Channel fined for Islamic scholar's 'duty to kill' speech

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Channel fined for Islamic scholar's 'duty to kill' speech

#1  Postby HomerJay » Jul 05, 2013 1:03 pm

Because making threats to kill is just an everyday part of Islam

A television channel has been hit with a large fine after broadcasting a speech by an Islamic scholar who said Muslims had "a duty to kill" anyone who insulted the prophet.

The watchdog Ofcom levied the fine, totalling £105,000, after it found DM Digital had twice breached the broadcasting code.

Ofcom's report cited a programme called Rehmatul Lil Alameen which was broadcast on October 9 2011, and which featured a live lecture which it said was "likely to encourage or incite the commission of crime or to lead to disorder".

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-07- ... ll-speech/
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Channel fined for Islamic scholar's 'duty to kill' speech

#2  Postby Animavore » Jul 05, 2013 1:07 pm

Which channel?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby CarlPierce » Jul 05, 2013 1:12 pm

Because making threats to kill is just an everyday part of Islam

Absolutely the threats are completely peaceful and are meant simply to show how much they love their religion. It is of course a bit 'unislamic' when one of the faithful misunderstands slightly and offs someone for an innocent remark over a free cup of coffee involving their prophet.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby CarlPierce » Jul 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Animavore wrote:Which channel?

The one thats in hiding at the moment.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Animavore » Jul 05, 2013 1:14 pm

:lol:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby BlackBart » Jul 05, 2013 1:14 pm

Animavore wrote:Which channel?

DM Digital - it's on Sky apparently
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Here's the giant goddamned elephant in the room:

Don't any of these jackass islamo-fascists (substitute christo-fascists, or any other theo-fascist) realize that this "duty to kill" of which they speak with such relish is a absolute certain sign of an indefensible worldview?

"Silence! I keel you!" Get it fuckers? It's a running joke.

You think your religion is the one? Invite criticism. Anything worthy of the name will withstand it.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby quisquose » Jul 05, 2013 2:04 pm

Not surprised at all, and I suspect this shit goes on all the time.

I often pause on one of the English speaking Islamic channels as I'm skipping through, and almost inevitably feel my blood pressure going up when I listen to some of the nasty garbage.

This time of year always sees the arrival of the wonderful Radio Ramadam. I never knew of its existence until about 6 years ago when my car radio found it by mistake. It was children's hour and the presenter invited some young children to read their favourite passages from the Quran, and without exception half a dozen young voices began to tell of what gruesome things will befall the unbelievers in Jahannam. Now I can imagine why kids might find these passages to be the most interesting, but when I was their age going to Bible classes I never even knew there was any dodgy bits in the Bible and the emphasis was always on the nice bits. I found what I was listening too to be quite upsetting, and couldn't understand why the adult presenters wouldn't intervene.
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby HomerJay » Jul 05, 2013 6:43 pm

Mr Jilani, who is based in Walthamstow, east London, said in the offending programme: “The matter of insulting the prophet does not fall in the category of terrorism.

“Those who cannot kill such men have no faith.

“It is your duty, the duty of those who recite the holy verse, to kill those who insult Prophet Mohammed.

“Under the guidance from Islamic texts it is evident that if a Muslim apostatises, then it is not right to wait for the authorised courts; anyone may kill him.

“An apostate deserves to be killed and any man may kill him.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... n-air.html

Terry Sanderson, President of the National Secular Society, said: "Inciting murder is against the law. Why aren't the police knocking on Mr Jilani's door? Why is he not under arrest? Surely he cannot be allowed to get away with such blatant call to kill innocent people? Other people have been sent to prison for far less than this."

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2013/ ... ite-murder
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Warren Dew » Jul 05, 2013 7:06 pm

quisquose wrote:Not surprised at all, and I suspect this shit goes on all the time.

I often pause on one of the English speaking Islamic channels as I'm skipping through, and almost inevitably feel my blood pressure going up when I listen to some of the nasty garbage.

This time of year always sees the arrival of the wonderful Radio Ramadam. I never knew of its existence until about 6 years ago when my car radio found it by mistake. It was children's hour and the presenter invited some young children to read their favourite passages from the Quran, and without exception half a dozen young voices began to tell of what gruesome things will befall the unbelievers in Jahannam. Now I can imagine why kids might find these passages to be the most interesting, but when I was their age going to Bible classes I never even knew there was any dodgy bits in the Bible and the emphasis was always on the nice bits. I found what I was listening too to be quite upsetting, and couldn't understand why the adult presenters wouldn't intervene.

I've seen some of the dodgy bits in the Koran but haven't found any of the nice bits yet. I'd be interested in links to some quotes from the nice bits.

Not much in the way of nice bits in the old testament, either, though only some of it is dodgy.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

UK preacher calls on TV for murders

#11  Postby Oeditor » Jul 06, 2013 12:08 pm

It's the law, you see but just tell it in Urdu and you'll be OK. The station was fined £85,000 for letting him say this live on air, but he seems to have got away without so much as a reproof.
Mr Jilani, who is based in Walthamstow, east London, said in the offending programme: “The matter of insulting the prophet does not fall in the category of terrorism.

“Those who cannot kill such men have no faith.

