Writing an essay on the US Electoral College

Would appreciate input via questionaire/general opinion

Discussion and analysis of past events and their causes and effects.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Writing an essay on the US Electoral College

#201  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 13, 2014 8:43 am

You mean you've abolished the pledge of allegiance?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#202  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 13, 2014 9:05 am

I never pledged anything.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#203  Postby Nicko » Nov 13, 2014 3:02 pm

I think Thomas was talking to Jerome.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#204  Postby Nicko » Nov 13, 2014 3:12 pm

OlivierK wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Jerome Da Gnome wrote:We are not going to get on the same page here. No worries.

As I said from the first, let me know when the people with their direct vote voted to give the 1% (monarch) a free ride.

One thing that might not be clear to you is that I, and many of the people posting in this thread who are living under a constitutional monarchy, are actually republicans. I'm certainly not arguing that a hereditary monarchy is a democratic system, but if you look at the role of the monarch, it is apolitical. Even here in Thailand where the monarch is revered almost as a deity, the King cannot involve himself in politics. He's a figurehead, a ceremonial tool used to lend traditional gravitas to occasions.

Yep. I'm a republican, too, but that's no bar to knowing how constitutional monarchies work.

In Australia, we last confirmed our status as a constitutional monarchy in a 1999 referendum. I voted for the minimalist move to a republic put forward (president to have current powers of Governer General and be appointed by 2/3 majority of parliament, rather than just PM as at present) but the vote went down on the strength of No votes from pro-republicans favouring popular presidential election.

And again; republican.

In Australia, republicanism is mostly a symbolic thing rather than a practical concern with the realities of liberty. Arguments for an Australian republic generally run: "There won't really be any change in the mechanics of governance, it's just that there will be an Australian citizen as head of state rather than the Queen."

There's also, of course, the humiliating prospect of Australia hanging onto the British Royal Family longer than the UK does. That would be pretty embarrassing. Still a symbolic concern though.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#205  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 13, 2014 6:19 pm

Nicko wrote:I think Thomas was talking to Jerome.

:nod:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#206  Postby Steve » Nov 13, 2014 9:46 pm

I am reading a Michigan Republican has proposed that Michigan's electoral votes be split proportionately based on how many congressional districts they won. The example I saw cited Ohio in 2012 where Obama won all 18 electoral votes as he got 50.67% votes in the state as a whole. However he only won a majority in 4 of the 16 congressional districts, so under this Republican plan he would have got 6 electoral votes and Mitt Romney would have won 12.

The Republicans are not done with their gerrymandering by a long shot.
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#207  Postby scott1328 » Nov 13, 2014 11:05 pm

Steve wrote:I am reading a Michigan Republican has proposed that Michigan's electoral votes be split proportionately based on how many congressional districts they won. The example I saw cited Ohio in 2012 where Obama won all 18 electoral votes as he got 50.67% votes in the state as a whole. However he only won a majority in 4 of the 16 congressional districts, so under this Republican plan he would have got 6 electoral votes and Mitt Romney would have won 12.

The Republicans are not done with their gerrymandering by a long shot.

After Clinton won in 1992, Nebraska changed its method of assigning electors from winner take all method, to a split vote method. Where the candidate who has the highest popular vote within each congressional district is awarded that district's elector. The candidate that has the highest popular vote then win's the remaining two electors.

In the five presidential elections since then, the electoral vote has split only once: In 2008, Obama won 1 elector from the second congressional district (which is the two counties the comprise the Omaha Metropolitan area)
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#208  Postby THWOTH » Nov 16, 2014 3:16 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Some off-topic posts have been removed.
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#209  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Nov 16, 2014 4:06 pm

[quote="THWOTH";p="2117570"][/quote]

Where did they go?
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

Name: Jerome

United States (us)
Print view this post

#210  Postby Nicko » Nov 16, 2014 9:20 pm

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
THWOTH wrote:

Where did they go?

NSA storage facility.