Why accept anything less than gods revealing themselves...

...as evidence that they exist?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Why accept anything less than gods revealing themselves...

#61  Postby laklak » Dec 28, 2013 4:15 am

hackenslash wrote:
I would contend that it's precisely that circumstance, when you have your own personal revelation, that the spidey-sense should be tingling the most. The human brain is a virtual-reality generator par excellence. In a circumstance of personal revelation, that's when I become most skeptical.

Pretty much. If God popped out of a cloud and wrote in flaming letters "I AM THE LORD THY GOD" across the sky I'd figure someone slipped acid in my drink. If it happened again I'd get a brain MRI pronto.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#62  Postby backmarker » Dec 28, 2013 4:26 am

hackenslash wrote:
backmarker wrote:I agree that testimony can be unreliable, but if it is worthless, what good is a study to me?

Well, a rigorous study isn't merely testimony, and such studies have been conducted. Testimony is worthless.

How are the results of a study communicated, if not by testimony?
backmarker

Print view this post

#63  Postby John Platko » Dec 28, 2013 4:41 am

laklak wrote:
hackenslash wrote:
I would contend that it's precisely that circumstance, when you have your own personal revelation, that the spidey-sense should be tingling the most. The human brain is a virtual-reality generator par excellence. In a circumstance of personal revelation, that's when I become most skeptical.

Pretty much. If God popped out of a cloud and wrote in flaming letters "I AM THE LORD THY GOD" across the sky I'd figure someone slipped acid in my drink. If it happened again I'd get a brain MRI pronto.

Fair enough, but if the MRI comes back ok and it happens a third time, what then?
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#64  Postby hackenslash » Dec 28, 2013 9:47 am

backmarker wrote:
hackenslash wrote:
backmarker wrote:I agree that testimony can be unreliable, but if it is worthless, what good is a study to me?

Well, a rigorous study isn't merely testimony, and such studies have been conducted. Testimony is worthless.

How are the results of a study communicated, if not by testimony?

There's a process. Perhaps you've heard of it. It's called peer-review. What happens is that the person conducting the study writes down every detail of the study, including an abstract of what she's hoping to learn from the study, what hypotheses are being tested, the experimental design details, the conclusions reached and the reasoning by which said conclusions were reached, including details of all assumptions, error bars (most important this, as no measurement is meaningful without them). This is then sent to a panel of experts in the relevant field, who try to break it by showing a flaw somewhere. This isn't testimony.

Of course, you could pick up the details of the study and simply take them at face value, in which case you could reasonably describe your reading of it as testimony, but that doesn't actually make it testimony.

Testimony is worthless.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#65  Postby BlackBart » Dec 28, 2013 10:52 am

John Platko wrote:
laklak wrote:
hackenslash wrote:

Fair enough, but if the MRI comes back ok and it happens a third time, what then?

Are LSD or brain lesions the only things that cause hallucinations or delusions, John?
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#66  Postby theropod » Dec 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Jebus fever can cause all sorts of wild hallucinations!

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#67  Postby backmarker » Dec 28, 2013 3:54 pm

@hackenslash: Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology? In any case, I personally find utility in whatever that thing is that I called "testimony." For example: if the traffic guy on the radio tells me the freeway is backed up, I take a different route to work. My reaction depends on circumstance, of course; If the traffic guy told me he saw Elvis today, I wouldn't believe him.
backmarker

Print view this post

#68  Postby laklak » Dec 28, 2013 3:59 pm

John Platko wrote:
laklak wrote:
hackenslash wrote:

Haldol and thorazine. I would not trust any experience that happened only to me.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#69  Postby quas » Dec 28, 2013 4:32 pm

The point is that the founders of all religions have had direct revelations. They have conversed directly with their gods and in some cases have been the illegitimate children of gods. None of these people had to rely on faith. They were witnesses and participants with the interactions of these gods.

