Koran Advice

Recommendations for a friend

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Koran Advice

#1  Postby Macros1980 » Nov 15, 2013 12:11 am

One of my friends just posted on Facebook that she's looking for a good translation of the Koran, with commentary, ideally in eBook format. I know a lot of you guys have read it and wondered whether I could garner a few recommendations for her. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. :thumbup:
To presume that your one-in-64-million chance thing is a miracle is to significantly underestimate the total number of... things... that there are. -Tim Minchin
Macros1980

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Koran Advice

#2  Postby Matthew Shute » Nov 15, 2013 1:11 am

I don't know any Arabic, so I can't give advice about the quality of any one translation. However, this one has quite a bit of (often sceptical and fun-poking) commentary:

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Shrunk » Nov 15, 2013 1:47 am

Abdullah Yusuf Ali's translation is one of the standards, and has copious footnotes which can be helpful.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Blackadder » Nov 15, 2013 11:25 am

Shrunk wrote:Abdullah Yusuf Ali's translation is one of the standards, and has copious footnotes which can be helpful.

:this:

It's the one I grew up with. It's early 20th Century so a little dated but Yusuf Ali's command of English is masterful.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Islam