How do you put a password on your wi-fi?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

How do you put a password on your wi-fi?

#1  Postby Mac_Guffin » Nov 02, 2010 2:52 am

I thought there would be a quick "enable security" link or something like that, but I don't see anything. :confused:
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: How do you put a password on your wi-fi?

#2  Postby LIFE » Nov 02, 2010 3:23 am

RTFM :D
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Mac_Guffin » Nov 02, 2010 3:26 am

LIFE wrote:RTFM :D

Does that mean "read the fucking manual"? If so, I don't fucking have it. :rage:
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby LIFE » Nov 02, 2010 3:36 am

Well give more information, do you access the internet through a wi-fi capable router?
If so access the router menu and browse through the pages, you should find a page with security settings.
Depending on the settings you choose it will ask you to define a pre-shared key, which is a password you set.

Or you could as well type the model no into Google and set what it comes up with.
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Mac_Guffin » Nov 02, 2010 3:50 am

LIFE wrote:Well give more information, do you access the internet through a wi-fi capable router?
If so access the router menu and browse through the pages, you should find a page with security settings.
Depending on the settings you choose it will ask you to define a pre-shared key, which is a password you set.

Or you could as well type the model no into Google and set what it comes up with.

Yeah, I use a router... but I don't know where to access a menu. :scratch:
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby byofrcs » Nov 02, 2010 4:15 am

Open a browser and type in the address of your gateway.

To find your gateway look at your link status and you'll see the gateway or if that isn't displayed
then on Windows open a command prompt (Start -> Run and then enter in cmd and then in the
command prompt type in,

netstat -rn

and then the column with the "Gateway" will have a number of entries - and find the line that says,

"Default gateway" or which has a route for 0.0.0.0

It'll be like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or similar.

You should hit a login prompt or maybe it goes straight in.

For the manual go to the manufacturers web site and usually they'll have the manuals
online.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Mantisdreamz » Nov 02, 2010 4:29 am

Or you can just call your provider, and they will tell you to open up your browser and take you to a page where you can do all that.
Mantisdreamz

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby byofrcs » Nov 02, 2010 4:35 am

...also don't forget to tell your neighbours the new password. As they have been using your WIFI to torrent videos and pr0n then it'll just be rather annoying to suddenly lose such a nice connection.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Mantisdreamz » Nov 02, 2010 5:44 am

haha :smile:
Mantisdreamz

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Denny » Nov 02, 2010 4:31 pm

Wtf happened to my internet!!!!

Guffin... Where do you live in America? :rage:
The world is in exigent need of education.
Denny

Name: Denny
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 02, 2010 5:02 pm

When you get to that configuration page, another useful thing to do is not advertise the SSID. That means, if a wireless client does not know your network name, exactly, they won't be able to see it to join it.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby babel » Nov 02, 2010 5:17 pm

It would be handy to connect directly to the router, because setting a password for a wireless through a wireless connection can be a pain in the old arse. (you'll lose the connection the moment you set your password and I have had a few times the reconnection didn't work as it was supposed to)
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#13  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 02, 2010 6:21 pm

babel wrote:It would be handy to connect directly to the router, because setting a password for a wireless through a wireless connection can be a pain in the old arse. (you'll lose the connection the moment you set your password and I have had a few times the reconnection didn't work as it was supposed to)

I do that sort of dumbassery on my networks from time to time. Set a VLAN egress tagging wrong, change an IP address, etc. You push that "enter" key and that's the last thing you see in your terminal session. Grab the laptop and go for a walk to terminal in locally...
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Animavore » Nov 02, 2010 6:48 pm

You don't think a password is going to stop those who have the will, do you?

:evilgrin:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Fedaykin » Nov 02, 2010 9:05 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
babel wrote:It would be handy to connect directly to the router, because setting a password for a wireless through a wireless connection can be a pain in the old arse. (you'll lose the connection the moment you set your password and I have had a few times the reconnection didn't work as it was supposed to)

I do that sort of dumbassery on my networks from time to time. Set a VLAN egress tagging wrong, change an IP address, etc. You push that "enter" key and that's the last thing you see in your terminal session. Grab the laptop and go for a walk to terminal in locally...

Lol, I've been there before. I do private ISP and nothing's worse than having to drive an hour to one of your properties after that screw up. Especially when you use older 3COM equipment and you forget to bring a null console cable with you. Then it's crimping time!
Fedaykin

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Fedaykin » Nov 02, 2010 9:07 pm

Animavore wrote:You don't think a password is going to stop those who have the will, do you?

Actually, throw up a WPA2-PSK and it'll take months of packet sniffing to grab that key. Especially if there is only one or two users connected to the AP at any given time.

edit: spelling
Fedaykin

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby klazmon » Nov 02, 2010 9:54 pm

Fedaykin wrote:
Animavore wrote:You don't think a password is going to stop those who have the will, do you?

Actually, throw up a WPA2-PSK and it'll take months of packet sniffing to grab that key. Especially if there is only one or two users connected to the AP at any given time.

The trick with WPA2 is to make sure you use a strong secret. Setting the PSK to Tiddles or Fluffy is probably not a good scheme. On the other hand, don't use WEP encryption at all because it can be cracked in seconds using the aircrack program.
klazmon

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Animavore » Nov 02, 2010 9:55 pm

Fedaykin wrote:

:evilgrin: I beg to differ.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19  Postby klazmon » Nov 02, 2010 10:05 pm

Animavore wrote:
Fedaykin wrote:

:evilgrin: I beg to differ.

Like any password based system, it is vulnerable to dictionary attack and supposedly there is a flaw in the TKIP algorithm which could be exploited but most people use AES anyway.
klazmon

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Sityl » Nov 02, 2010 10:06 pm

So WPA2 = good
WEP = bad?

I recently noticed that the wireless connection is better in my driveway than in my living room, so I'm thinking a password would be a good idea for myself, as well. :ask:
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Science & Technology