One On One

Invitation For Civil Discourse

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: One On One

#121  Postby mindhack » May 14, 2015 7:56 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
BWE wrote:There's something about taking a label that makes people nutty. Whether it's xian, atheist, whatever, the urge to discuss why that particular model is 'right' seems too strong for many to pass up. If you really want to have a discussion, DLH, I might be willing. I am definitely not a theist. But I'm also not really an atheist so I might not have what you're looking for.

:sigh:
BWE, do you believe a god or gods exist?

He's just refusing to go "nutty" about the label. ;)
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#122  Postby BWE » May 14, 2015 7:58 am

I think definitions make the notion of existence far less concrete than most people would like.
BWE

Print view this post

#123  Postby BWE » May 14, 2015 8:00 am

hackenslash wrote:Image

I didn't read the first six pages. My apologies if this has already been done.
BWE

Print view this post

#124  Postby Cito di Pense » May 14, 2015 8:05 am

BWE wrote:I think definitions make the notion of existence far less concrete than most people would like.

Here's what you are saying, however:

BWE wrote:I would start by simply saying that I've yet to see a coherent definition of God. If you can produce one that isn't a self-contradiction somewhere, and that isn't simply in conflict with experience, I would be willing to go ahead and accept it.

Do you mean that, if we just put our thinking caps on, we can take a concept invented by ignorant goat roasters and turn it into a proposition that everyone of intelligence and critical ability can get behind? Is that it?

You see, it's not about 'existence' at all. It's about construction. By and for the people, as the saying goes.

BWE wrote:My apologies if this has already been done.

You sound as if you have tiny speculations that it has not already been done.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on May 14, 2015 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#125  Postby hackenslash » May 14, 2015 8:07 am

BWE wrote:

Two things: First, that's not about the thread topic at all, it's about the done-a-thousand-times atheist/theist true dichotomy. Second, the only excuse for posting on-topic in a thread you haven't read all of is that it's a long thread, and this isn't.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#126  Postby hackenslash » May 14, 2015 8:09 am

BWE wrote:I think definitions make the notion of existence far less concrete than most people would like.

More importantly, definitions have no impact whatsoever on the concreteness of notions of existence, because such activity is well beyond their remit. It's always nice to have something that sounds deep but says fuck all though, so well done you. Deepity Chakra would approve.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#127  Postby BWE » May 14, 2015 8:12 am

hackenslash wrote:
BWE wrote:

Two things: First, that's not about the thread topic at all, it's about the done-a-thousand-times atheist/theist true dichotomy. Second, the only excuse for posting on-topic in a thread you haven't read all of is that it's a long thread, and this isn't.

I am not a true atheist. This thread is long by my standards. I read the first page.
hackenslash wrote:

More importantly, definitions have no impact whatsoever on the concreteness of notions of existence, because such activity is well beyond their remit. It's always nice to have something that sounds deep but says fuck all though, so well done you. Deepity Chakra would approve.

How concrete is a notion of existence? This post looks like word salad to me. Can you explain what you mean?
BWE

Print view this post

#128  Postby Fallible » May 14, 2015 8:14 am

Oh, a true atheist. What are you then, a false one? :roll:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#129  Postby BWE » May 14, 2015 8:16 am

Cito di Pense wrote:

BWE wrote:I would start by simply saying that I've yet to see a coherent definition of God. If you can produce one that isn't a self-contradiction somewhere, and that isn't simply in conflict with experience, I would be willing to go ahead and accept it.

Do you mean that, if we just put our thinking caps on, we can take a concept invented by ignorant goat roasters and turn it into a proposition that everyone of intelligence and critical ability can get behind? Is that it?

Interesting. I do leave that door open, I guess, though I hadn't ever put it in those words.

You see, it's not about 'existence' at all. It's about construction. By and for the people, as the saying goes.

No. I don't see. I have no idea what you are saying there.

How do you determine the size of a speculation? And, again, I don't know what you mean. Pronouns are the devil's work. By 'this', I meant asking whoever the OP was to define god.
BWE

Print view this post

#130  Postby BWE » May 14, 2015 8:19 am

Fallible wrote:Oh, a true atheist. What are you then, a false one? :roll:

I am probably closer to a Pantheist. After being asked to articulate a third position once, I wrote this and the follow up posts if you are actually interested in how I articulate my own position.
BWE

Print view this post

#131  Postby hackenslash » May 14, 2015 8:22 am

BWE wrote:How concrete is a notion of existence?

How concrete is any notion?

This post looks like word salad to me. Can you explain what you mean?

Certainly. I mean:

This post looks like word salad to me.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#132  Postby hackenslash » May 14, 2015 8:28 am

BWE wrote:I am probably closer to a Pantheist.

So a theist, then.

After being asked to articulate a third position once, I wrote this and the follow up posts if you are actually interested in how I articulate my own position.

My eyes glazed at the first line, because once you've read 'Theism and atheism are both misguided attempts to translate the epic poem of reality into a language of limits, the universe to an Upanishad, the unknown and unexpected cuisine of eternity into bite sized morsels of processed food by-product', you know that what follows is going to be total fucking cock.

And then, because when I went back to close the tab and wasn't quick enough, my eyes fell upon this:

Both theism and atheism are attempts to lay claim to a truth value relating (without warrant) to a cause-effect relationship humans affectionately ascribe to a place we nominally call 'out there'.

And I realised that I should probably just call it a day, since if that's what you think, you don't really think. Nice to be accused of word-salad by somebody who could write such vapid fucking drivel, though. You should get a job writing scripts of the pomo generator, because that's an awful lot of words just to talk bollocks. I mean 'we nominally call'? A screaming tautology in only three words?

I'm impressed at just how fucking stupid that is.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#133  Postby BWE » May 14, 2015 8:30 am

:) thank you. It's a gift.
BWE

Print view this post

#134  Postby BWE » May 14, 2015 8:32 am

but, no. not a theist.
BWE

Print view this post

#135  Postby hackenslash » May 14, 2015 8:36 am

BWE wrote:but, no. not a theist.

No, indeed, but the dichotomy is still a true one. Is you is or is you ain't a fuckwit.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#136  Postby BWE » May 14, 2015 8:38 am

I gues then it really doesn't matter since I clearly couldn't change a basic reality by wishing.
BWE

Print view this post

#137  Postby Fallible » May 14, 2015 8:42 am

BWE wrote:
Fallible wrote:Oh, a true atheist. What are you then, a false one? :roll:

I am probably closer to a Pantheist. After being asked to articulate a third position once, I wrote this and the follow up posts if you are actually interested in how I articulate my own position.

I read half of that post, soldiered on past a couple of bum-clenching assertions but finally stopped where you define atheism as the rejection of God, and say that atheists make a counter-claim. To which I am minded to reply cool story, bro.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#138  Postby hackenslash » May 14, 2015 8:43 am

That's a serious display of fortitude there, Fall.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#139  Postby Fallible » May 14, 2015 8:44 am

Hey, I've read Ulysses to the end.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#140  Postby Cito di Pense » May 14, 2015 8:45 am

BWE wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

Interesting. I do leave that door open, I guess, though I hadn't ever put it in those words.

You hadn't? Why the fuck not? Lack of words? Not something you suffer from, on the face of it. The way it appears to me is that you are pretending to have thought things through.

BWE wrote:

No. I don't see. I have no idea what you are saying there.

Try this:

BWE wrote:There's something about taking a label that makes people nutty.

Do you think the labels aren't constructed? That means somebody wanted to put them to use. It's not taking the label that makes people nutty. It's labeling stuff imprecisely. Sometimes, there's no point; you showed up anyway, to beat a dead horse.

BWE wrote:

How do you determine the size of a speculation? And, again, I don't know what you mean. Pronouns are the devil's work. By 'this', I meant asking whoever the OP was to define god.

The fact that you haven't seen what you consider a worthy definition may be what's holding you back from continuing your search. On the other hand, perhaps you've simply hit what the oilmen call a 'dry hole'. You could quickly have determined that from reading what DLH himself had written here.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism