Serie 'A' shows red card to blasphemers

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Serie 'A' shows red card to blasphemers

#1  Postby IllegalCombatAnt » Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Take gods name in vain in the top Italian football league and yer off.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/02/italy-football-coach-god-blasphemy
Before Louis Pasteur it was the will of God that turned broth bad. After Pasteur? Well, God had to go and find other mean things to do.
IllegalCombatAnt

Male

Print view this post

Re: Serie 'A' shows red card to blasphemers

#2  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 02, 2010 10:20 pm

Jesus Christ on a bike. It wouldn't surprise me if the referee was just being a dickhead, and the authorities decided to unquestioningly back him up. Happens a lot in this country.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Mishakal » Mar 03, 2010 6:42 am

I'm sorry but is this 1635 and no one told me? :think:
It is interesting to find that people of faith now seek defensively to say that they are no worse than Nazis or Stalinists. ~ Christopher Hitchens, on the supposed atheism of Hitler and Stalin
Mishakal

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby natselrox » Mar 03, 2010 6:44 am

WTF?
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

Italian football coach banned for blasphemy

#5  Postby Simon_Gardner » Mar 03, 2010 7:57 am

The Guardian wrote:Italian coach banned for taking God’s name in vain

Chievo’s coach was not the only one caught out; one of his players, Michele Marcolini, was deemed to have said ’God’ as he left the field after a red card

* John Hooper in Rome
* guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 2 March 2010 20.20 GMT

Chievo duo Andrea Mantovani and Pablo Granoche celebrate their team’s 2-1 victory over Cagliari in Serie A. Domenico Di Carlo, their manager, has been banned for taking God’s name in vain. Photograph: Felice Calabro/AP

Domenico “Mimmo” Di Carlo could not be said to have emblazoned his name on the annals of Italian football – until, that is, last Sunday in the third minute of the second half of Chievo’s 2-1 victory over Cagliari in Serie A.

It was at this moment, according to the disciplinary watchdog of the Italian football league, that the Verona club’s coach “proffered a blasphemous expression” that was to make him the first victim of a zero-tolerance policy on irreverence. Di Carlo, whose side narrowly avoided relegation last season, was banned from the touchline for a game after Sunday’s outburst. The Italian federation, Federcalcio, decided last month that the time had come for disciplinary action to be taken against players and coaches heard taking God’s name in vain. The president, Giancarlo Abete, declared it would “intervene with official decisions to make clear that blasphemy is within the definition of ’offensive, insulting or abusive language’ in the rules [that warrant sending-off]”.

Chievo’s coach was not the only one caught out; one of his players, Michele Marcolini, was deemed to have said “God” as he left the field after a red card. After scrutiny of TV footage, however, the league judge, Gianpaolo Tosel, was convinced Marcolini had deployed “a slang expression used in Lombardy and [the region around Venice] with a crude reference to ’Diaz’ and not ’Dio’ ”– although no one on the pitch was called Diaz.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/02/italy-football-coach-god-blasphemy
Image (Since 27 Nov 1987)
Dates - YYYY/MM/DD; measure metric scientific.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts - attrib Patrick Moynihan
Simon_Gardner

Name: Twitter @Simon_Gardner

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Italian football coach banned for blasphemy

#6  Postby Calum » Mar 03, 2010 11:33 am

Perhaps they could enhanse the rules by also having the teams say prayers before the match and sing hymns at half time!
Calum
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby vsop44 » Mar 03, 2010 11:42 am

I think the italian federation wants Italy to be god's favorite team at the world cup in South Africa !
As long as it gave itself clear moral rules, a society of atheists could function just as well as any other ; Its citizens just as trustworthy, charitable, passionate for justice and loyal to their friends as any other .
Pierre Bayle 1647 - 1706
vsop44

Name: Cognac
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Jef » Mar 03, 2010 12:25 pm

I would have thought this decision would find itself in conflict with the rights of professional players. It will be interesting to watch what happens since, IIRC, the human rights angle has been cited as one of the reasons for the decline in blasphemy cases being brought here in the UK.

What I predict will happen, however, is nothing. Rather than alienate themselves from what, in Italy, would be a large number of religious fans, by pursuing what could turn out to be an expensive litigation process in order to enforce their strict rights on the matter, it's likely that the people involved will just suck it up and moderate their behaviour. I doubt they will perceive it as being worth the hassle.

I would be great if some militant atheist footballer in Serie A were to stand centre pitch and publicly deny the existence of God just to force the issue, but that's just wishful thinking.
Jef
RS Donator

Print view this post

#9  Postby Matt H » Mar 03, 2010 1:56 pm

I can't believe how stupid it is. How do they know the guy wasn't praying when he said 'Dio'?
"The most remarkable people, to me, were those who apparently approved of everything I said but nonetheless wouldn't dream of voting for the Liberal Party. It reminded me of Somalia: they wouldn't vote outside their clan."

Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Matt H

Male

Falkland Islands (fk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 03, 2010 4:50 pm

Irreverence and blasphemy? Fuck off! What's going on in Italy? :o
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby hackenslash » Mar 03, 2010 7:06 pm

:nono:
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Odysseus » Mar 03, 2010 7:28 pm

You'd think Italy had more pressing issues to deal with... like institutional corruption in politics and business, and don't get me started on paedo priests.... :nono:
Odysseus

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 03, 2010 7:36 pm

Odysseus wrote:You'd think Italy had more pressing issues to deal with... like institutional corruption in politics and business, and don't get me started on paedo priests.... :nono:

Never mind politics and business, they've got institutionalised corruption in football itself ffs. I suppose you can't be surprised in an industry where Berlusconi is one of the main owners.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#14  Postby lordshipmayhem » Mar 03, 2010 8:57 pm

Players and coaches swearing is as much a part of sports as celebrating an Olympic gold medal by drinking beer & champagne from the bottle, smoking and taking joyrides on the Zamboni.

In other words, it's tradition. Some twit who probably never played a pick-up game of shinny in their life is just trying to make political points.
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Paul1 » Mar 03, 2010 9:53 pm

Ohhhwww hiiiissss GOD
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.
Paul1

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Varangian » Mar 04, 2010 12:16 am

What's next? Having to be properly married in order to score? ;)

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#17  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 04, 2010 12:19 am

Varangian wrote:What's next? Having to be properly married in order to score? ;)

I thought married men never scored?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#18  Postby lordshipmayhem » Mar 04, 2010 2:40 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Varangian wrote:What's next? Having to be properly married in order to score? ;)

I thought married men never scored?

Thread win :tongue:
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Liam Miller » Mar 04, 2010 3:34 am

And here I thought 'god' was just the job description.
Liam Miller

Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby nastler » Mar 04, 2010 6:41 pm

Footballers are always going on about God and it's starting to piss me off.
Mostly the Brazilian and African ones I suppose but ...
When is someone gonna score a goal and whip off his top to reveal a scarlet A?
"Everyone prefers cloth monkeys" - http://www.doctorisland.com/
nastler

Male

Print view this post

Return to Theism