "there might be a supremacy". Now supremacy is a conjunction of modal denials. It asserts its own necessity, which means we can skip right from "there might be a supremacy" to "there must be a supremacy." These steps are unimpressive. In fact, the proof of necessity of a supremacy does not make use of the "greater-than" notion, only the placement of modal operators. The notion of "greater-than" is only needed to get uniqueness, and even that's just the trivial matter of realising that the maxima of any order-relation is always unique.

The problem is that we now want to charge the argument with "question-begging." But I suspect this is the charge of "triviality." Because a trivial conclusion is just an elaboration of one's premises, and you are question-begging it any other way. And Maydole's argument is trivial. Don't be fooled by the dense symbolism and large number of proof steps. That's just a problem with formal logic which makes me baffled why philosophers bother with it: it causes even very simple proofs to explode in length (technically, the proof that 1000 != 1001 requires over 1000 proof steps in formal number theory).

Unfortunately, I don't have a rigorous definition of "trivial". The phrase probably communicate nothing more than a subjective unimpressed. So I'm not sure how to argue against someone who thinks Maydole's got a good argument. I still think the premises are interesting, otherwise I wouldn't be talking about them. And again, they show that modal logic has ways to formulate ontological arguments that defeat the usual "existence isn't a predicate" objection. But like I said in the last thread, don't come here looking for a convincing argument for God.

True, and that is why (despite William Lane Craig's loud protestations to the contrary) natural theology is a dead horse, jockeyed about only by the truly devout and / or the truly desperate.

The argument, such as it is, could be as "true" for Allah as Yahweh as FSM or my own favourite, Kerplatz the Mighty.

Maydole, in Blackwell's Companion to Natural Theology, first disses Anselm's effort, inter alia calling one of the propositions a "...somewhat muddled argument for the bogus proposition .." :shock:

He concludes by stating the bleeding obvious himself :

"Ontological arguments are captivating. They convince some people but not others. Our purpose here was not to convince but simply to show that some ontological arguments are sound, do not beg the question, and are insulated from extant parodies."

Even assuming that that is what he managed to show (which is not conceded) - so what? Even a "sound" ontological argument proves squat but what you start off wanting to "prove" with it.

Next please.
So the reason why God created the universe, including millions of years of human and animal suffering, and the extinction of entire species, is so that some humans who have passed his test can be with him forever. I see.
mindyourmind

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#32  Postby VazScep » May 21, 2010 1:15 pm

mindyourmind wrote:Maydole, in Blackwell's Companion to Natural Theology, first disses Anselm's effort, inter alia calling one of the propositions a "...somewhat muddled argument for the bogus proposition .." :shock:
At the same time, are they really doing Anselm justice? A professional atheist philosopher posted this on another forum, defending Anselm against charges that he was a dolt:

[Anselm] situated his argument in the context of the Great Chain of Being: an ancient principle for thinking about the world that ranks kinds of things according their degree of reality (roughly and readily). The idea goes back at least to Plato, and is not a theological construct of Christianity. In Book VI of The Republic Plato argues for a heirarchy of objects of knowledge, with images or reflections (known through imagination) at the bottom, followed by the everyday objects of sensory perception (known by mere opinion), then the abstract objects of geometrical and mathematical reality (known through formal reasoning) and, at the top, the perfect Forms (known, ironically, through a quasi-mystical sort of direct understanding -- albeit one that has to proceed through the formal knowledge of mathematics and science).

Even though direct knowledge of Plato's work was a bit rare in Anselm's day, this idea and its descendents were very influential. A thinker is only as good as the best reasoning principles at his disposal for the time he lives in, and for Anselm, the Great Chain was state of the art. If it seems silly to the modern eye, I suggest that a rough contemporary analogue, and one as likely to seem hilariously quaint in a few hundred years, is the currently widespread notion of a Great Chain of Disciplines -- sociology or psychology at the top, physics or math at the bottom.