Congrats to the thread starter for a very excellent topic idea. I also like the bit about kung fu masters/ magical gurus who boasted about having superpowers that are "not to be tested". There's only one more thing to add. The religious founders are usually considered the holiest of holiest. The prophet Mohamed, for example, was said to be the most perfect human being to ever live. Most perfect as in most perfect everything: most virtuous, most religious, most noble, most faithful (at least to God anyway), etc. So if such a perfectly religious man was not required to believe entirely on faith, then why are we all normal, less-than-perfect beings, expected to do more by believing entirely on faith? Perhaps we are actually more perfect than most perfect? :angel:
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#70  Postby John Platko » Dec 28, 2013 5:03 pm

laklak wrote:
John Platko wrote:
laklak wrote:
hackenslash wrote:

Haldol and thorazine. I would not trust any experience that happened only to me.

What if you were sure that no drugs were involved because the doctors were testing for drugs too and it wasn't just you who saw this apparition but two of your friends also - but nobody else?
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#71  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 28, 2013 7:20 pm

What if, what if, what if.... It never ends, does it?

If it isn't repeatable, independently verifiable, the very best you can call it is an "I don't know what the fuck it was".
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#72  Postby laklak » Dec 28, 2013 7:38 pm

John Platko wrote:
laklak wrote:
John Platko wrote:
laklak wrote:

What if you were sure that no drugs were involved because the doctors were testing for drugs too and it wasn't just you who saw this apparition but two of your friends also - but nobody else?

I meant I would start taking Haldol and Thorazine, because I'd be schizophrenic. If more than one person saw it, and it happened repeatedly, then I would look for other explanations. Rational, scientific explanations. What I wouldn't do is immediately jump to the conclusion that some deity was communicating with us. Here's the problem. Many people have seen ghosts, spirits, apparitions, sometimes multiple people have seen them. Sometimes they are seen repeatedly. However, whenever anyone tries to investigate, from a scientific, rational perspective, nothing happens. The spirits don't "cooperate", for some reason. Now, we can posit any number of reasons for this. Maybe cameras really do capture the spirit and they don't want to be trapped. Maybe they get their jollies fucking with us. Maybe it requires "faith" so see them. Or (this is my opinion) - they aren't fucking real.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#73  Postby chairman bill » Dec 28, 2013 7:53 pm

laklak wrote:... they aren't fucking real.

I think that's the most likely explanation, and the best fit for the data, such as it is
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Shrunk » Dec 28, 2013 8:53 pm

John Platko wrote:
laklak wrote:
John Platko wrote:
laklak wrote:

How do you know your friends aren't lying just to placate you?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#75  Postby John Platko » Dec 28, 2013 9:49 pm

laklak wrote:
John Platko wrote:
laklak wrote:
John Platko wrote:

I meant I would start taking Haldol and Thorazine, because I'd be schizophrenic. If more than one person saw it, and it happened repeatedly, then I would look for other explanations. Rational, scientific explanations. What I wouldn't do is immediately jump to the conclusion that some deity was communicating with us. Here's the problem. Many people have seen ghosts, spirits, apparitions, sometimes multiple people have seen them. Sometimes they are seen repeatedly. However, whenever anyone tries to investigate, from a scientific, rational perspective, nothing happens. The spirits don't "cooperate", for some reason. Now, we can posit any number of reasons for this. Maybe cameras really do capture the spirit and they don't want to be trapped. Maybe they get their jollies fucking with us. Maybe it requires "faith" so see them. Or (this is my opinion) - they aren't fucking real.

Interesting. I tend to just trust my eyes until proven wrong.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#76  Postby John Platko » Dec 28, 2013 9:50 pm

Shrunk wrote:
John Platko wrote:
laklak wrote:
John Platko wrote:

How do you know your friends aren't lying just to placate you?

Ohhhh, I never thought of that - it would explain a lot though.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Shrunk » Dec 28, 2013 10:20 pm

Here are a number of things that you and friends might want to look at:

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/psych ... 42188.html
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Theism