Praying to change the past

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Praying to change the past

#1  Postby Clive Durdle » Sep 01, 2015 10:34 pm

Just reading John Loftus and he discuses omnipotence and omniscience and asks, why do theists not pray to change the past?

Asking for amputated limbs to regrow is easy, come on, why don't theists pray to change the past? Ask and ye shall receive!

If you have faith as a mustard seed...
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Praying to change the past

#2  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 02, 2015 12:49 am

Praying to change anything is blasphemy, because all that occurs is by god's will. :dopey:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#3  Postby laklak » Sep 02, 2015 2:36 am

Dear God, please unfuck her. Amen.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#4  Postby scott1328 » Sep 02, 2015 3:37 am

Clive Durdle wrote:Just reading John Loftus and he discuses omnipotence and omniscience and asks, why do theists not pray to change the past?

Asking for amputated limbs to regrow is easy, come on, why don't theists pray to change the past? Ask and ye shall receive!

If you have faith as a mustard seed...

How do you know they don't? How do you know that changing the past is or is not the only prayer that Cthulhu answers?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Arnold Layne » Sep 02, 2015 7:36 am

It's effectively what people are doing when they travel to Lourdes. OK, you could say that they are praying for a cure, but I'd say that some are hoping for a resetting of the clock to the past.

But the numbers of people being wheeled back from the grotto in their wheelchairs shows that they are disappointed.
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby chairman bill » Sep 02, 2015 8:42 am

Well, after that nuclear meltdown in the US that killed nearly 3 million people last week, I prayed to the Invisible Pink Unicorn (bbhhh) & she made it never happen, so it does work. Of course, making it never happen, means no one really remembers it, because it never happened. I only remember it because I was the one whose prayer was answered.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 02, 2015 8:58 am

chairman bill wrote:Well, after that nuclear meltdown in the US that killed nearly 3 million people last week, I prayed to the Invisible Pink Unicorn (bbhhh) & she made it never happen, so it does work. Of course, making it never happen, means no one really remembers it, because it never happened. I only remember it because I was the one whose prayer was answered.

Except of course, that all those fundies are still alive. Apparently the erasing of the 1080p video footage I downloaded was amongst the tidying up operations that were forgotten.:mrgreen:
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby chairman bill » Sep 02, 2015 9:02 am

But that's because it didn't happen, because I prayed. Really hard.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 02, 2015 9:09 am

So how come I still remember all those dead fundies in Tennessee and Mississippi? Or which were dead until the bizarre intervention?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Alan B » Sep 02, 2015 9:40 am

'Cos God works in mysterious ways, obviously! :snooty: :pray:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Clive Durdle » Sep 02, 2015 4:59 pm

I thought Loftus's point was to create brain explosions in fundies by getting them to pray for impossible things- for example why not start at the beginning, Oh God please make Eve dislike apples...
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby igorfrankensteen » Sep 02, 2015 10:34 pm

Unless you presume that everything happens entirely in each moment, entirely spontaneously, then you ARE praying for a change in the past, whenever you prey for a difference in the present.

On the other hand, the entire thread and it's question is based on a very narrow set of assumptions about what prayer actually is.

It is NOT primarily an act of begging for the magical intervention of a god. Those who insist it is, have blinded themselves to almost all of theism, and shouldn't be commenting on it until they calm down and actually look.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Clive Durdle » Sep 03, 2015 8:05 am

Thou shalt not play with ideas
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Clive Durdle » Sep 03, 2015 8:10 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:Praying to change anything is blasphemy, because all that occurs is by god's will. :dopey:

Matthew 17:20 (KJV) And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove ; and nothing shall be impossible unto you

So Jesus blasphemed?

And Igor, the above quote from the Gospel of Matthew is precisely what all those snake handlers etc assert.

Isn't praying to move mountains simple stuff, just needs a Vogon fleet. Getting Eve not to like apples though...
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Clive Durdle » Sep 03, 2015 8:12 am

Or Satan and his angels not to rebel..
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Clive Durdle » Sep 03, 2015 8:13 am

Asking God to leave us alone?
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby laklak » Sep 03, 2015 12:29 pm

Lol. Dear God, please fuck off. Amen.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 04, 2015 3:26 am

Clive Durdle wrote:
Darwinsbulldog wrote:Praying to change anything is blasphemy, because all that occurs is by god's will. :dopey:

Matthew 17:20 (KJV) And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove ; and nothing shall be impossible unto you

So Jesus blasphemed?

And Igor, the above quote from the Gospel of Matthew is precisely what all those snake handlers etc assert.

