Islam and women

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Islam and women

#1  Postby Clive Durdle » May 04, 2013 8:13 am

http://www.theatlantic.com/internationa ... ts/275450/

We often talk about "the Islamic world," or the "Muslim community," but sometimes it takes being smacked with an enormous, amazing data dump to remind us that Muslims are actually an incredibly diverse group -- if you can call them a group -- who adhere to views that are informed by their cultural and political context as much as their religion.

For their mammoth new study about the world's Muslims, the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life interviewed more than 38,000 Muslims in 39 countries on topics ranging from morality, to politics and justice, and the relationships between the sexes.

There's a lot to parse here, but one of the most interesting sections is on views about women, given the recent controversy over sexual abuse in India, the flare-up over the "topless jihad," and the potential resurgence of Sharia law in Syria and other unstable areas.

One big takeaway is this: The way Muslims see the role of women is highly dependent on where they live.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Islam and women

#2  Postby Oeditor » May 04, 2013 9:36 am

Not terribly convincing. Three out of 23 countries have less than 50% agreeing that wives should obey their husbands. And pretty small countries at that. A much more interesting survey, if one could be done, would be how seriously Muslims in various countries take their Islam. The results may even turn out to be similar.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 04, 2013 10:59 am

What worries me is the method of questioning.
All I could find was this:

In all countries, surveys were administered through face-to-face interviews conducted at a respondent’s place of residence.

A frightning thought. Hubby there the whole time? Not much free thought.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Shrunk » May 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:What worries me is the method of questioning.
All I could find was this:

In all countries, surveys were administered through face-to-face interviews conducted at a respondent’s place of residence.

A frightning thought. Hubby there the whole time? Not much free thought.

My thought was just the opposite: That in a face to face interview people are more likely to express a socially acceptable opinion even if it does not represent their true belief. That makes the numbers all the more appalling: They reflect the degree to which the idea that women must always obey their husbands is simply taken as a given.

The authors really think it is "incredibly diverse" that almost every single society is deeply misogynistic, but with varying degrees of severity?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Oeditor » May 04, 2013 8:39 pm

Face to face? Were the questioners all women? You could hardly call it face to face through a burqa, And if a burqa had to be there, the woman's owner would have to be too, for sure.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Scarlett » May 04, 2013 9:19 pm

Yes,the results are just various degrees of appalling. The lowest percentage when they asked 'Must a wife always obey her husband' is Kosovo at 34% in agreement. Out of the 23 countries only 3 of them had an agreement lever under 50%.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Shrunk » May 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Oeditor wrote:Face to face? Were the questioners all women? You could hardly call it face to face through a burqa, And if a burqa had to be there, the woman's owner would have to be too, for sure.

I remember a telling incident during my brief stay on an Islamic webforum. I had become embroiled in a lengthy discussion of evolution vs. creationism when I received a personal message from a female member of the forum who had previously been a moderator there. She commended me on the strength of my arguments and my persistence, and also reassured me that there were Muslims who had no problem reconciling acceptance of evolution with their religious beliefs, mentioning that she taught biology. However, she also realized that many of her fellow believers were quite intractible on the issue, and kindly suggested that I was not likely to change any minds. It was a polite, courteous and articulate message. Then, at the very end, she informed me that she would be showing our correspondance to her husband, as communicating over the internet was considered the equivalent of being in the same room with me, and she could not do this without her husband present.

Of the many shocking and infuriating things I read on that forum, that was in some ways the most disturbing.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 05, 2013 3:24 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Oeditor wrote:Face to face? Were the questioners all women? You could hardly call it face to face through a burqa, And if a burqa had to be there, the woman's owner would have to be too, for sure.

I remember a telling incident during my brief stay on an Islamic webforum. I had become embroiled in a lengthy discussion of evolution vs. creationism when I received a personal message from a female member of the forum who had previously been a moderator there. She commended me on the strength of my arguments and my persistence, and also reassured me that there were Muslims who had no problem reconciling acceptance of evolution with their religious beliefs, mentioning that she taught biology. However, she also realized that many of her fellow believers were quite intractible on the issue, and kindly suggested that I was not likely to change any minds. It was a polite, courteous and articulate message. Then, at the very end, she informed me that she would be showing our correspondance to her husband, as communicating over the internet was considered the equivalent of being in the same room with me, and she could not do this without her husband present.

Of the many shocking and infuriating things I read on that forum, that was in some ways the most disturbing.

And Nora thinks that they have total freedom. THeir hubbies are everywhere. Stories go back to him and dont think otherwise and then it is out with the cane. :roll:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Darwinsbulldog » May 06, 2013 12:02 am

The problem with Islam is an institutional hatred of women. They know that they need women to reproduce, but they can't handle this corruption of their absolute male power. They will tolerate a devout Muslim woman, but she is a slave. A non-Muslim woman is fair game for rape or murder, because she is even less of a human being in their eyes. Islam means slavery-literally. Slavery to an imagined sky-daddy that is so powerful that little "human" apes have to treat women like shit and holy wars are necessary to spread this sick delusional rubbish world-wide.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#10  Postby HomerJay » May 06, 2013 12:38 am

Shrunk wrote:Then, at the very end, she informed me that she would be showing our correspondance to her husband, as communicating over the internet was considered the equivalent of being in the same room with me, and she could not do this without her husband present.

