Russia aims to develop 'teleportation' in 20 years

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Russia aims to develop 'teleportation' in 20 years

#1  Postby the_5th_ape » Jun 23, 2016 4:39 pm

It’s a question that physicists, philosophers, and science fiction writers have pondered for decades: how to travel from one place to another without travelling through the space in between.

Now a Kremlin-backed research program is seeking to make the teleportation technology behind Captain Kirk’s transporter a reality.

A proposed multi-trillion pound strategic development program drawn up for Vladimir Putin would seek to develop teleportation by 2035.

"It sounds fantastical today, but there have been successful experiments at Stanford at the molecular level," Alexander Galitsky, a prominent investor in the country's technology sector, told Russia's Kommersant daily on Wednesday. "Much of the tech we have today was drawn from science fiction films 20 years ago."

Continued
Thanking God for sparing you in a natural disaster is like
sending a thank-you note to a serial killer for stabbing the family next door

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why? Best Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

Re: Russia aims to develop 'teleportation' in 20 years

#2  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jun 23, 2016 6:20 pm

I would easily put everything I have on this goal not being met, if it is even practically possible. They may get some good science out of trying though. Not sure it will be worth the multi-trillion pound expense though.

Even on the wispy thin chance they pull a miracle out of their ass, no sane person would ever use it. It is literally creating a copy of you and destroying the original. I like my original.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tuco » Jun 23, 2016 6:30 pm

We've had some debate about it here:

Teleportation, Consciousness & Immortality - http://www.rationalskepticism.org/philo ... t4249.html

Liking "original" is philosophical question. 2035? I go first! :)
tuco

Print view this post

#4  Postby TopCat » Jun 23, 2016 10:23 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:It is literally creating a copy of you and destroying the original. I like my original.

If it worked and the copy is faithful, how is that different from being the original and moving instantaneously from A to B?

It's rational to doubt that it will work. It's not rational to dislike the notion of the copy and delete unless the copy has some conscious existence before the original is deleted.

After all, that's exactly what happens when you 'move' a file from one HDD to another.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby NineBerry » Jun 24, 2016 11:52 am

Well, I aim to go to bed early nearly every day. Never works.
Last edited by NineBerry on Jun 24, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby crank » Jun 24, 2016 12:09 pm

Surely he's putin us on.

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#7  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jun 24, 2016 7:46 pm

TopCat wrote:
CdesignProponentsist wrote:It is literally creating a copy of you and destroying the original. I like my original.

If it worked and the copy is faithful, how is that different from being the original and moving instantaneously from A to B?

I don't know, do you want to find out?

It's rational to doubt that it will work. It's not rational to dislike the notion of the copy and delete unless the copy has some conscious existence before the original is deleted.

After all, that's exactly what happens when you 'move' a file from one HDD to another.

I don't dislike the notion of a copy. I dislike the notion of being vaporized.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby twistor59 » Jun 24, 2016 8:07 pm

A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby igorfrankensteen » Jun 26, 2016 3:14 am

My first thought upon reading the thread title was, to wonder what they would be doing during the twenty years before they up and invented teleportation. No doubt a reflection of the local use of the phrase "in x years" which I grew up with.

As for teleportation itself, the more intriguing part of it for me, is that if it were successful, it would have serious impact on the flap over whether consciousness is or is not a direct result of the physical arrangement of the exact quanta where it currently appears to reside.

That, and how property law would be affected by the destruction of the original, as the remote copy was produced.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Weaver » Jun 26, 2016 3:36 am

Meh - big fucking deal. I used to teleport all the time when I was younger.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I seem to have lost the knack of it, but I used to be able to teleport in my sleep - I could go to sleep on the couch or on the floor then wake up in my bed. It was really amazing - wish I could remember how I did it.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jun 26, 2016 5:28 am

Weaver wrote:Meh - big fucking deal. I used to teleport all the time when I was younger.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I seem to have lost the knack of it, but I used to be able to teleport in my sleep - I could go to sleep on the couch or on the floor then wake up in my bed. It was really amazing - wish I could remember how I did it.

I could do it when I was in my late teens. It seemed to have always involved alcohol, permanent ink markers and trusted friends.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 26, 2016 5:49 am

CdesignProponentsist wrote:
TopCat wrote:

I don't know, do you want to find out?

I don't dislike the notion of a copy. I dislike the notion of being vaporized.

Ayup. Who knows if your current experience would survive the transport, there'd be no way to tell.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jun 26, 2016 5:52 am

There is one way to tell.

1: Make the copy but keep the original.
2: Stomp on the toe of the copy.
3: If the original doesn't scream, don't destroy it.

Everything I know about physics tells me that the original is completely oblivious to the consciousness of the copy. Death for the original is true death. The copy is merely a copy with it's own consciousness and with only an illusion of having a past.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby igorfrankensteen » Jun 26, 2016 5:23 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:There is one way to tell.

Everything I know about physics tells me that the original is completely oblivious to the consciousness of the copy. Death for the original is true death. The copy is merely a copy with it's own consciousness and with only an illusion of having a past.

Well, yeah, but then the ORIGINAL is just an entity with an illusion of having a past, too.

And as for your toe stomping test? That would, I believe, require a quantum-entangled foot. And that isn't part of the described parameters.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 26, 2016 5:39 pm

This is what I suspect as well, though I don't think making a copy really shows anything. If our experience is our continuous physical existence, why couldn't the reforming of the exact same material not continue that experience? There is of course nothing inherently different about the material that makes us, but what if you were able take our bodies and make all perception and experience stop for just a moment, then bring it back. Would that be the same kind of death?

It makes me think that our continuous experience is an illusion, that we are experiencing "true death" all the time but are completely unaware of it.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jun 28, 2016 1:55 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:

This is what I suspect as well, though I don't think making a copy really shows anything. If our experience is our continuous physical existence, why couldn't the reforming of the exact same material not continue that experience? There is of course nothing inherently different about the material that makes us, but what if you were able take our bodies and make all perception and experience stop for just a moment, then bring it back. Would that be the same kind of death?

It makes me think that our continuous experience is an illusion, that we are experiencing "true death" all the time but are completely unaware of it.

I believe the same about the illusion of self permanence, but again, not ready to test it or its limits. I'll walk thank you.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jun 28, 2016 2:10 am

igorfrankensteen wrote:

Well, yeah, but then the ORIGINAL is just an entity with an illusion of having a past, too.

And as for your toe stomping test? That would, I believe, require a quantum-entangled foot. And that isn't part of the described parameters.

My point being...

1: Before teleportation, answer the question "Are you ready for teleportation?"
or
2: Teleport and delay the destruction of your original for 1 minute, then as the original answer the question "Are you ready for deconstruction".

The answer to both questions should be the same, because the outcome is the same, other than your original has time to contemplate their decision for a minute longer.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jul 01, 2016 7:50 pm

Sending copies has been discussed in "Farthest Star" by Frederik Pohl and Jack Williamson in 1975
They do away with the destruction of the original by using it only long distance**.

**edit: long as in interstellar
Last edited by Agi Hammerthief on Jul 02, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#19  Postby jaydot » Jul 01, 2016 11:32 pm

what a wonderful way to waste a lot of money. like time travel, teleportation is a lovely notion and that is all it is.
jaydot

Print view this post

#20  Postby NineBerry » Jul 02, 2016 10:00 am

jaydot wrote:what a wonderful way to waste a lot of money. like time travel, teleportation is a lovely notion and that is all it is.

But that's what people said about flying 200 years ago.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to General Science & Technology