Sam Keen - In the Absence of God.

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Sam Keen - In the Absence of God.

#1  Postby Jef » Mar 25, 2010 11:28 pm

A lecture to the First Congregational Church of Berkeley that discusses the essence of religion, and where religion goes wrong.

Wiki wrote:Sam Keen is a noted American author, professor and philosopher who is best known for his exploration of questions regarding love, life, religion, and being a man in contemporary society. He also co-produced an award-winning PBS documentary, was the subject of a Bill Moyers television special in the early 1990s, and for 20 years served as a contributing editor at Psychology Today magazine.

Keen completed his undergraduate studies at Ursinus College in Collegeville, Pennsylvania and later completed graduate degrees at Harvard University and Princeton University.

Keen is married to Rev. Patricia de Jong, who is Senior Minister at First Congregational Church of Berkeley, United Church of Christ, in Berkeley, California.

http://fora.tv/2010/03/11/Sam_Keen_In_T ... nce_of_God

Have to say that I found this to be an enjoyable, intelligent and persuasive talk on how to approach a personal philosophy, and one with which I find myself largely in agreement. As an atheist, however, my only question would be why one would need to call this approach a religious approach, and why it is necessary to conceive it in such definitively religious language? I suspect (but do not know, of course) that for Professor Keen it wouldn't make any difference what language one chose to represent these concepts; just whatever works for you. I can certainly identify with much of it from a purely secular standpoint.

Anyway... I liked it, so I thought I'd share it. It's not often you'll see me on here saying something nice about religion, but if all religions were like that of Professor Keen, I think things would be different.
Jef
RS Donator

Print view this post

Re: Sam Keen - In the Absence of God.

#2  Postby Roger Cooke » Mar 27, 2010 12:06 am

Very enjoyable lecture. My approach to life is pretty much orthogonal to his, so it doesn't particularly appeal to me, although I can certainly respect it.
"If it is a Miracle, any sort of evidence will answer, but if it is a Fact, proof is necessary" -- Mark Twain
Roger Cooke

Male

Print view this post

Re: Sam Keen - In the Absence of God.

#3  Postby mmmcheezy » Mar 27, 2010 12:53 am

Sorry, just had to pop in and say that my maiden name was Keon, and I go by Sam an awful lot, so the thread title was alarming at first!
But then I realized it was a completely different surname :D
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Theism