Anyhow, what looks like a great hole in his argument -- indeed, what is a great hole when the argument is taken out of context -- is the assumption that the scenario described as God existing only in the mind should be understood as a degenerate case of God's really existing. That is, the argument requires that we compare two modes of God's existence and ask which would be greater -- when it seems perfectly obvious that the first scenario is not one which God exists in a diminished sort of way, but rather one on which God just plain old does not exist.

You don't get the required comparison between God, existing merely in the mind, and some actually existing old sock, for instance, because really there is no first thing to be part of that comparison. "Only the idea of Santa exists": that's not equivalent to saying that Santa exists in a diminished sort of way, namely, as an idea. It's a way of saying there is no Santa -- none at all.

Well, for Anselm, existing as an idea is precisely a degenerate form of genuine existence. That's what the Great Chain embodies: a picture of heirarchical reality on which a thing can exist merely as an object of thought, or have moreover a form and constitution independent of thought. Those are two ways for an object to exist, two distinct degrees of reality it could have, depending on where it falls on something like Plato's line.

This is an idea that has remarkably little to recommend it, all things considered. Many ideas that seem good at the time turn out to have this defect. Descartes also makes heavy and unqualified use of something like the GCB in his argument for God in the Third Meditation. But this was much later than Anselm, by which time the principle was widely doubted, or at least recognized as flawed for use in just the kind of ways Descartes wanted to use it. Which is why the Meditations came into the world with a big boot mark on its ass -- the commentaries published with the very first edition pointed out the ways in which his GCB-ish reasoning was not state of the art. But at the time he wrote, in assuming the Great Chain, Anselm was just an educated man of his time relying on a widely accepted but unreliable premise. This doesn't give us a reason to accept his argument, of course -- Gaunilo was able to put pressure on Anselm's reasoning even with a broad GCB framework -- but it does suggest that he was not a purveyor of the gross invalidities that contemporary Modal Yodelers display.

He concludes by stating the bleeding obvious himself :

"Ontological arguments are captivating. They convince some people but not others. Our purpose here was not to convince but simply to show that some ontological arguments are sound, do not beg the question, and are insulated from extant parodies."
That's as I'd hoped, and I would agree that ontological arguments are captivating and the more we can say about them the better, even if we always smell something fishy about them. But I'm not convinced he's met his stated goals. Aside from begging the question, I'm thinking it can also be parodied. Maybe Maydole addresses this, but could you not go: Define X as the apple pie which is more delicious than all other possible apple pies and such that no other possible apple pie is more delicious than it. Assume X is perfect.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Thommo » May 21, 2010 1:18 pm

In response to Vazscep above:-

I suppose that the real question is what specifically is it about the modal logic that Maydole constructs that bridges the gap between satisfiability and truth, I have to admit that the exact detail was beyond me (my best logic days are alas behind me). I wondered if it had anything to do with the Barcan formula since the various expositions of the argument always seem to make a large song and dance out of the "controversial" nature of this axiom. The cynic in me suggests that this is true showmanship and misdirection though and the magic is done elsewhere.
Thommo

Print view this post

#34  Postby mindyourmind » May 21, 2010 1:24 pm

Yes, "Assume X is perfect" is one of the key shells in the game.

And yes, Thommo, the magic was done elsewhere - before the proponent started the argument.

How anyone can read this stuff and then find Jesus I don't know. I know that is not really what Nat Theology claims to want to do, but read Blackwell's and see how the magic gets done.
So the reason why God created the universe, including millions of years of human and animal suffering, and the extinction of entire species, is so that some humans who have passed his test can be with him forever. I see.
mindyourmind

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Thommo » May 21, 2010 1:25 pm

VazScep wrote:That's as I'd hoped, and I would agree that ontological arguments are captivating and the more we can say about them the better, even if we always smell something fishy about them. But I'm not convinced he's met his stated goals. Aside from begging the question, I'm thinking it can also be parodied. Maybe Maydole addresses this, but could you not go: Define X as the apple pie which is more delicious than all other possible apple pies and such that no other possible apple pie is more delicious than it. Assume X is perfect.

