#TeamTrees

20m Tree Goal

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

#TeamTrees

#1  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 26, 2019 2:23 am

https://teamtrees.org/

How did #TeamTrees get started?

#TeamTrees started in May 2019 when the internet challenged Mr. Beast to plant 20 million trees to commemorate hitting the 20M subscriber milestone. Fans then suggested he band together with a bunch of other YouTubers and influencers to make it happen. A growing group of them have been working hard for the past five months to set up the framework for this insane goal to have a fighting chance of success.

What does my donation actually go towards?

For every dollar you donate, one tree will be planted in a forest of high need around the globe. It's that simple!
Where are the trees being planted?

Where are the trees being planted?

Due to the sheer volume of trees planted (20 million), they will be planted in a variety of forests on public and private lands in areas of great need. Many of these forests will be state and national forests managed by government agencies. The goal is to plant trees on every continent not named Antarctica! Click here to see a list of the Arbor Day Foundation’s previous work around the globe.

I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Re: #TeamTrees

#2  Postby felltoearth » Oct 26, 2019 2:46 am

Would be a good Christmas present
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby The_Piper » Oct 26, 2019 12:37 pm

The guy on the left is the living embodiment of the :awesome: emoticon. :lol: :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 02, 2019 6:52 pm

Got 20 of the little green fuckers.

Anyone else into buying some robo-planted trees?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby felltoearth » Nov 03, 2019 2:16 pm

This is the important part for me.

While I’m not convinced tree planting will solve the climate change problem (and they really aren’t claiming it will) $100 will go a long way at Christmas as a donation for my family. It will also lead to some interesting discussion at the table #trollvalue.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 03, 2019 2:21 pm

Definitely not going to solve any single issue, but is going to contribute a little bit to many issues.

I also like to imagine it might spur other groups to beat the total, then we have all these national and international groups competing to replant trees and contribute to the environment.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby felltoearth » Nov 03, 2019 2:32 pm

That’s my hope as well.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby felltoearth » Nov 03, 2019 2:36 pm

I also do this for a living. My latest project is readying to plant 75 trees where 10 trees of questionable ecological value were taken down and 25 of ecological value were transplanted. We’re also turning about 3000 sq m of mowed lawn into savanna meadow.

I love my job!
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Hermit » Nov 04, 2019 3:30 am

Spearthrower wrote:https://teamtrees.org/

...the internet challenged Mr. Beast to plant 20 million trees...

Kudos to Mr. Beast, but to my pedantic mind "Using Drones to Plant 20,000,000 Trees" Is an unacceptably inaccurate title to give the project. From what I can see, not a single tree is planted. Seeds are not trees. With luck some of those seeds will become trees.

So the project involves spearing 20 million seeds into the ground, hoping that the accompanying mix of fertilisers improve their chances of surviving paste the state of germination and saplinghood. I'll be surprised if as many as one in ten will make it through their first two years.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby The_Piper » Nov 04, 2019 4:24 am

It depends on where they're put, down to the square meter. Those pucks are great, I'd think. It looks like they get enough rain where they are in the vid. Plus they planted 250 trees in that field in the beginning.

Y'all know who else plants a lot of trees? Image
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 04, 2019 5:44 am

Hermit wrote:Seeds are not trees. With luck some of those seeds will become trees.

Not 'with luck'. Tree seeds will become grown trees given the right conditions.

Hermit wrote:So the project involves spearing 20 million seeds into the ground, hoping that the accompanying mix of fertilisers improve their chances of surviving paste the state of germination and saplinghood. I'll be surprised if as many as one in ten will make it through their first two years.

The project does not involve spearing 20 million seeds into the ground.

Your number of 1/10 appears to be snatched out of thin air... I'd be surprised if more than 20% failed: most trees are hardy bastards.

Are you sure you're really this cynical, or are you just trying too hard?

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby minininja » Nov 05, 2019 12:28 pm

Hermit wrote:
Kudos to Mr. Beast, but to my pedantic mind "Using Drones to Plant 20,000,000 Trees" Is an unacceptably inaccurate title to give the project.

It's something I've seen several prominent youtubers have made videos on over the last year or so that, due to changes in youtube's recommendation algorithms, clickbait titles and thumbnails are necessary to reach wider audiences. So yeah, the title is misleading, but by partnering with the Arbor Day Foundation instead of using the drones, they will get millions of actual trees planted.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby aufbahrung » Nov 06, 2019 8:31 am

It's gonna be monoculture. The right trees for the right envirenment he says. In other words monoculture for the furniture industry. Elon Musk doesn't given a squit about trees, none of those on Mars or at the end of flamethrowers, but he does think about making a few dollars more. And who is the biggest donor?
“Ne vous mêlez pas du pain”
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 06, 2019 12:19 pm

aufbahrung wrote:It's gonna be monoculture. The right trees for the right envirenment he says. In other words monoculture for the furniture industry. Elon Musk doesn't given a squit about trees, none of those on Mars or at the end of flamethrowers, but he does think about making a few dollars more. And who is the biggest donor?

So in other words, you just rambled a load of nonsense that is entirely irrelevant and completely unresearched.

Good job.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#TeamTrees

#15  Postby felltoearth » Nov 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Triggered by Elon Musk. Aufbahrung can’t see the forest for the trees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 10, 2019 11:58 pm

3 million out of 20 million. Long way to go!

Oh wait, no my mistake. That's 3 million just on YT; but 11 million from elsewhere for a total of 14.6 million and a few spare saplings so far.

Not so far to go at all with 51 days left! :cheers:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Return to General Science & Technology