Define a moderate

Lets do

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Define a moderate

#221  Postby OlivierK » Oct 20, 2014 10:53 am

The limit on nested quotes is messing up that post. Just to be clear, Scot, these are the questions I'm curious to see an answer to:

OlivierK wrote:I'll just ask you to explain, in as much detail as you please, what you meant in this post:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
OlivierK wrote:What's a moderate Muslim? Someone who doesn't want to kill infidels, keep non-muslim girls as sex slaves, marry 5-year-olds, or support ISIL?

I mean, you've actually answered your own question in your own post :dunno:

They are not muslims then?

Clearly, this is an example of your writing that people, including me, interpret as a No True Muslim argument. If that's not what you meant, then (a) what did you mean?, and (b) can you see how people interpret this as a No True Muslim argument? I'm genuinely curious about how you can't see this, so if you could give a thoughtful explanation rather than some snide dismissal or evasion, I'd appreciate it.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#222  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 20, 2014 1:26 pm

I would like my questions answered too.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#223  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 20, 2014 1:28 pm

OlivierK wrote:The limit on nested quotes is messing up that post. Just to be clear, Scot, these are the questions I'm curious to see an answer to:

OlivierK wrote:I'll just ask you to explain, in as much detail as you please, what you meant in this post:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
OlivierK wrote:What's a moderate Muslim? Someone who doesn't want to kill infidels, keep non-muslim girls as sex slaves, marry 5-year-olds, or support ISIL?

Clearly, this is an example of your writing that people, including me, interpret as a No True Muslim argument. If that's not what you meant, then (a) what did you mean?, and (b) can you see how people interpret this as a No True Muslim argument? I'm genuinely curious about how you can't see this, so if you could give a thoughtful explanation rather than some snide dismissal or evasion, I'd appreciate it.

Please answer this question.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#224  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 20, 2014 1:29 pm

Please answer mine.

I do not find that a question anyway.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#225  Postby Fallible » Oct 20, 2014 1:39 pm

:picard:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#226  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 20, 2014 1:47 pm

OlivierK wrote:The limit on nested quotes is messing up that post. Just to be clear, Scot, these are the questions I'm curious to see an answer to:

Scot Dutchy wrote:

I have bolded the part that is clearly two questions. Please answer them.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#227  Postby Oeditor » Oct 20, 2014 1:50 pm

chairman bill wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:I think fundamentalist imams anywhere in Europe at the present time are keeping their heads down below the parapet.

And those in Saudi Arabia? They're even the same branch of Islam.
But still subjects of King Saud, who is now regretting what he's helped unleash.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#228  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 20, 2014 1:52 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:

Scot Dutchy wrote:

I have bolded the part that is clearly two questions. Please answer them.

I have asked questions and yet to receive an answer so why on earth should I answer such a word salad of an argument?

It is not a question. It is a load of assertions without any evidence. Where is the definition of a moderate muslim.
Just this:

What's a moderate Muslim? Someone who doesn't want to kill infidels, keep non-muslim girls as sex slaves, marry 5-year-olds, or support ISIL?

Yes a great thought out definition.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#229  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 20, 2014 2:01 pm

Please answer the question Scot, there are no assertions in asking you to explain what you meant. Also you can't declare no one answered your question then quote one of the answers to your very question, there were others as well your refusal to admit they exist does not change that. Not to mention simply assertion a definition is not well thought out enough does not stop it from being a definition.

Now please answer the questions, what did you actually mean by that quoted post and do you understand why others could and did read it as a No True Scotsman?
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#230  Postby Sendraks » Oct 20, 2014 2:02 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:I do not find that a question anyway.

What do you think of the goose?
It's not a goose, it's an Ostrich!
I think you'll find it is most definitely a goose.
YOU DIDN'T ANSWER MY QUESTIONS!
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#231  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 20, 2014 2:04 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:I do not find that a question anyway.

