iPhone, or what?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: iPhone, or what?

#41  Postby Xeno » Mar 02, 2010 10:23 pm

Made of Stars wrote:So, I'm looking at getting one of these. Should I go with the hype, or is there another machine that just as good (or better) and that doesn't carry the premium?

So, have you made a decision, MoS? If so, we can just ramble on about other stuff :grin:. I feel another iPad discussion coming on :drunk:
sinisterly annoying theists
Xeno

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Mojzu » Mar 02, 2010 10:26 pm

Xeno wrote:
So, have you made a decision, MoS? If so, we can just ramble on about other stuff :grin:. I feel another iPad discussion coming on :drunk:

It's a giant ass iPhone, but it does less, costs more and you can't carry it around in your pocket.

That sums up my views of the iPad :grin:

And a load of people are saying it will 'save' the newspaper industry, seriously who is going to subscribe to an app when they have a web browser and about 10,000 other sources of free news?
"You're offended? So fucking what!" - Stephen Fry
Mojzu

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#43  Postby aspire1670 » Mar 03, 2010 7:51 pm

Mojzu wrote:
Xeno wrote:

It's a giant ass iPhone, but it does less, costs more and you can't carry it around in your pocket.

That sums up my views of the iPad :grin:

And a load of people are saying it will 'save' the newspaper industry, seriously who is going to subscribe to an app when they have a web browser and about 10,000 other sources of free news?

Me, because there's NEWS and there's news. I subscribe to The Guardian app for a one off price of £2.99. Weekly cost of The Guardian almost £7.00. Plus the app gives extras: audio debates and reviews (I've just finished listening to the Jewish Book Week special); the ability to save articles; search articles; display articles according to topic; copy paste articles; read music reviews and Listen to music; read offline.
psikeyhackr wrote: Physics is not rhetorical pseudo-logic crap.

I removed this signature at the request of another member.
aspire1670

Male

Print view this post

#44  Postby Mojzu » Mar 03, 2010 7:55 pm

aspire1670 wrote:

Me, because there's NEWS and there's news. I subscribe to The Guardian app for a one off price of £2.99. Weekly cost of The Guardian almost £7.00. Plus the app gives extras: audio debates and reviews (I've just finished listening to the Jewish Book Week special); the ability to save articles; search articles; display articles according to topic; copy paste articles; read music reviews and Listen to music; read offline.

But the Guardian has provided you with extra content, ease of use, a reason to subscribe. Would you be so willing if they just put all their news content behind a paywall? I certainly wouldn't, and I read the Guardian.co.uk regularly.
"You're offended? So fucking what!" - Stephen Fry
Mojzu

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Oliver » Mar 03, 2010 10:35 pm

iPhones are definitely a safe option to go for. I was looking at the HTC HD2 personally, and it looks slick on paper. The software's apparently bollocks (it runs Windows Mobile 6.5), which is a real shame. I have decided to just wait for now. If they brought out the HTC HD2 with a better OS then I'd get that. If they brought out a decent iPhone contract then I'd consider that.
Oliver

Print view this post

#46  Postby Agrippina » Mar 04, 2010 5:36 am

I turn on the telly and watch SKy or CNN for a couple of hours to get my daily news fix. I'm too old to care about more than that, so an IPad wouldn't be for news. I want it because of having music, books and photos all in one place that I can carry around in my hand luggage without having to carry a handbag and a whole lot of other gadgets as well. A camera on the iPad would be nice, then Skype would work, and I wouldn't need a phone. Hmm!
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#47  Postby aspire1670 » Mar 04, 2010 7:04 am

Mojzu wrote:
aspire1670 wrote:

But the Guardian has provided you with extra content, ease of use, a reason to subscribe. Would you be so willing if they just put all their news content behind a paywall? I certainly wouldn't, and I read the Guardian.co.uk regularly.

:eh:

Well there you go then. You pays yer money and yer makes yer choice.
psikeyhackr wrote: Physics is not rhetorical pseudo-logic crap.

I removed this signature at the request of another member.
aspire1670

Male

Print view this post

#48  Postby Agrippina » Mar 04, 2010 7:09 am

My husband gets a paper every day, for me it's more about doing the crosswords than reading the news, after a couple of hours of Eamonn and Co, I've had enough for the day, then at night I watch the local news for a half hour.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 04, 2010 1:28 pm

Xeno wrote:
Made of Stars wrote:So, I'm looking at getting one of these. Should I go with the hype, or is there another machine that just as good (or better) and that doesn't carry the premium?

I'd like one but need to sort out the corporate email thing (email, meetings etc). I'm meeting with a colleague next week who's got it sorted out. Have got an iPod Touch, but it would be great to have the phone functionality all in one...
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#50  Postby rJD » Mar 05, 2010 3:07 pm

Well, I've bitten the bullet and decided to buy the i-phone 16gb 3gs (hopefully) today.

Apart from the Grauniad, which I was going to go for anyway, and "Stanza" which sounds worthwhile, any other recommendations for apps worth getting. I keep seeing adverts that offer me crap I'd never want, like Tesco shopping or "customise your Nikes".

