Is the problem of evil a problem for Islam?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Is the problem of evil a problem for Islam?

#1  Postby Imza » Aug 02, 2013 1:56 am

I've been thinking about this and despite being an ex-muslim, I can't recall ever coming across any Muslim apologist or scholar that defends against the problem of evil as many christian scholars do. I was wondering if anyone knew if there were people defending Islam from the problem of evil or if it even applies to Islam. Same goes for all the traditional philosophical arguments leveled against the Christian God as the Muslim God is supposed to be the same, are the attributes Muslims give to God similar to those Christian's ascribe?
Imza

Name: Imza
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Is the problem of evil a problem for Islam?

#2  Postby proudfootz » Aug 02, 2013 2:25 am

I suppose if the creator good is represented as being all-good etc the same sort of logic should apply.

Though I confess I don't know that's part of the definition in this case.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Aug 02, 2013 9:02 am

In Islam, women are evil because they are presumed to cheat on their husbands, so they have to be trussed up like mailbags with tiny vision slits. Islam is so busy fussing over fanasties of female "sin", I don't think they worry about much else.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#4  Postby quisquose » Aug 02, 2013 9:21 am

If Allah is supposed to be "most gracious, most merciful" then yes, it's a problem.

It's simply that the timings of Christian and Islamic apologetic bullshit is slightly out of synch.
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Ironclad » Aug 02, 2013 10:04 am

Perhaps Islam has not allowed for enough of its members to actually question it's God. Let alone the question the infallible Prophet. There seems to me a ferocious internal paranoia in Islam, the prophet is such an ideal superman he must never be discussed on pain of death, Allah is wonderous and is beyond untouchable too. So strong is this feeling from Muslims that even outsiders are likely to die if they question the religion and its figureheads.
If Muslim scholars has investigated the problem of evil I'd be surprised. I'd be ver6 surprised if they are Saudi.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Evolving » Aug 02, 2013 10:29 am

It’s an interesting question, and one that I’d like to see answered by someone who knows the answer (no offence to those posting above…)

I found this this thanks to Google: no idea how representative or reliable it is.

A cursory glance suggests that the arguments are as follows:

- we are too imperfect to understand what good truly is and therefore are in no position to judge whether something is evil

- and are unable to perceive the wisdom exhibited by god, i.e. the greater good intended by him in permitting things to happen that we, silly us, think are evil.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 02, 2013 11:23 am

I found this link.

http://askanislamicist.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/how-does-islam-address-the-problem-of-evil/

If not – and if you’re feeling really, really ambitious – how does Islam address the problem of Evil?

Obviously this is a really massive concept, so I’m going to focus primarily on the early and Medieval model, and in particular, those aspects that have survived into the modern practice of Islam.

In general, Islam places a much heavier emphasis on the omnipotence of God, and therefore is much more deterministic in its cosmology than Christianity. By that I mean that Islamic theology has always been more likely to accept the idea that everything – even bad things – are acts of God, thus the range of things attributed to evil is smaller.

There is an Islamic devil – in Arabic, the Devil is called Iblis or Satan (Shaytan). Like in the Christian tradition, Iblis is understood as a former angel who was cast out of heaven. In Islamic tradition, Iblis, who was made out of fire, refused to bow down before God’s new creation, Man, because Man was made from dirt/mud. For this, Iblis was cast out.

The concept differs between the xtian concept of evil and islamic one.

Another thing original sin is not an islamic concept.

Here is another view:

http://www.patheos.com/Library/Islam/Beliefs/Suffering-and-the-Problem-of-Evil.html

The monotheistic faiths must consider the problems of suffering and evil within the context of God's power and mercy. In Islam, there are two views of suffering, both of which resemble views held by its sister faiths, Judaism and Christianity. Suffering is either the painful result of sin, or it is a test.

In the latter view, suffering tests belief; a true Muslim will remain faithful through the trials of life. But suffering also reveals the hidden self to God. Suffering is built into the fabric of existence so that God may see who is truly righteous. In other words, God not only allows the various agonies and struggles of life, but has a purpose for them. Suffering opens up the soul and reveals it to God. God uses suffering to look within humans and test their characters, and correct the unbelievers.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Thommo » Aug 02, 2013 11:27 am

Evolving wrote:- we are too imperfect to understand what good truly is and therefore are in no position to judge whether something is evil

You have to admire the capacity for doublethink in anyone who can hold this to be true whilst also believing that Allah gives everyone a moral code to follow and a sense of right and wrong.
Thommo

Print view this post

#9  Postby Evolving » Aug 02, 2013 11:35 am

It fees like something you might say to a small child: "You're too young to understand. I'll explain when you're older."

NB I may be completely misrepresenting, from ignorance, what Islam's stand on these matters is.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#10  Postby THWOTH » Aug 02, 2013 11:47 am

Thommo wrote:
Evolving wrote:- we are too imperfect to understand what good truly is and therefore are in no position to judge whether something is evil

You have to admire the capacity for doublethink in anyone who can hold this to be true whilst also believing that Allah gives everyone a moral code to follow and a sense of right and wrong.

Aye, it's rather self-affirming. Also, as Allah is perfectly good any act carried out by humans on his behalf which is in accord with his will is good automatically even if it causes suffering. If a tidal wave or disease or marketplace suicide bomber causes suffering this is just Allah's will at work. Allah wills all things to be as they are and is perfectly good therefore the suffering he wills on humans is good. Blowing oneself and other Muslims up in a crowded marketplace, for example, can now be seen as an act of love which honours Allah without having to account for the harm of either the act or its consequences. Loving Allah is all, it removes evil from one's heart and one's acts, and the true or greater evil is not accepting that all humans have an obligation to love Allah properly and to conform to his will as communicated to them through the Holy Quran.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Oeditor » Aug 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Yes, both religions use a satan as a stool-pigeon. So much for their omnipotent gods. It means they've thought about evil and never come up with a reasonable explanation. As they haven't for anything else, of course.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Arcanyn » Aug 05, 2013 8:41 am

Given how Allah is portayed in the Koran as quite the psychopathic monster, I'd say that it's the Problem of Good that's more of a problem for Islam.
Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby THWOTH » Aug 05, 2013 9:13 am

Indeed. As someone once noted, the Abrahamic deity depicted in them special, holy books appears as "a homicidal, genocidal, fratricidal, racist, xenophobic bully."
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby termina » Aug 13, 2013 11:07 pm

Well, i've identified two opposite reactions to the problem of evil in Islam.:

Some theologians believe that God is intrisically merciful and wise so He can't harm His creation without a cause, so they resort to the usual theodicies of Christian apologetics (except for the Original Sin), the most famous being "evil as a test of patience".

Others have a different view of the relation between God and humans: God has no obligation to care about our well-being whatsoever, while we must consider ourselves as His properties, so calamities are considered either as a punishment for disobedience or an expression of God's right to do whatever He wants with His creation. Thus, the problem of evil wouldn't apply to this school of thought as they believe in a tyrannic, self-centered deity.
termina

Male

Print view this post

Return to Islam