What do you think of the goose?
It's not a goose, it's an Ostrich!
I think you'll find it is most definitely a goose.
YOU DIDN'T ANSWER MY QUESTIONS!

Who is answering mine? I dont answer assertions.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#232  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 20, 2014 2:14 pm

[Reveal] Spoiler: Definition 1

[Reveal] Spoiler: Definition 2
chairman bill wrote:A moderate is surely a 'relational' terms, in that it defines a position only in relation to another. It is a position on a continuum, and is a subjective decision according to changing circumstances. If Scot Dutchy would care to define the two extremes on his continuum, I'm sure we could then pretty much define a moderate.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Definition 3
mrjonno wrote:Problem for (Muslims) is the 'moderate' position has changed.

I would describe the moderate position (as in the most common position) in Western Europe as not giving a shit about religion or god.
I would most people on this forum as being 'left' of this moderate position by actively disliking religion, but anyone who actually took religious remotely seriously as 'right' of this position.
a
Basically if you take religion seriously in Western European you are not moderate, that doesnt mean you are dangerous or a threat but simply going to church/mosques regularly means you are not mainstream

[Reveal] Spoiler: Definition 4
I'm With Stupid wrote:
mrjonno wrote:Basically if you take religion seriously in Western European you are not moderate, that doesnt mean you are dangerous or a threat but simply going to church/mosques regularly means you are not mainstream

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I think "moderate" is more to do with the way the religion interacts with the rest of society than how individual Muslims happen to live their lives. I think it's possible to be a fairly conservative Muslim and still be a moderate if you oppose any attempts to inflict your religious views on other people (including other Muslims). The sort of Catholic who says, "I could never have an abortion, but I support everyone else's right to make their own choice about it." On a personal level, they believe abortion to be deeply immoral, but they recognise that it's a view based on their religion, and so has no business interfering with anyone else's ability to come to their own conclusion. So it goes without saying that to be a moderate Muslim, according to my definition, you have to be a secularist, to oppose blasphemy laws, to support the right to divorce, to support the free choice to leave a religion, amongst other things. But you can do all of these things and still wear a burka every time you leave the house.

Obviously being personally conservative often goes hand-in-hand with trying to impose your religion on others, but it isn't necessarily the case.

And "moderate" is, of course, a relative term. A moderate in Saudi Arabia might be someone who supports allowing women to drive and opposes chopping the hands of thieves.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Definition 5
Spearthrower wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily say that. I think "moderate" is more to do with the way the religion interacts with the rest of society than how individual Muslims happen to live their lives.

I agree - it's about the relationship between their expression of beliefs and their interaction in society. Someone who seeks to change any element of society to conform to their interpretation of their religion is not moderate. However, even such a person is still a long way away from being a violent fanatic which, if you read the other thread that spurred this one, is the central contention here.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Definition 6
Anontheist wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:I have been accused of almost everything because I will not separate moderates from fundamentalists.

Well now there is a problem what is a moderate? In this case in particular what is a moderate muslim. I am not including xtians in this discussion because in most western societies they are a spent force. With the rise of IS/ISIS/ISIL certain people claim that this group has nothing to do with islam when actually they are following the koran to the letter. They are not introducing anything new. It is pure islam as mohammed would have done.

Now where do you draw the line? They use the same book they go to the same mosque but yet there are walking together fundamentalists and moderates.

Where is the difference. For some it seems so clear cut and I would like to know why?

50 year old men marrying 5 year old girls maybe is a start.
How about death to all infidels who refuse to convert. A nice one which IS has clearly shown. Non muslim girls as sex slaves? Another one that IS has clearly shown.

Just what is acceptable to these members? Why is there not a moderator's koran? Nicely cherry picked with all the bad bits missing. It would be a very slim book.

Just what is a moderate?

A good friend is a practicing Muslim.

He's American - but his background is half (Asian) Indian and half Saudi. He was raised in Florida and North Carolina, went to university in New York and Spain and lives and works in Japan, having married a Japanese woman. She's agnostic/non-religious.

He doesn't drink or consume pork, and he's been on the Hajj pilgrimage, and he travels about 3 hours on a Saturday to attend his mosque. He's convinced the there is a God and his true prophet was Mohammed.

He's a teacher by trade and a writer by inclination. He previously worked as an intern at 'Dolly' magazine in New York and has managed to get freelance contributions into some pretty-big name periodicals. He practices capoeira, is a break dancer and accomplished free-style rapper and beatboxer. He's got a weakness for karaoke as well.

His little girl is three. He's raising her in pretty much the most secular state in the world. He's not going to force his religious beliefs on his kid, but will let her make up her own mind. His parent's were a mixed marriage (Hindu and Muslim) and that's what they let him and his (secular/non religious) brother do.

He's what I think of when I hear the phrase 'Moderate Muslim'

That was only from the first 6 or so pages. I know I gave you a simple one later on as well and I am sure there are a few more lost in the hubub of all the posts this thread has had posted. To deny that definitions have been given is to deny reality, simple as that.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#233  Postby Sendraks » Oct 20, 2014 2:15 pm

Never happened.
Clearly none of the questions have been answered and clearly there are no questions for scot to answer.

This thread is a myth.
I'm a platypus.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#234  Postby babel » Oct 20, 2014 2:17 pm

Why don't we simply give Scot the definition he's been aiming for from the start of this thread?

"A moderate is an extremist who hasn't been exposed yet."

Can we all go home now?
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#235  Postby Fallible » Oct 20, 2014 2:17 pm

There will now follow a post about how those aren't proper definitions and then we'll be back to the No True Scotsman goose chase once more.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#236  Postby redwhine » Oct 20, 2014 2:29 pm

Anontheist wrote:He doesn't drink or consume pork, and he's been on the Hajj pilgrimage, and he travels about 3 hours on a Saturday to attend his mosque. He's convinced the there is a God and his true prophet was Mohammed.

Did you mean Friday?

Saturday (well, sundown Friday to sundown Saturday) is the Jewish sabbath.
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#237  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 20, 2014 2:44 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Once again childish point scoring. Just give a definition will you.

Right Scot.

I am going to hold you to account on this.

You are fucking lying.

Not only have I presented a definition of moderate in this thread, but a whole series of posts have been made on this topic by other members as well.

Your claim that no one has offered a definition is outright bullshit. Go back to page 2 and read onwards - there are definitions and discussion of definitions in abundance.

Now, you will cease to lie that no definition has been given.

As you like the appeals to moderators, I will remind you of this:

m. quote mining, plagiarising, or otherwise purposely misrepresenting content from other members or external sources.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#238  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 20, 2014 2:47 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
It is not a question. It is a load of assertions without any evidence. Where is the definition of a moderate muslim.
Just this:

What's a moderate Muslim? Someone who doesn't want to kill infidels, keep non-muslim girls as sex slaves, marry 5-year-olds, or support ISIL?

Yes a great thought out definition.

It's called a corollary. Scot.

Essentially, your original post defined an extremist as someone carrying out those acts. Ergo, by your OWN definition, anyone not carrying out those acts is not an extremist. These could well be the moderates you claim are indistinguishable from extremists - have you considered that?

If you are incapable of processing this, I can find another Sesame Street video for you.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#239  Postby mindhack » Oct 20, 2014 3:21 pm

babel wrote:Why don't we simply give Scot the definition he's been aiming for from the start of this thread?

Can we all go home now?

It's irrelevant to Scot whether there're moderates. Islam is the problem, and all Muslims are part of it.

It's very very very simple.
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#240  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 20, 2014 3:25 pm

mindhack wrote:
babel wrote:Why don't we simply give Scot the definition he's been aiming for from the start of this thread?

Can we all go home now?

It's irrelevant to Scot whether there're moderates. Islam is the problem, and all Muslims are part of it.

It's very very very simple.

Is it in the Koran?

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Islam