American Revolutionary War

Discussion and analysis of past events and their causes and effects.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

American Revolutionary War

#1  Postby mattthomas » Apr 05, 2012 9:14 am

I've just got into studying the American Revolution, from the onset of taxation on the colonies, the stamp tax, the intolerable acts, the Boston massacre. It's an intensely interesting topic and there's so much to take in, from so many points of view, the colonials, the royalists, the British government, the French, the slaves...

Does anyone have any sources they can recommend?, I'm currently following the timeline on wikipedia, and each event.
mattthomas

Print view this post

Re: American Revolutionary War

#2  Postby jamest » Apr 05, 2012 10:01 am

Someone started a thread on the American Revolution a couple of years ago, here:

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/histo ... t6547.html

Unfortunately, it didn't amount to anything, possibly because of the controversial link/view upon which it was based:

http://www.redcoat.me.uk/

It's certainly an interesting read, and might help you to put things into perspective.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby mattthomas » Apr 05, 2012 10:15 am

Yes, I'm going to have a read of that... I'm downloading a complete history channel series on the revolution which I intend to get through over my next 6 days off work (It's 9 hours long)
mattthomas

Print view this post

#4  Postby jamest » Apr 06, 2012 1:39 am

One would expect/hope that a forum with so many US members would induce a greater quantity of response. I don't understand. The same thing happened previously. :dunno:
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby laklak » Apr 06, 2012 2:15 am

I've never done a lot of reading about the Revolutionary War, but if you ever get into the Civil War I can point you to some excellent source material.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 07, 2012 1:42 pm

Try looking for General US/UK history books. That's what I did when I was researching the Mexican-American war (although, obviously, it was Mexico rather than UK), should give you a good idea of what went on and the bibliographies will be able to point you in other directions.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby igorfrankensteen » Apr 08, 2012 2:04 am

I suspect that what limits responses, is the fact that this is such a huge subject, that any single reference recommendation would likely be unintentionally misleading.

As an Historian myself, I have found that almost any reference on a given subject area, will give me insights I didn't get from some other one.

Can you be more specific about what you want to know?
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 08, 2012 2:48 am

Matt, have you seen the HBO mini series John Adams? If you haven't it's a must see for anyone interested in this era of American history. It doesn't actually focus on the war that much as it closely follows Adams (played by Paul Giamatti) from his defence as the lawyer of the Redcoats after the Boston Massacre to his death. As the war was raging he was in Philadelphia playing a key role in the writing of the Declaration of Independence.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9  Postby GT2211 » Apr 08, 2012 4:15 am

igorfrankensteen wrote:I suspect that what limits responses, is the fact that this is such a huge subject, that any single reference recommendation would likely be unintentionally misleading.

As an Historian myself, I have found that almost any reference on a given subject area, will give me insights I didn't get from some other one.

Can you be more specific about what you want to know?
I would second this. I know PBS had a series on it called 'Liberty!' a while back, I haven't had the chance to watch this series but usually they are pretty good.
http://www.pbs.org/ktca/liberty/liberty.html
gt2211: Making Ratskep Great Again!
GT2211

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to History