On a couple of muslim forums I frequent, a regular question that has come up is whether women should answer the telephone at home, or leave it to their husbands. The problem being that they could inadvertantly converse with a non-mahram male.

People with that sort of problem are reasonably few and far between but most people agree that they are technically correct.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Shrunk » May 06, 2013 10:11 am

HomerJay wrote:
Shrunk wrote:Then, at the very end, she informed me that she would be showing our correspondance to her husband, as communicating over the internet was considered the equivalent of being in the same room with me, and she could not do this without her husband present.

On a couple of muslim forums I frequent, a regular question that has come up is whether women should answer the telephone at home, or leave it to their husbands. The problem being that they could inadvertantly converse with a non-mahram male.

People with that sort of problem are reasonably few and far between but most people agree that they are technically correct.

So what happens if the husband answers and it's a woman on the other end?
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Zwaarddijk » May 06, 2013 10:16 am

It would be intriguing to see the numbers for non-muslims from the same regions - Russians in the same region as the Russian muslim populations, non-Muslim former-Jugoslavians, Thai, etc.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Aern Rakesh » May 06, 2013 11:45 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:And Nora thinks that they have total freedom.

Where, oh where did I say that?????? I defy you to find a post where I've said all Muslim women the world over are totally free.

You can't because I haven't. :roll:

ETA: And don't forget at the time when I got married (1972) many western women were promising to obey their husband in their wedding vows. I refused to do that, but it was the 'default' position at the time.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Clive Durdle » May 06, 2013 12:08 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/pakistan-town-men ... 37465.html

"MATEELA, Pakistan (AP) — For decades, not a single woman in this dusty Pakistani village surrounded by wheat fields and orange trees has voted. And they aren't likely to in next week's parliamentary election either. The village's men have spoken.
"It's the will of my husband," said one woman, Fatma Shamshed. "This is the decision of all the families."

Mateela is one of 564 out of the 64,000 polling districts across Pakistan where not a single woman voted in the country's 2008 election. The men from this village of roughly 9,000 people got together with other nearby communities to decide that their women would not vote on May 11 either."

"In places like Mateela, the fact that men decide women should not be allowed to vote is a decades-old tradition. Some men say women don't have the mental capacity. Other times they don't want wives and daughters to leave the house. Some simply don't see the point.

At a recent gathering in the village, about 100 miles (160 kilometers) south of Islamabad, activists tried to encourage the opposite. The Association for Gender Awareness & Human Empowerment, an independent group working to increase voter participation, met with residents, trying to encourage them to let women vote.

Mateela's men sat with male activists in a courtyard near the village mosque. Secluded behind a gate, the women sat on a concrete floor and listened to a female activist talk about the benefits of voting.

Yar Mohammed, one of the village elders, insisted it isn't a matter of discrimination. The problem, he said, is that the local polling station is mixed gender. The men worry that their wives and daughters will be harassed, so they want a separate women's station. In some places, but not all, polls are specified for men or women only.

"We stop our women from going to polling stations because we think if they do, men would tease them by staring or touching them," he said.

Mateela's women certainly want a political voice. They talk of their desire to see better roads, schools where their daughters can get an education and a reliable supply of gas for cooking and heating.

They don't directly defy their fathers and husbands — but they do lobby them to change their minds.

One resident, Mohammed Shamshed, said the women in his family "come up to us and say, 'We want to vote.'"

"But we tell them that it is a collective decision," he said."
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Nicko » May 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/pakistan-town-men-spoken-no-women-vote-160837465.html

I find it interesting that the people interviewed in that article explicitly cite tradition and erroneous beliefs about female intelligence rather than religion as the reason for denying women suffrage. If pushed for the justification of the tradition and the beliefs they would probably hide their prejudices behind their faith, but most do not appear to have thought about the subject that deeply. It's a tradition. They follow it. That's what traditions are for.

As for the report cited in the OP, it's not really very surprising. Education and economic development are eroding the power of tradition and prejudice, just as they did in "Christian" countries.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Shrunk » May 06, 2013 1:25 pm

It'd be interesting to see what would happen if their request for gender segregated polling stations were granted. Would they then allow women to vote, or is that just a pretext?

In any event, it's an example of missing the point by a massive margin. The very concept of women having to be imprisoned in their home for fear of their being "harassed" (which apparently includes being "stared at") is precisely the problem that needs to be addressed.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby ixolite » May 25, 2013 5:08 pm

Back on the old FFI forum, the mods would moderate through a jointly used anonymous account called M. One islamic fundie once complained to M that the women on the forum (I was one of the people who he complained about talking to him) should be barred from speaking to him. Little did he know that quite a few M's were women and that one of them was me. :lol: (The answer he got was that the forum is not operating under sharia.)

Generally most (male) fundies would just assume that all posters were male, even on the new forum where we got the gender-thingies under our avatars I would often be referred to as "he".
ixolite

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#18  Postby CarlPierce » Jun 27, 2013 4:22 pm

Locked into fossilised views of gender roles by their religion......the world has left these by western standards barbaric views behind.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Islam