“It is your duty, the duty of those who recite the holy verse, to kill those who insult Prophet Mohammed.

“Under the guidance from Islamic texts it is evident that if a Muslim apostatises, then it is not right to wait for the authorised courts; anyone may kill him.

“An apostate deserves to be killed and any man may kill him.”
Tut, tut. Such misunderstanding of the Religion of Peace. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/10162099/Muslim-television-channel-fined-after-preacher-of-hate-incited-murder-live-on-air.html
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby HomerJay » Jul 06, 2013 12:36 pm

The other programme featured comments by Dr Liaqat Malik, DM Digital's chief executive, which breached Ofcom's views on political statements and impartiality, leading to a £20,000 penalty.

Earlier this year Dr Malik said that he was dissatisfied with Ofcom's ruling because there were cultural differences that Ofcom does not understand. He said that the regulator's adjudicating committee should have members picked from the Muslim community.

Mmm, threats to kill = 'cultural differences'.

I would have thought if they were judging how muslims treat non-muslims and apostates that would be a good reason for excluding muslims rather than the other way round.

He seems to be confirming that making threats to kill people whose beliefs you don't like is NFM.

Normal For Muslims.

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Oeditor » Jul 06, 2013 2:52 pm

It's difficult to find anything about this "Abdul Qadir Jilani" because he shares his name (pseudonym?) with a mediaeval Sufi. He does seem to have some tedious-looking books on Amazon and there's this pdf, claimng to include "text" which crashed my browser after about 20mins trying to download it: http://ia700404.us.archive.org/9/items/Zubdah-tu-Tahqiq/46247616-Zubdah-tu-Tahqiq_text.pdf
If he's a popular scholar, it would be instructive to have some copies/translations of his pronunciations on other matters. Just to see what's Normal For Islam.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby jim » Jul 06, 2013 3:08 pm

The pdf link worked for me, unfortunately Its all in foreign. it could be a rejected script for Eastenders for all I know.

This is spammed on every page though

http://www.yanabi.com/
Father Dougal:
Come on, Ted. Sure it's no more peculiar than all that stuff we learned in the seminary, you know, Heaven and Hell and everlasting life and all that type of thing. You're not meant to take it seriously, Ted!
jim

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Oeditor » Jul 06, 2013 5:12 pm

Here we go. I added Walthamstow to his name and used Zone Alarm search instead of Google. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheikh_Syed_Abdul_Qadir_Jilani, It has the same photograph as in the Telegraph, so it is he. As I gathered but couldn't confirm, he's considered a shit-hot interpreter of Islam. (Although Wikipedia regards the praise as subjective)
The Shaykh presently teaches in London and has established numerous teaching establishments across the world, including Dar-ul-Uloom Qadria Jilania in Walthamstow, London.[citation needed] The Shaykh is recognised globally[who?] as one of the great thinkers of Islam[neutrality is disputed] and has been bestowed with the honorific title "Muffakir al-Islam" in honour of this fact.
The Shaykh is recognised globally[who?] as one of the great thinkers of Islam[neutrality is disputed] and has been bestowed with the honorific title "Muffakir al-Islam" in honour of this fact.

The Shaykh regularly speaks on topical issues facing the Muslim world and has worked all his life to protect and preserve the true Islam[neutrality is disputed].
and although the article mentions the Ofcom ruling, it doesn't mention the offending statements. Still, somebody clearly loves him - probably quite a lot of people. Evidently some don't like him... but why? Well, at Great Sunni Speeches we have a claim that he's a splitter
excellent job brothers, da site is such a great resource 4 sunni media.. i totally suport ur decision to omit abdul qadir jilani's name from ur list (walthamstow peer), he is not genuine at all, he is a shia in disguise. keep up da great works, may allah grant u all great rewards ameen.
http://www.sunnispeeches.com/index.php?option=com_phocaguestbook&view=phocaguestbook&id=1&Itemid=98
There are more mixed opinions in this 8 page discussion - mostly again regarding splitting but including this interesting claim:
and yes i think he is the one on the cook report a many years ago. he was based up north in the 80s but got up to no good. i heard the govt tried deporting him at one point
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?7259-pir-shah-syed-abdul-qadir-jilani/page2&s=fd536ee9a1a634d977a2474668224696 After that, it gets quite fantastic:
Quote Originally Posted by Sunni Muslim View Post
Wa alaikum salam

That sure is him! I heard that his daughter had eloped with a non-Sayyid and he was alleged to have hired a hit man to bump this guy off! Subhanallah.

yes thats true. he had the person killed

At which point, other duties call. I wonder what's on the rest of the pages? Maybe even a link to some of his actual pontifications?

BTW: a different article in the Telegraph lists a couple of other television inciters to murder:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/9859822/Preachers-of-hate-on-British-TV-what-they-said-that-broke-the-broadcasting-rules.html

EDIT to add: Nothing more to see, folks. The accusation of having his daughter's boyfriend killed was quickly reduced to his (or people hoping to please him turbulent priest-wise) having a relative of the man killed in Pakistan in revenge. After that, it's about splitters all the way until it petered out in 2005. No sign of any transcripts/translations of his preaching to see for ourselves.

The bit about the Cook Report in the 80's sounds interesting, but that's for another day.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Islam