Iran fights Fifa ban on hijab

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Iran fights Fifa ban on hijab

#1  Postby DoctorE » Apr 13, 2010 2:11 pm

Why do people bother with Islam.. or any religion sigh
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGvlwvB3O24[/youtube]
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: Iran fights Fifa ban on hijab

#2  Postby Kuia » Apr 14, 2010 11:46 pm

Rules for their own sake are ridiculous. If FIFA's charter cares about what teams wear when it has zero effect on the game, then FIFA's charter is as silly as the hijab.
If teams want to wear short socks instead of long, or long pants instead of short, or any other imaginable garb for whatever reason I can think of no reason to disallow it.
Kuia

Print view this post

#3  Postby Paul G » Apr 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Kuia wrote:Rules for their own sake are ridiculous. If FIFA's charter cares about what teams wear when it has zero effect on the game, then FIFA's charter is as silly as the hijab.
If teams want to wear short socks instead of long, or long pants instead of short, or any other imaginable garb for whatever reason I can think of no reason to disallow it.

I'm assuming Hijabs can be tugged or pulled during a game, which can get a bit messy.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Kuia » Apr 15, 2010 12:23 am

Paul G wrote:

I'm assuming Hijabs can be tugged or pulled during a game, which can get a bit messy.

I don't know all the rules of soccer, but surely the ref would deal with that?
And if hijabs can be tugged, so can other items of clothing.
Kuia

Print view this post

#5  Postby Ciwan » Apr 17, 2010 9:32 pm

I do not like the Hijab but I do not quite understand why FIFA won't allow it ?

I think Kuia has a point.
Arthur: "I'm YOUR king" - Peasant: "Well, I didn't vote for you!"
Ciwan
RS Donator

Name: J
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby virphen » Apr 17, 2010 9:38 pm

It's one I don't get either. It doesn't cover the forehead, so there are no issues with assisting heading, it doesn't cover the face, so there are no issues with identification of players by the ref. Apparently it's for safety reasons, but I don't see the danger.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby jim » Apr 17, 2010 9:57 pm

virphen wrote:It's one I don't get either. It doesn't cover the forehead, so there are no issues with assisting heading, it doesn't cover the face, so there are no issues with identification of players by the ref. Apparently it's for safety reasons, but I don't see the danger.

FIFA says on its website that “the player's equipment must not carry any political, religious, or personal statements,” and that “all items of clothing or equipment other than the basic must be inspected by the referee and determined not to be dangerous.”

The ruling suggests that FIFA considers playing soccer while wearing the hijab to be potentially dangerous to the player.

In 2007, an 11-year-old girl was not allowed to play in a soccer game in Canada because she was wearing the hijab. The Quebec Soccer Association said the ban on the hijab is to protect children from being accidentally strangled.

Personally i say let them play in them, if any player receives an injury to the neck due to the hajib then surely that is Allah's will.
Father Dougal:
Come on, Ted. Sure it's no more peculiar than all that stuff we learned in the seminary, you know, Heaven and Hell and everlasting life and all that type of thing. You're not meant to take it seriously, Ted!
jim

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Ciwan » Apr 17, 2010 10:13 pm

jim wrote:

FIFA says on its website that “the player's equipment must not carry any political, religious, or personal statements,”.

Hm I guess I can see some ground there for not allowing the hijab. But that same ground also applies to English teams and the red poppy ! :think:
Ciwan
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby jim » Apr 17, 2010 10:17 pm

Remembering the fallen from all conflicts everywhere?
Its not really political or religious and its a general statement rather than a personal one, its basically just a way to show respect to victims of war everywhere.

Edited to note..

There is a rule about jewelery though, its not allowed and lets face it, the poppy is just a pretty broach that the boys can wear. Under that ruling it shouldn't be allowed.
Father Dougal:
Come on, Ted. Sure it's no more peculiar than all that stuff we learned in the seminary, you know, Heaven and Hell and everlasting life and all that type of thing. You're not meant to take it seriously, Ted!
jim

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Ciwan » Apr 17, 2010 10:26 pm

jim wrote:Remembering the fallen from all conflicts everywhere?

Oops my bad I thought it was just remember the soldiers on the allies side, not the germans nazis !!

So do they have the Red Poppy thing in Germany as well then ?

Thanks for shedding light on this. 8-)
Ciwan
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Alan B » Apr 18, 2010 10:32 am

Are there any Sikh football teams where the traditional turban is worn?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Islam