Arab Muslims-turned-atheists

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Arab Muslims-turned-atheists

#1  Postby HomerJay » Aug 04, 2013 10:30 am

Rafat Awad fervently preached Islam at his university, encouraging his fellow students to read the Quran and pray. But throughout, the young Palestinian-born pharmacist had gnawing doubts. The more he tried to resolve them, the more they grew.

Finally he told his parents, both devout Muslims, that he was an atheist. They brought home clerics to talk with him, trying in vain to bring him back to the faith. Finally, they gave up.

“It was the domino effect — you hit the first pin and it keeps on going and going,” Said Awad, 23, who grew up in the United Arab Emirates and lives there. “I thought: It doesn’t make sense anymore. I became a new person then.”

An openly self-described atheist is an extreme rarity in the Arab world, where the Muslim majority is on the whole deeply conservative. It’s socially tolerated to not be actively religious, to decide not to pray or carry out other acts of faith, or to have secular attitudes. But to outright declare oneself an atheist can lead to ostracism by family and friends, and if too public can draw retaliation from Islamist hard-liners or even authorities.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Arab Muslims-turned-atheists

#2  Postby Ironclad » Aug 04, 2013 10:48 am

Brave man. Knowing the area one would give him a week, I just hope those clerics the parents brought in have hopes he'll turn, maybe folk will leave him be.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Varangian » Aug 04, 2013 11:08 am

Considering how ingrained the Islam mind-virus is in Arabic culture and society, coming out as an atheist is a brave step indeed. It will take generations before it has lost its grip on people.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Oeditor » Aug 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Varangian wrote:Considering how ingrained the Islam mind-virus is in Arabic culture and society, coming out as an atheist is a brave step indeed. It will take generations before it has lost its grip on people.
True. All the more reason to keep chipping away in whatever way we can. The best of which is to make sure that all non-Muslims fully appreciate what the appalling personality cult is really like, before any more concessions are made to it.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby RealityRules » Aug 05, 2013 3:16 am

Many Arabs & Muslims are aware of the secular world outside Islam.

Many seek societies without theistic-dominated authoritarianism.
RealityRules

Name: GMak

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Return to Islam