2 Billionaires want to get humans out of computer simulation

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

2 Billionaires want to get humans out of computer simulation

#1  Postby the_5th_ape » Oct 07, 2016 5:20 am

Tech billionaires are asking scientists for help breaking humans out of the computer simulation

The theory that we might all be living in a computer simulation has gotten so popular among Silicon Valley’s tech elites that two billionaires are now apparently pouring money into breaking us out of the simulation.

That’s according to a new profile in The New Yorker about Y Combinator’s Sam Altman. The story delves into Altman’s life and successes at the helm of the famous boot-camp and investment fund for tech startups, and doesn’t shy away from the quirkier aspects of Altman’s character.

In the piece, Altman discusses his theories about being controlled by technology and delves into the simulation theory, which is the idea that human beings are unwittingly just the characters in someone else’s computer simulation.

The simulation idea has gained popularity among Silicon Valley’s elite — it’s so popular that even Elon Musk is tired of talking about it. But now, a few of the tech industry’s billionaires might be doing something about it.
Thanking God for sparing you in a natural disaster is like
sending a thank-you note to a serial killer for stabbing the family next door

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why? Best Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

Re: 2 Billionaires want to get humans out of computer simulation

#2  Postby Mike_L » Oct 07, 2016 9:31 am

...Elon Musk...

Neo L. Musk is going to free us from the Matrix! :jump:

The sooner, the better! :nod:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Sendraks » Oct 07, 2016 9:36 am

The theory stupid pie in the sky fantasy that we might all be living in a computer simulation has gotten so popular among Silicon Valley’s tech elites that two billionaires are now apparently pouring money into breaking us out of the simulation although there is no evidence or rational reason to conclude there is any such thing.

F.I.F.Y

Fucking stupidity.
:coffee:
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby chairman bill » Oct 07, 2016 11:07 am

Sendraks wrote:
The theory stupid pie in the sky fantasy that we might all be living in a computer simulation has gotten so popular among Silicon Valley’s tech elites that two billionaires are now apparently pouring money into breaking us out of the simulation although there is no evidence or rational reason to conclude there is any such thing.

F.I.F.Y

Fucking stupidity.
:coffee:

Oh come on. It's a thread by the_5th_ape. It's obviously all true.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Willie71 » Oct 08, 2016 4:10 am

Not commenting on the article in the OP, but there are physicists who say the simulation idea is not incompatible with what we u derstand about the physics. The 3D hologram is pretty supported too.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby tuco » Oct 08, 2016 7:45 am

Mike_L wrote:
...Elon Musk...

Neo L. Musk is going to free us from the Matrix! :jump:

The sooner, the better! :nod:

What? I did not vote for this! Less so for "reality". I just want my steaks ;)
tuco

Print view this post

#8  Postby ED209 » Oct 08, 2016 10:00 am

I never got the assumption behind that theory.

There were more people actually living in edwardian times than there are in the cast of downton abbey or whatever. Where is this sudden popularity in historic simulations supposed to come from?
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#9  Postby tolman » Oct 08, 2016 8:10 pm

How would a simulated entity be supposed to 'break out of the simulation' if they were simply some kind of process in a machine?
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#10  Postby Arcanyn » Oct 09, 2016 4:30 am

Maybe asking the operators nicely if they could kindly go to the bother of making physical bodies for us and uploading us into them?
Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Rumraket » Oct 09, 2016 7:14 am

It all started here in 2011: Go to 1:00:18 in the video, that's when the madness starts.

Which eventually lead to this panel discussion, and now everybody's losing their minds. :roll:
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#12  Postby Mike_L » Oct 09, 2016 8:27 am

It looks like a new spin on a very old idea. In bygone centuries, the thinking of some people was that life is all just a dream (or nightmare). In the computer age, "simulation" has merely taken the place of "dream / nightmare".

I recall an earlier post in another thread...

Mike_L wrote:...
Chuang Tse (around 300BC):
"Who knows when the end is reached? Death may be the beginning of life. How do I know that love of life is not a delusion after all? How do I know that he who dreads to die is as a child who has lost the way and cannot find his way home? How do I know that the dead repent of having previously clung to life?"

And there's author Nathaniel Hawthorne:
"We sometimes congratulate ourselves at the moment of waking from a troubled dream; it may be so the moment after death."

What these ideas have in common with the theistic view of a "soul" is the unsubstantiated belief in a "something else".
But if the neuroscience model is sufficient to describe our experience of reality then these additional "layers" become superfluous.
I do like the fact that these questions are being explored in science... but until there's sufficient weight of evidence to suggest a "something else", the materialistic notion that consciousness arises in the wetware of the brain is the one that seems most parsimonious (Occam's razor) and therefore the most credible.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby newolder » Oct 09, 2016 8:35 am

A computer program for simulating time travel and a possible 'solution' for the grandfather paradox might have some relevance. :dunno:

The proposed 'solution' is neat though and their Figure 5 explains it well...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby Willie71 » Oct 09, 2016 3:30 pm

The 3D hologram idea is pretty compelling. The math works too.

We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Willie71 » Oct 09, 2016 3:40 pm

Wasn't the idea initially (computer simulation) proposed by Nick Boston, in the early 2000's, or late 90's iirc?
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16  Postby newolder » Oct 09, 2016 3:43 pm

There are quite a few 'arguments from authority' out there and even Nobel Laureates in physics are included - George Smoot aims to create a sliver of doubt - not a route out of the simulation...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Oct 09, 2016 4:51 pm

Does it get better after 9:41?
That appears to be my attention span for this sort of ... stuff.

Bottom line: Solipsism is irrelevant. no matter how it's spelled correctly
Last edited by Agi Hammerthief on Oct 09, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#18  Postby newolder » Oct 09, 2016 4:52 pm

Not as far as I can tell. :lol: No sign of a sliver of doubt either. :rolleyes:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby laklak » Oct 09, 2016 5:47 pm

We know this is not a computer simulation, because in a computer simulation Windows would fucking work.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#20  Postby tolman » Oct 09, 2016 6:45 pm

It could be a simulation written by the guys who wrote Norton Antivirus.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

Next

Return to General Science & Technology