Islam's ability to empower is magnet to black British youth

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Islam's ability to empower is magnet to black British youth

#1  Postby HomerJay » Aug 20, 2013 6:46 pm

When I was younger it was Islam's sense of brotherhood that my life needed, not the passivity of Christian doctrine...

I converted to Islam after learning about the religion's monotheistic foundation; there being only one God – Allah who does not share his divinity with anything. This made sense and was easy to comprehend. My conversion was further strengthened by learning that Islam recognised and revered the prophets mentioned in Judaism and Christianity. My new faith was, as its holy book the Qur'an declares, a natural and final progression of these earlier religions. Additionally, with my newfound faith, there existed religious guidelines that provided spiritual and behavioural codes of conduct. Role models such as Malcolm X only helped to reinforce the perception that Islam enabled the empowerment of one's masculinity coupled with righteous and virtuous conduct as a strength, not a weakness...

My research examined whether such converts were more susceptible to violent radicalisation or more effective at countering it. The overwhelming conclusion points to the latter – provided there are avenues to channel these individuals' newly discovered sense of empowerment and identity towards constructive participation in society, as opposed to a destructive insularity which can be exploited by extremists.

Many Muslim converts – not just black British ones – will confirm the sense of empowerment Islam provides, both spiritually and mentally. It also provides a context within which such individuals are able to rise above the social, cultural and often economic challenges that tend to thwart their progress in today's society. Turning the other cheek therefore is never an option.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ish-youths

Mmm, grievance politics.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Islam's ability to empower is magnet to black British youth

#2  Postby CarlPierce » Oct 01, 2013 1:45 pm

Islam is to empowerment - as a ball and chain is to Marathon running.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Matthew Shute » Oct 01, 2013 2:55 pm

I struggle to see what is "empowering" about becoming a "slave of Allah"; a slave to dogmatic superstition and delusion, anyway.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Matthew Shute » Oct 01, 2013 3:57 pm

When I was younger it was Islam's sense of brotherhood that my life needed, not the passivity of Christian doctrine...
Never mind whether Islam's doctrines are true. What matters is that they have a strong "us versus them" outlook. Right..

I converted to Islam after learning about the religion's monotheistic foundation; there being only one God – Allah who does not share his divinity with anything. This made sense and was easy to comprehend.
:dopey: Translation: "The more simplistic and one-dimensional the fairytale, the more readily I'll believe it."

My conversion was further strengthened by learning that Islam recognised and revered the prophets mentioned in Judaism and Christianity. My new faith was, as its holy book the Qur'an declares, a natural and final progression of these earlier religions.

Bullshit 3: The Spin Off.

Additionally, with my newfound faith, there existed religious guidelines that provided spiritual and behavioural codes of conduct.

Ah, yes, where would we be without an irrational terror of pig flesh and witchcraft, for example?

Role models such as Malcolm X only helped to reinforce the perception that Islam enabled the empowerment of one's masculinity coupled with righteous and virtuous conduct as a strength, not a weakness...
Yes, it may be a very masculine (dare I say male dominated?) religion; but macho and brotherly nonsense is still, well, nonsense.

Many Muslim converts – not just black British ones – will confirm the sense of empowerment Islam provides, both spiritually and mentally.

Putting on mental shackles may give some people a sense of mental empowerment; but do they actually become mentally more powerful? Not necessarily!
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Oeditor » Oct 01, 2013 7:09 pm

Not to mention that the ancestors of a lot of these black "slaves of Allah" will have been actual black slaves of the Arab metaphorical "slaves of Allah". Who do they think sold he black Africans to the Atlantic slave trade? Nor to mention where the rest of the Muslim slavers' black victims went. Some "empowerment"!
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Nebogipfel » Oct 04, 2013 10:27 am

I wonder how many female youths were included in these considerations? :think:
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Mister Agenda » Oct 08, 2013 4:28 pm

There's got to be a better way to empower the black youth of the UK.
Mister Agenda

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Islam