Folding@Home Team: 182116

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Folding@Home Team: 182116

#2281  Postby Griz_ » Dec 06, 2014 7:29 pm

Congrats on getting up and running! :cheers:

I'm curious to hear about your impressions of the Big Apple. Must be a real culture shock.
Griz_

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2282  Postby kiore » Dec 06, 2014 8:18 pm

OK folding in South Sudan, well quite a complex thing as no infrastructure like phone lines and an almost unusable mobile network so internet connection a huge issue. I used satellite, first VSAT then WIMAX both very very expensive ($US 450/month) and not that fast, the VSAT subject to weather interference. Electricity supply also subject to frequent interruptions and fluctuations. The dust pretty serious and the temperature rarely below 30c and frequently above 40c. No computer hardware or electronics available locally and shipping things into the country almost impossible so all equipment had to be purchased elsewhere and then hand carried.. My departure may actually see the beginnings of a computer hardware store, as I gave several large boxes of hardware cables, old ram, psus and gpus to a local enthusiast and he is building a business upgrading old computers. Effectively I threw them in the rubbish and he 'recycled' them, it being technically illegal for me to give him things purchased out of the country and just too complex to do it another way.
I idea of people having 'gaming' systems is almost unheard of, and so I was pretty sure that whatever system I had would be the newest and fastest in the country. This also meant no tech support and that if I needed hardware of any sort I needed to bring from Europe where I went on leave every 8 weeks, so needed to keep a ready stock of extras just in case, why I ended up with boxes of fans and cables and spare PSUs etc which as I was restricted to 50kgs on leaving stayed behind, including the 2 SATA cables I should have packed.
Oh and I lived in a 18sm transportable room so space also an issue..especially when I was running 2 systems and 5 GPUs.
Am pretty certain I was the only folder in the country.
Folding and building etc actually quite a good hobby in a place where you can't go outside much and I would have needed an expensive internet connection anyway just to keep in contact with the outside world.

Contrasted to NYC, well I can buy SATA cables at 10PM here for a start.. :smoke:
I am quite liking being in a city and be able to move around freely and buy things, am walking to work and back with is about 8klms a day, also enjoying being cold for a change although am sure I will get bored with this quickly.
I do find it to be quite foreign, have never lived in the US before and systems are taking a while to learn but it is only 1 month so early days yet. Overall I am very happy to be here and enjoying myself. Have decided to learn Spanish as easy to practice here, and learning a language always a fun and useful thing in a foreign place, also a new social network perhaps.
As hardware cheapish want to build up my folding system, and when in permanent accommodation maybe build a second one.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2283  Postby kiore » Dec 13, 2014 12:58 am

Have a 2nd card on line now, EVGA Classified GTX 780ti.. A little early xmas present to myself. Hadn't realised how huge it would be significantly bigger than the EVGA ACX GTX 780ti.. Bloody hell! and takes 2x 8 pin and 1 x 6 pin PCIE to drive it.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2284  Postby Griz_ » Dec 13, 2014 5:33 am

Nice to have you back "in the fold".

Impressive production :thumbup:
Griz_

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2285  Postby kiore » Dec 13, 2014 6:49 pm

Expect to be back up to 400k PPD + per day average soon, got 450k yesterday. Really depends on the supply of the big GPU units like the project 1300's.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2286  Postby Rasmunsen » Dec 14, 2014 11:38 pm

And I actually thought I might catch you. Oh, well. Stanford and Con Edison thank you.
The egg came first.

Rasmunsen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2287  Postby kiore » Dec 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Rasmunsen wrote:And I actually thought I might catch you. Oh, well. Stanford and Con Edison thank you.

Ha! well unsure how long I can keep up the fan noise, have a visitor coming who might need it turned off at night.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2288  Postby kiore » Dec 17, 2014 2:33 am

Have finally regained my #1 in the team for total production title, overtook Taxman after 3 years of work.. Phew.
My system wound back a little as still have some heat issues to work with.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2289  Postby Griz_ » Dec 17, 2014 2:35 am

:thumbup: :clap: :dance: :cheers:

Well done sir!