I haven't read into any attempts at parodies or rebuttals, so I may be heading in blind here, but it certainly does indeed look like any redefinition of supremity to any purported ordering with a maximum element should do the trick.
Thommo

Print view this post

#36  Postby Thommo » May 21, 2010 1:27 pm

mindyourmind wrote:How anyone can read this stuff and then find Jesus I don't know. I know that is not really what Nat Theology claims to want to do, but read Blackwell's and see how the magic gets done.

Isn't that companion around £70 or something daft? Not sure I fancy forking out that much for some dubious theology!

I'm also not convinced from what I've heard relayed that the actual detail of where satisfiability becomes truth or why anyone thinks we should buy what the argument is selling is actually addressed in the companion anyway.
Thommo

Print view this post

#37  Postby mindyourmind » May 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Thommo wrote:
VazScep wrote:That's as I'd hoped, and I would agree that ontological arguments are captivating and the more we can say about them the better, even if we always smell something fishy about them. But I'm not convinced he's met his stated goals. Aside from begging the question, I'm thinking it can also be parodied. Maybe Maydole addresses this, but could you not go: Define X as the apple pie which is more delicious than all other possible apple pies and such that no other possible apple pie is more delicious than it. Assume X is perfect.

I haven't read into any attempts at parodies or rebuttals, so I may be heading in blind here, but it certainly does indeed look like any redefinition of supremity to any purported ordering with a maximum element should do the trick.

Maydole claims that his argument should be immune against parody, but I cannot agree, mostly along the lines you have indicated as a general attack.
mindyourmind

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Matt_B » May 21, 2010 1:45 pm

mindyourmind wrote:Maydole claims that his argument should be immune against parody, but I cannot agree, mostly along the lines you have indicated as a general attack.

I'd think that its only defence against parody is how long and convoluted it is. It's much harder to be witty when you're rambling on for several pages.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#39  Postby mindyourmind » May 21, 2010 1:57 pm

Matt_B wrote:
mindyourmind wrote:Maydole claims that his argument should be immune against parody, but I cannot agree, mostly along the lines you have indicated as a general attack.

I'd think that its only defence against parody is how long and convoluted it is. It's much harder to be witty when you're rambling on for several pages.

:grin:

And I think Whatzits "perfect island" also went some way with a parody. 'Tis not impossible.

So, in a nutshell (as defined on Infidels and others) :

# ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (I)
(1) I define God to be X.
(2) Since I can conceive of X, X must exist.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

# ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (II)
(1) I can conceive of a perfect God.
(2) One of the qualities of perfection is existence.

# MODAL ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT
(1) God is either necessary or unnecessary.
(2) God is not unnecessary, therefore God must be necessary.
mindyourmind

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#40  Postby VazScep » May 21, 2010 4:08 pm

Thommo wrote:In response to Vazscep above:-

I suppose that the real question is what specifically is it about the modal logic that Maydole constructs that bridges the gap between satisfiability and truth, I have to admit that the exact detail was beyond me (my best logic days are alas behind me). I wondered if it had anything to do with the Barcan formula since the various expositions of the argument always seem to make a large song and dance out of the "controversial" nature of this axiom. The cynic in me suggests that this is true showmanship and misdirection though and the magic is done elsewhere.
Damn. Wherever I wrote "satisfiable" read "universally satisfied."

I guess there are various bridges needed here, because there are three levels of abstraction: propositions, properties and possibilities. Barcan makes me uncomfortable, but then, so does higher-order modal logic anyway. I really just want to be careful with terms. A property cannot be true or false, only propositions can be. So we should not say that the property of being perfect or supreme is true. Instead, we should be talking about whether the property of being perfect is satisfied or unsatisfied, or universally true or universally false. Similarly, we shouldn't strictly talk about the negation of a property, since negating is something you do to propositions.

By the way, it might help to think of the properties as sets. M1 says that the complement of a perfect set is not perfect. M2 says that the necessary supersets of a perfect set are perfect. A consequence of this is that the empty set cannot be perfect, since the empty set is a subset of its complement, and thus both would have to be perfect. Bringing modal reasoning into this doesn't look problematic, so long as we make sure we have talked about necessary supersets being perfect (entailment rather than material implication), and the possibility of the supreme set being non-empty.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism