The Diamond Age

a new form of carbon ....at room temperature

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The Diamond Age

#1  Postby Macdoc » Dec 01, 2015 3:38 pm

with a nod to the excellent sci-fi book of the same name by Neal Stephenson.

Researchers find new phase of carbon, make diamond at room temperature
November 30, 2015 by Matt Shipman

Researchers from North Carolina State University have discovered a new phase of solid carbon, called Q-carbon, which is distinct from the known phases of graphite and diamond. They have also developed a technique for using Q-carbon to make diamond-related structures at room temperature and at ambient atmospheric pressure in air.
Phases are distinct forms of the same material. Graphite is one of the solid phases of carbon; diamond is another.
"We've now created a third solid phase of carbon," says Jay Narayan, the John C. Fan Distinguished Chair Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at NC State and lead author of three papers describing the work. "The only place it may be found in the natural world would be possibly in the core of some planets."
Q-carbon has some unusual characteristics. For one thing, it is ferromagnetic – which other solid forms of carbon are not.
"We didn't even think that was possible," Narayan says.
In addition, Q-carbon is harder than diamond, and glows when exposed to even low levels of energy.
"Q-carbon's strength and low work-function – its willingness to release electrons – make it very promising for developing new electronic display technologies," Narayan says.

http://phys.org/news/2015-11-phase-carb ... ature.html

ferro-magnetic and harder than our normal diamond phase plus room temperature formation .....wow.

Sounds like a recipe for additive 3d printing as well as many many uses in electronics and displays.....
Glows in the dark too.....brilliant bit of physical science sleuthing this out
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: The Diamond Age

#2  Postby Onyx8 » Dec 01, 2015 5:34 pm

Cool.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm

What the hell is the deal with people who comment on shit?!? I mean, the tech is cool, and the potential applications are awesome, but the comments on the article make me want to go full jackboot-euthanasia-squad.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby campermon » Dec 01, 2015 8:05 pm

Does is sparkle and look all pretty like?
:ask:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Ironclad » Dec 01, 2015 9:03 pm

campermon wrote:Does is sparkle and look all pretty like?
:ask:

Think is do it, yes.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Macdoc » Dec 01, 2015 9:09 pm

Refractive index will be diamond - might take a while to get enough mass tho.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby laklak » Dec 01, 2015 9:13 pm

Never go full jackboot euthanasia squad.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#8  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Dec 01, 2015 9:20 pm

laklak wrote:Image

When I stop posting, you can assume the worst. I doubt they'd let me post to a forum from prison if I ever actually went full jackboot-euthanasia-squad. As a precautionary measure, I usually try to keep reading of comments on science articles to a minimum. It's not good for my heart, you see, for my mood to soar as the human capacity for discovery is highlighted, and then for it to crash as the human capacity for ignorance is highlighted in turn.

:waah:
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby campermon » Dec 01, 2015 9:20 pm

laklak wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 01, 2015 10:22 pm

Meanwhile, the scientific paper is a free download for a limited period. Get your copy now!

Direct Conversion Of Amorphous Carbon Into Diamond At Ambient Pressures And Temperatures In Air by Jagdish Narayan & Anagh Bhaumik, APL Materials, 3: 100702 (2015) DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4932622

Narayan & Bhaumik, 2015 wrote:Abstract

We report on fundamental discovery of conversion of amorphous carbon into diamond by irradiating amorphous carbon films with nanosecond lasers at room-temperature in air at atmospheric pressure. We can create diamond in the form of nanodiamond (size range <100 nm) and microdiamond (>100 nm). Nanosecond laser pulses are used to melt amorphous diamondlike carbon and create a highly undercooled state, from which various forms of diamond can be formed upon cooling. The quenching from the super undercooled state results in nucleation of nanodiamond. It is found that microdiamonds grow out of highly undercooled state of carbon, with nanodiamond acting as seed crystals.

Enjoy.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Macdoc » Dec 02, 2015 1:54 am

It is really cool science and shows a very deep understanding of materials and energy. Methinks this was not serendipity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to General Science & Technology