Isn't praying to move mountains simple stuff, just needs a Vogon fleet. Getting Eve not to like apples though...

Sure he did. I can't recall the exact chapter and verse, but Jeebees did tell his "dad" to fuck off on more than one occasion. :grin:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#19  Postby Alan B » Sep 04, 2015 8:52 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:Sure he did. I can't recall the exact chapter and verse, but Jeebees did tell his "dad" to fuck off on more than one occasion. :grin:

I always knew that He spoke English... :shifty:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Clive Durdle » Sep 04, 2015 10:57 am

Is the f word originally English?

If Jesus existed and spoke Greek he might have said it! Wiki

Etymology
The Oxford English Dictionary states that the ultimate etymology is uncertain, but that the word is "probably cognate" with a number of native Germanic words with meanings involving striking, rubbing, and having sex.[7]

"Flen, flyys and freris"
The usually accepted first known occurrence is in code in a poem in a mixture of Latin and English composed in the 15th century.[8] The poem, which satirizes the Carmelite friars of Cambridge, England, takes its title, "Flen flyys", from the first words of its opening line, Flen, flyys, and freris ("Fleas, flies, and friars"). The line that contains fuck reads Non sunt in coeli, quia gxddbov xxkxzt pg ifmk. Deciphering the phrase "gxddbov xxkxzt pg ifmk", here by replacing each letter by the previous letter in alphabetical order, as the English alphabet was then, yields the macaronic non sunt in coeli, quia fvccant vvivys of heli, which translated means, "They are not in heaven, because they fuck wives of Ely".[9] The phrase was coded likely because it accused monks of breaking their vows of celibacy;[8] it is uncertain to what extent the word fuck was considered acceptable at the time. (The stem of fvccant is an English word used as Latin: English medieval Latin has many examples of writers using English words when they did not know the Latin word: "workmannus" is an example.) (In the Middle English of this poem, the term wife was still used generically for "woman.")

Older etymology
Via Germanic
The word has probable cognates in other Germanic languages, such as German ficken (to fuck); Dutch fokken (to breed, to beget); dialectal Norwegian fukka (to copulate), and dialectal Swedish focka (to strike, to copulate) and fock (penis).[7] This points to a possible etymology where Common Germanic fuk– comes from an Indo-European root meaning "to strike", cognate with non-Germanic words such as Latin pugno "I fight" or pugnus "fist".[7] By application of Grimm's law, this hypothetical root has the form *pug–.

Yet another possible etymology is from the Old High German word pfluog, meaning "to plow, as in a field." This is supported in part by a book by Carl Jung, Psychology of the Unconscious: A Study of the Transformations and Symbolisms of the Libido, in which he discusses the "primitive play of words" and the phallic representation of the plough, including its appearance on a vase found in an archaeological dig near Florence, Italy, which depicts six erect-penised men carrying a plow.

The original Indo-European root for to copulate is likely to be * h3yebh– or *h3eybh–,[citation needed] which is attested in Sanskrit यभति (yabhati), Russian ебать (yebat' ), Polish jebać, and Serbian јебати (jebati), among others: compare the Greek verb οἴφω (oíphō) = "I have sex with", and the Greek noun Ζέφυρος (Zéphyros) (which references a Greek belief that the west wind Zephyrus caused pregnancy).

There is a theory that fuck is most likely derived from Flemish, German, or Dutch roots, and is probably not from Old English roots.[8]

Via Latin or Greek
There may be a kinship with the Latin futuere (futuo), a verb with almost exactly the same meaning as the English verb "to fuck". From fūtuere came French foutre, Catalan fotre, Italian fottere, Romanian futere, vulgar peninsular Spanish joder, Portuguese foder, and the obscure English equivalent to futter, coined by Richard Francis Burton. However, there is no clear past lineage or derivation for the Latin word. These roots, even if cognates, are not the original Indo-European word for to copulate, but Wayland Young argues that they derive from the Indo-European *bhu– or *bhug– ("be", "become"), or as causative "create" [see Young, 1964]. A possible intermediate might be a Latin 4th-declension verbal noun *fūtus, with possible meanings including "act of (pro)creating".

However, the connection to futuere has been disputed – Anatoly Liberman calls it a "coincidence" and writes that it is not likely to have been borrowed from the Low Germanic precursors to fuck.[10]

Greek phyō (φύω) has various meanings, including (of a man) "to beget", or (of a woman), "to give birth to".[11] Its perfect pephyka (πέφυκα) can be likened[citation needed] to "fuck" and its equivalents in other Germanic languages.[11]

Last edited by Clive Durdle on Sep 04, 2015 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Theism