Oh, hello, by the way.
I was "jd" in RDF, and am still in Rationalia.com

"Wooberish" - a neologism for woo expressed in gibberish, spread the "meme".

rJD
RS Donator

Name: John
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Aca » Mar 05, 2010 3:24 pm

i am considering getting nokia n900.

anyone had any experience with it?
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Xeno » Mar 05, 2010 11:28 pm

rJD wrote:Well, I've bitten the bullet and decided to buy the i-phone 16gb 3gs (hopefully) today.

Apart from the Grauniad, which I was going to go for anyway, and "Stanza" which sounds worthwhile, any other recommendations for apps worth getting. I keep seeing adverts that offer me crap I'd never want, like Tesco shopping or "customise your Nikes".

Oh, hello, by the way.

What do you want to do? Trawling the top free and paid apps in the store is a good way of discovering things although there is much else that is good but buried deeper.

and hello :)
Xeno

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#53  Postby rJD » Mar 06, 2010 8:43 am

Xeno wrote:What do you want to do? Trawling the top free and paid apps in the store is a good way of discovering things although there is much else that is good but buried deeper

That's a really good question - I wanted the ability to check the web & email, & I want to be able to make basic notes & spreadsheets (of a very limited nature) but I've got intrigued by the app store & I'm curious as to what goodies might be buried out of plain view.

I suppose I'm looking to see what it can do.

rJD
RS Donator

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 06, 2010 12:34 pm

Gidday rJD. Please go and say hi in New Members - others will be happy to see that you made it here too. :cheers:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Apollonius » Mar 06, 2010 12:39 pm

I went through many full featured cel phones and they were all crap. I got an iphone in Oct 2007 and still have it. It's awesome.
Healing the sick, casting out demons, and raising the dead since the first century...
Apollonius

Male

Print view this post

#56  Postby Xeno » Mar 06, 2010 11:10 pm

rJD wrote:... I wanted the ability to check the web & email, & I want to be able to make basic notes & spreadsheets (of a very limited nature) but I've got intrigued by the app store & I'm curious as to what goodies might be buried out of plain view.

I suppose I'm looking to see what it can do.

For ideas, here is an incomplete list of apps or categories I have:
News & finance, options, probability, weather
TV programs, music, remote control, book reader
Browsing, wikipedia, maps, navigation, restaurants, ATMs, GPS (you can get one for toilets in Oz, too!)
To do, shopping, mail, double-entry accounting, expenses, timesheets, timers
Astronomy, moon phase, tides, sun, Google Earth
Games & sports access
Calculators including financial (I prefer RPN), conversions
Measure length, angle, sound, wind speed
Skype and VOIP phones
Terminal for SSH access to hosts
Notes, mind-mapping, sketching and visualisation
First aid, dictionary, knots, flashlight, crossword and scrabble solvers, translators

Some of these are now little used since retirement and there are some I have never used, more that are rarely used, and should delete soon. There are about twenty of eighty that I use frequently and half a dozen or so every day.

These are mostly drawn from the App Store categories Business, Finance, Productivity, Navigation, Utilities, Weather. There are thirteen more categories I rarely or never touch.

I read recently, though, that Apple have taken down BoobsFree, so that may be a show-stopper for some. :grin:
Xeno

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#57  Postby rJD » Mar 08, 2010 5:24 pm

Xeno, thanks for the suggestions - I've already added a first aid app (I'm a first aider at work) and a dictionary to my apps.

I have the Guardian and BBC news sites, Quick Office, Wikipedia, WordMaster crossword helper, thetrainline, google, facebook (signed up but never used on the desktop), IMDb, thetrainline, Cinema listings, a couple of Astronomy sites, Sky Sports football update, Amazon and Epicurious. This is in addition to the pre-loaded things like weather, compass, youtube etc.

I'll calm down soon enough (when I run out of memory, I suppose) :think: :shifty:

rJD
RS Donator

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Xeno » Mar 09, 2010 12:06 am

The weather app on the phone uses NOAA data, not local. You will do better to look for one which sources data from the British Meteorological office. In this country, Oz Weather and Pkt Weather both do the trick very well.
Xeno

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Dalmat » Mar 09, 2010 9:57 am

If the reviews I read are to be trusted, there are many better and cheaper options out there. I just read a review on Google Nexus One and they say it's much better. It costs half of what you would pay for an iPhone (in my country, 'cause iPhone here is ridiculously pricey). But, I dont have either, so I can't really say I agree.
Excuse my ignorance, I wasn't on RD.net.
Dalmat

Male

Croatia (hr)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Xeno » Mar 09, 2010 10:21 am

Dalmat wrote:If the reviews I read are to be trusted, there are many better and cheaper options out there. I just read a review on Google Nexus One and they say it's much better. It costs half of what you would pay for an iPhone (in my country, 'cause iPhone here is ridiculously pricey). But, I dont have either, so I can't really say I agree.

I quoted a view from someone who has both, by qualification and role an expert in software and interfaces. Your criteria may not be the same as theirs. :)
Xeno

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology