Sunday night’s blood moon prediction irksome for Mormon Chur

The end is night, tonight to be precise

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Sunday night’s blood moon prediction irksome for Mormon Chur

#1  Postby crank » Sep 27, 2015 4:02 pm

This isn't all that interesting, just another end-times prediction, soon to prove, like all the others, bogus. This one comes from a Mormon, and got popular enough in the Church for them to feel a need to quash it. It's tied to a rare astronomical event, a 'blood moon', which is tonight. So, the end is nigh(t), tonight to be precise!

From USAA Today:
A blood moon occurs when there’s a full moon in close proximity to the Earth — a so-called super moon — in combination with an eclipse of the moon, which happens when the Earth passes between the sun and moon.

The two events will produce a reddish glow around the somewhat darkened moon for about an hour Sunday night. The last blood moon occurred in 1982 and the next one won’t occur until 2033.

Mormon author Julie Rowe is getting heat for her prediction linking the blood moon and recent calamities to the end times. Rowe issued a statement on her website Sept. 10 acknowledging that her story “is not intended to be authoritative nor to create any church doctrine.’
Rowe writes about and speaks to audiences about a near-death experience in 2004 when she says she crossed over into the spirit world and was shown tragic upcoming world calamities and told she would be expected to tell others in the future, the Associated Press reported.

"That time has come," her website says.

On blood moons, USA Today:
It almost sounds like something from a comic strip: A total supermoon lunar eclipse, also known as a blood moon. But this is for real — and it's happening Sunday night through Monday.

Here's what you need to know:

What's actually happening is a confluence of three things. The moon will be full and in its closest point in its orbit around the Earth, making it a so-called supermoon, according to Dr. David Wolf, a former NASA astronaut and "extraordinary scientist in residence" for The Children's Museum. Supermoons appear 14% larger and 33% brighter than other full moons.

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

Re: Sunday night’s blood moon prediction irksome for Mormon Chur

#2  Postby scott1328 » Sep 28, 2015 8:29 pm

So? Did the world end yesterday, or not?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby laklak » Sep 28, 2015 8:33 pm

Yes, it did. But we don't know because of quantum something or another.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Arnold Layne » Sep 28, 2015 9:07 pm

When we say the world ended, do we mean the world-in-itself? :?
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby laklak » Sep 28, 2015 10:31 pm

Indeed. One might argue that the observed end of the world was not the end of the world-in-itself but merely the end of the observer.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Animavore » Sep 28, 2015 10:39 pm

Have they come out and said it was a spiritual death yet?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Return to Theism