The Team seems to be doing very well of late. Especially so now that you're back.
Griz_

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2290  Postby kiore » Dec 17, 2014 3:20 am

Griz_ wrote::thumbup: :clap: :dance: :cheers:

Well done sir!

The Team seems to be doing very well of late. Especially so now that you're back.

We have a good number of regulars pumping away, and don't rely on just 1 or 2 high fliers to drive the output, Taxman for example who I just passed generated an incredible output and more than the rest of the team put together when active. He really made us move and completed significant science. When he moved on it was really difficult, but now the production is spread over a bigger group issues like me shutting down fr 6 weeks actually did not significantly affect our numbers.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2291  Postby Hotdoh » Jan 28, 2015 9:44 pm

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this is the wrong place to post, so I'm sorry if it is.

I've been folding with ASH for a little while now; I have four systems folding which include the following processors:

1x GTX 660
1x GTX 550
3x FX-6300
1x i5 2540m

I'm expecting a GTX 970 to arrive this Monday, and I'd like to use it properly. I've read that there are certain options such as bigadv (although maybe this is no longer occurring). I'm not sure if I need to configure anything at all or if the default settings are best for me. I'm also curious as to whether anyone knows the PPD one can expect with a 970. I've read 350K but that seems just insane to me.

I've also attempted to enable remote access with very little success. Somehow I managed to view my main PC from the secondary one, so I removed the main PC from the list of clients on the secondary PC, but now I'm unable to add the secondary to the main, and I'm also now unable to add the main back to the secondary. All of the systems are connected locally. I'm kinda confused at this point and any help would be great. :)
Hotdoh

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2292  Postby kiore » Jan 29, 2015 1:23 am

Welcome Hotdoh!
The GTX 970 is currently the top producing card per watt and $, yes it does have excellent capacity unfortunately NV have yet to produce a good driver for it although this is underway. Once that happens then some of the current restrictions will be lifted, right now it will do a mix of cores some of which (core 15) does not have the quick return bonus so will not be so spectacular, but the core 17s will give you a QRB and maybe the numbers you speak of. Restrictions discussed here:
https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=27208
Big Advanced is over and was only for 36 core machines, other flags you may want try are: advanced which will give you units just out of beta testing, they also have a higher failure rate though.

Remote access is too complicated for this rat,this thread might help:
https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php? ... ss#p272796
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2293  Postby Hotdoh » Jan 30, 2015 12:13 am

Thanks for the information. I might just forget the whole remote access thing. I guess I can just walk up and down stairs more easily. :-P

I'll post back here again when I have something like an average PPD; hopefully I'll be climbing that top 20 away from my current 14th place.
Hotdoh

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2294  Postby kiore » Jan 30, 2015 12:38 am

Hotdoh wrote:Thanks for the information. I might just forget the whole remote access thing. I guess I can just walk up and down stairs more easily. :-P

I'll post back here again when I have something like an average PPD; hopefully I'll be climbing that top 20 away from my current 14th place.

I would expect with that hardware the team top 3 is a viable spot.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2295  Postby halucigenia » Jan 31, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi Hotdoh
Hotdoh wrote:I might just forget the whole remote access thing.

You mean being able to control all of your FAH clients from one PC through the "Client advanced control" application?
I do that quite easily, though I am using linux so it might be a bit different if you are using MS windows.
Basically I have the following in my config.xml for FAH on each PC.
Code: Select all
<config>
  <!-- HTTP Server -->
  <allow v='127.0.0.1 [ip addresses other PCs running FAH]'/>

<!-- Network -->
  <proxy v=':8080'/>

<!-- Remote Command Server -->
  <password v='[made up password for all PCs]/>

<!-- Slot Control -->
  <power v='full'/>

<!-- User Information -->
  <passkey v='xxxxxx'/>
  <team v='182116'/>
  <user v='halucigenia'/>

<!-- Web Server -->
  <web-allow v='127.0.0.1 [ip addresses other PCs running FAH]'/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='1' type='GPU'>
    <client-type v='advanced'/>
  </slot>
</config>

I guess that you could use host names instead of IP addresses if you use DHCP though.

In the "Client advanced control" application just click the ADD button below the client window and on the configure window that pops up, give the client a name, enter its IP address or hostname, and type the password that you made up in the config file.
FAH-L-MainScreen-Configure.jpg
FAH-L-MainScreen-Configure.jpg (136.99 KiB) Viewed 2107 times

I guess that you may have to enable communication on the default port 36330 on any firewall between the various PCs or change the default port and enable that if you think that may be blocked.

See:Folding@home Client Control
halucigenia

Print view this post

#2296  Postby Hotdoh » Feb 01, 2015 1:18 am

halucigenia wrote:
I guess that you may have to enable communication on the default port 36330 on any firewall between the various PCs or change the default port and enable that if you think that may be blocked.

I have attempted to connect via ip address as well as host name. I have not configured any firewalls. I was able to view my main PC from my secondary, but, after attempting to reverse this situation (view secondary from the main), I am now unable to view either PC from either PC. I have windows 8.1. I am not so concerned about remote access as all of my PCs are in the same house; so be it if I must physically move in order to manage...it's not too far. But thank you for your knowledge. :)
Hotdoh

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2297  Postby kiore » Feb 01, 2015 1:51 am

Hodoh, have you got that GTX 970 installed yet? Interested to see how you go with it.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2298  Postby halucigenia » Feb 01, 2015 10:15 am

Hotdoh wrote:
halucigenia wrote:

I have attempted to connect via ip address as well as host name. I have not configured any firewalls. I was able to view my main PC from my secondary, but, after attempting to reverse this situation (view secondary from the main), I am now unable to view either PC from either PC. I have windows 8.1. I am not so concerned about remote access as all of my PCs are in the same house; so be it if I must physically move in order to manage...it's not too far. But thank you for your knowledge. :)

I would imagine one way should be sufficient, it seems strange that you tried secondary>main first rather than main>secondary.
I must admit that I have only tried it one way myself, main>secondary.
Obviously the lines such as
<allow v='127.0.0.1 [ip addresses other PCs running FAH]'/>

Have to be
<allow v='127.0.0.1 [ip address of secondary]'/>
on the main PC
and
<allow v='127.0.0.1 [ip address of main]'/>
on the secondary
etc.
Even with PCs which are side by side I find it more convenient to control FAH from my main PC In fact I need to because I don't even have the "Client advanced control" application on my secondary PC, just the FAH service.

I am looking forward to hear about your experience with the 790 as I keep scouring the internet for one at a good price and now see from the FAH forums that some users have them working in linux which is what I was waiting for.
halucigenia

Print view this post

#2299  Postby Hotdoh » Feb 03, 2015 8:15 am

I just got the 970 up at about nine hours ago, and so far it looks like I'm going to get about 220K from that card per day. Thank you for your help halucigenia, I will probably try remote control again later. I got the card for about $315 and free shipping from superbiiz. I am noticing a very annoying high pitched noise (coil whine?) while folding near 100% power. As of this moment the noise is gone, but the power % (according to MSI afterburner) is only at about 80 right now. It doesn't make this noise at all when gaming even with vsync disabled. Any help on how to get the noise to go away? Is it a defect of the card that I should return it for? My PSU is a Corsair CX 750W. Just woke up, kinda rambling. :)
Hotdoh

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2300  Postby DKeane » Feb 03, 2015 2:56 pm

Hotdoh wrote:I just got the 970 up at about nine hours ago, and so far it looks like I'm going to get about 220K from that card per day. Thank you for your help halucigenia, I will probably try remote control again later. I got the card for about $315 and free shipping from superbiiz. I am noticing a very annoying high pitched noise (coil whine?) while folding near 100% power. As of this moment the noise is gone, but the power % (according to MSI afterburner) is only at about 80 right now. It doesn't make this noise at all when gaming even with vsync disabled. Any help on how to get the noise to go away? Is it a defect of the card that I should return it for? My PSU is a Corsair CX 750W. Just woke up, kinda rambling. :)

Welcome and congrats on the new card, should be up and running with some nice ppd. Team is doing really well, as evidenced by the fact I'm back in 15th place on point production. Awesome.
DKeane

Name: Dennis Keane

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology