End of Net Neutrality?

I don't like this one bit

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: End of Net Neutrality?

#21  Postby Kenaz » May 17, 2014 2:41 am

I quite enjoy the unique level of equity (at least in potential and availability) that the Interwebz possesses. The fact that this is even being attempted, while not, sadly, surprising, shows a great deal about how we are going to turn everything into a system of who has the most money and luck rather than potential, passion, and drive.
Question marks may be at the end of sentences; but in life they are the introduction.
Kenaz
RS Donator

Print view this post

#22  Postby kennyc » May 17, 2014 1:04 pm

I despise this.

It's is just one more step in allowing the corporations (and the 1%) to control our future!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby kennyc » May 23, 2014 11:59 am

Comments are still open, please go to: http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/upload/display?z=taer8 and tell them what you think!

The 'proceeding number' is 14-28

Take a minute and help stop this atrocity!
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby kennyc » Jun 18, 2014 11:13 am

Democrats Aim to Reinstate Network Neutrality With New Bill:

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/democrats-bill/
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Sovereign » Jun 18, 2014 8:44 pm

kennyc wrote:Democrats Aim to Reinstate Network Neutrality With New Bill:

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/democrats-bill/

Ya but they don't have the numbers to pass it.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby theropod » Jun 18, 2014 8:49 pm

kennyc wrote:Comments are still open, please go to: http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/upload/display?z=taer8 and tell them what you think!

The 'proceeding number' is 14-28

Take a minute and help stop this atrocity!

I must be missing something as I keep getting an error that I haven't filled in all the required fields, but I have. At the bottom of the page it asks for a document to submit. Do I need to prepare a text document to attach or is there a text field, like here, where we enter our comments. Something is screwed up, and it probably is me. I hate US government web sites as they seem to have been designed by prison wardens.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Aca » Nov 10, 2014 4:33 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/11/techn ... 22000&_r=1

WASHINGTON — President Obama on Monday put the full weight of his administration behind an open and free Internet, calling for a strict policy of so-called net neutrality and formally opposing deals in which content providers like Netflix would pay huge sums to broadband companies for faster access to their customers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... -title-ii/

President Obama called on the Federal Communications Commission Monday to take a major step toward policing the way Internet service providers manage Web traffic.

Obama urged FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler to "reclassify" ISPs such as Comcast and Verizon under Title II of the Communications Act, giving the agency more power over how the companies operate. The idea is controversial, but popular among net neutrality advocates, who want to ensure that ISPs cannot block or slow Internet traffic to consumers.

"I am asking the Federal Communications Commission to answer the call of almost 4 million public comments, and implement the strongest possible rules to protect net neutrality," said Obama in a statement. "I believe the FCC should create a new set of rules protecting net neutrality and ensuring that neither the cable company nor the phone company will be able to act as a gatekeeper, restricting what you can do or see online."
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#28  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Nov 10, 2014 5:31 pm

Sovereign wrote:This means large phone and cable companies will be able to “shakedown” startups and established companies in every sector, requiring payment for reliable service. In fact, during the oral argument in the current case, Verizon’s lawyer said, “I’m authorized to state from my client today that but for these [FCC] rules we would be exploring those types of arrangements

Or even worse, they could offer their own services in those sectors and force out their competition in effect creating their own intrawebs. In other words the AOL portal effect.

That's when I'll be going back to reading books, newspapers and magazines.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Sovereign » Nov 11, 2014 5:02 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:
Sovereign wrote:This means large phone and cable companies will be able to “shakedown” startups and established companies in every sector, requiring payment for reliable service. In fact, during the oral argument in the current case, Verizon’s lawyer said, “I’m authorized to state from my client today that but for these [FCC] rules we would be exploring those types of arrangements

Or even worse, they could offer their own services in those sectors and force out their competition in effect creating their own intrawebs. In other words the AOL portal effect.

That's when I'll be going back to reading books, newspapers and magazines.

Were you reading The Oatmeal?
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby kennyc » Nov 11, 2014 5:25 pm

Aca wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/11/technology/obama-net-neutrality-fcc.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&bicmst=1409232722000&bicmet=1419773522000&_r=1

WASHINGTON — President Obama on Monday put the full weight of his administration behind an open and free Internet, calling for a strict policy of so-called net neutrality and formally opposing deals in which content providers like Netflix would pay huge sums to broadband companies for faster access to their customers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... -title-ii/

President Obama called on the Federal Communications Commission Monday to take a major step toward policing the way Internet service providers manage Web traffic.

Obama urged FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler to "reclassify" ISPs such as Comcast and Verizon under Title II of the Communications Act, giving the agency more power over how the companies operate. The idea is controversial, but popular among net neutrality advocates, who want to ensure that ISPs cannot block or slow Internet traffic to consumers.

"I am asking the Federal Communications Commission to answer the call of almost 4 million public comments, and implement the strongest possible rules to protect net neutrality," said Obama in a statement. "I believe the FCC should create a new set of rules protecting net neutrality and ensuring that neither the cable company nor the phone company will be able to act as a gatekeeper, restricting what you can do or see online."

This is good. Somebody's gotta stop Comcast.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Nov 11, 2014 5:34 pm

Sovereign wrote:
Were you reading The Oatmeal?

First time I've seen that, but that sums it up. If telecoms can control access to their networks, then it is in their interests to create intranet portals to trap you into their own revenue producing cesspool of ads and services.

The rest of the internet would either be their competition or their clients and they will control your access to it. They would be stupid not to.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Science & Technology