Need help debating “religion was required for today’s societ

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Need help debating “religion was required for today’s so

#21  Postby Dogmatic Pyrrhonist » Mar 27, 2010 6:31 am

Nautilidae wrote:
Dogmantic Pyrrhonist wrote:

I think there's a reasonable argument to be made that religion has not in fact aided society at all. The perceived morality that is supposedly instilled by religion is in fact a feature of society itself. With the less sane members of society, the threat of invisible sky daddies may aid somewhat in getting them to stick to the rules, but I don't think religious rules have ever quite coincided with society's idea of what moralistic behaviour is. Even in theocracies, the society's morals will tend away from the legal system, just as it does in secular legal systems.
Also, in the sub-complete testing of the idea of atheism in society we have in the current secular governments, where there is a sub-set of society that's atheist, with the rest theist of some sort, the statistics clearly show that the section of society that is atheist causes the legal system and law enforcement much less trouble. Not more.

The ironic thing about this is that people often argue that atheists are less moral than theists. :ask:

What is moral in terms of a society is decided by the society. If a society allows stoning without resulting in chaos, most will see nothing morally wrong with this. I am in no way saying that stoning people is a rational course of action, but for the time, it served it's purpose. A perfect example of this is murder; if murder was dubbed legal, there would be chaos. This is the purpose of an authority figure in society; without someone to enforce laws, no one would see a reason to follow laws. This is the role that God played throughout history. God was an omnipotent being that enforced laws; he could either A} send you to a utopia of happiness as long as you followed his rules until you died, or B} send you to Hell, an ultimate realm of pain and suffering, for all eternity if you did not follow his laws. This is essentially the role that religion, at least monotheistic religion, has played throughout history: it is a quasi-government.

However, this in no way indicates that religion itself is a necessary component of a functional society. This indicates that religion played the role of government for many years and nothing more.

I think you'll find it's an anomaly of the monotheists where religion takes this function. And that when monotheistic religions claim to take the function, they never really do. If you step back to pre-monotheism, the legal systems (what we can reconstruct, mostly Greek, Roman, and Gaul) was based on some very basic standards we'd recognise even now. And apart from the ever present "don't dis' the gawds" rules in these early legal systems, they were, by and large, secular, and inspired by a need to administer justice and order to society.
The god function was explaining the currently unexplained, and providing a common identity to groups larger than the ancestral tribe.
Dogmatic Pyrrhonist
AKA https://plus.google.com/u/0/105518842266362138077/about (google has decided my name isn't a 'real' name)

Dogmatic Pyrrhonist

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Nautilidae » Mar 27, 2010 2:13 pm

I think you'll find it's an anomaly of the monotheists where religion takes this function. And that when monotheistic religions claim to take the function, they never really do. If you step back to pre-monotheism, the legal systems (what we can reconstruct, mostly Greek, Roman, and Gaul) was based on some very basic standards we'd recognise even now. And apart from the ever present "don't dis' the gawds" rules in these early legal systems, they were, by and large, secular, and inspired by a need to administer justice and order to society.
The god function was explaining the currently unexplained, and providing a common identity to groups larger than the ancestral tribe.

I am aware that pre-monotheistic religions didn't play the role. What my argument does is explain why religion, especially monotheistic religion, appeared to be necessary in historical examples. I'm not saying that you are incorrect; you do have a point with which I agree. However, the point of my argument is that the historical examples this man's opponent may give are nothing more than examples of religion behaving as a quasi-government. This is why I suggested that the OP make this argument; any example his opponent may use is likely to show my point and is thus counter-productive. To clarify, religion wasn't a necessary form of government; it simply played that role in some historical examples. As you said, the Greeks had a fundamentally secular system of government, so religion didn't play the role of government in all examples.
:cheers:
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby S1E » Mar 27, 2010 9:41 pm

Nautilidae wrote:
I think that it would help us understand your position if you explained the arguments. What arguments have you made thus far?

To be honest, I have yet to give a rebuttal for two reasons. First and foremost would be that I really try to avoid “knee-jerk” replies anytime someone starts a debate. Second is that I feel I don’t have a good enough rebuttal as yet to refute his point. This is why I ask for help.

I think there's a reasonable argument to be made that religion has not in fact aided society at all. The perceived morality that is supposedly instilled by religion is in fact a feature of society itself. With the less sane members of society, the threat of invisible sky daddies may aid somewhat in getting them to stick to the rules, but I don't think religious rules have ever quite coincided with society's idea of what moralistic behaviour is. Even in theocracies, the society's morals will tend away from the legal system, just as it does in secular legal systems.

So, perhaps you are saying that the morality required for society was actually established first, and then the magic man was brought in to reinforce the morality? That’s something I think I can work with. Of course from that perspective the debate will end in a stalemate, but it’s better then losing.

Nautilidae wrote:
I am aware that pre-monotheistic religions didn't play the role. What my argument does is explain why religion, especially monotheistic religion, appeared to be necessary in historical examples. I'm not saying that you are incorrect; you do have a point with which I agree. However, the point of my argument is that the historical examples this man's opponent may give are nothing more than examples of religion behaving as a quasi-government. This is why I suggested that the OP make this argument; any example his opponent may use is likely to show my point and is thus counter-productive. To clarify, religion wasn't a necessary form of government; it simply played that role in some historical examples. As you said, the Greeks had a fundamentally secular system of government, so religion didn't play the role of government in all examples.
:cheers:

Now we’re getting somewhere. This is exactly what I was hoping for!

Any chance you two could continue this discussion? ;)
Of all the places I’ve been, this is one of them.

I sure do miss my ex-wife. But that’s okay my aim is getting better!
S1E

Print view this post

#24  Postby Nautilidae » Mar 28, 2010 2:20 am

S1E wrote:
Now we’re getting somewhere. This is exactly what I was hoping for!

Any chance you two could continue this discussion? ;)

Sure.

Since you do not have an argument to give yet, why don't you tell us some of the arguments that he has made? Has the debate ventured beyond his main argument, or is the debate at a stand-still?
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby S1E » Mar 28, 2010 7:28 pm

Nautilidae wrote:

Sure.

Since you do not have an argument to give yet, why don't you tell us some of the arguments that he has made? Has the debate ventured beyond his main argument, or is the debate at a stand-still?

Sadly the debate has not progressed because he called off work Friday. I'm very sure it will start again tomorrow, and now thanks to you folks I have a little ammo. I'm still trying to figure out how to employ said ammo, but I've got this evening with no wife and kid. I'll come up with something.

I will let you know how things progress.

Thanks again.
Of all the places I’ve been, this is one of them.

I sure do miss my ex-wife. But that’s okay my aim is getting better!
S1E

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Theism