Muslims complain Eastenders makes them seem homophobic

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Muslims complain Eastenders makes them seem homophobic

#1  Postby Paul1 » Mar 30, 2010 4:05 pm

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/03/29/co ... lot-twist/

An EastEnders storyline in which gay character Christian Clarke is attacked by a Muslim has already attracted complaints.

The soap is currently running a storyline involving a romance between Christian (John Partridge) and Muslim character Syed Masood (Marc Elliot).

At Christmas, Syed's mother Zainab found out about the pair's relationship and Syed was forced to marry a woman, Amira.

But the storyline will reportedly come to a head at the end of next month, with Amira finding out about her husband's sexual orientation.

Christian is then attacked by a Muslim character. Although it is not yet known who is responsible, Amira and Syed's fathers will both be in the frame for the attack.

According to the Daily Star, an EastEnders source said: “Syed and Amira’s wedding achieved one of the highest ratings of the year, so we’re expecting viewers to again be gripped when this storyline reaches its dramatic climax.

"There will be lots of twists and turns along the way. And sadly for poor Christian, he’ll be the one who ends up taking a battering. There will also be lots of complaints.”

The Muslim Public Affairs Committee has already criticised the gay storyline and said last year that the BBC had missed the chance to present a "normal friendly Muslim character" to the British public.

On the latest plot, spokesman Tahir Shah said: “EastEnders is famous for its gritty and realistic storylines but we cannot condone such violence from a Muslim character.”

An EastEnders spokesman said: “We won’t confirm future storylines as we do not want to spoil anything for our viewers.”

Quite funny really... What can I say, the truth hurts! Their forum reveals much about many Muslims' beliefs:
http://forum.mpacuk.org/showthread.php?t=42472goto=newpost wrote:
muzzylogic: I find the notion of a "gay muslim" a bit of an oxymoron, if I am totally honest. At least if you take "gay" to mean practising homosexual. It would be a bit like being a "gambling" muslim, a "drinking" muslim, a "high interest loan shark" muslim.

You can certainly be homosexual and muslim but I don't see how you can sincerely practise both concurrently. You'll literally have to sacrifice one for the other.

I know which one I'd choose!
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.
Paul1

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Muslims complain Eastenders makes them seem homophobic

#2  Postby Oeditor » Mar 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Paul1 wrote:On the latest plot, spokesman Tahir Shah said: “EastEnders is famous for its gritty and realistic storylines but we cannot condone such violence from a Muslim character.”
Oh dear! The soaps have all sorts of people bashing and killing each other, not to mention jumping into bed. Why should Muslims be an exception? There are plenty in gaol, so some of them must go off the rails occasionally.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Paul G » Mar 30, 2010 5:22 pm

Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Beatsong » Mar 30, 2010 10:55 pm

The Muslim Public Affairs Committee has already criticised the gay storyline and said last year that the BBC had missed the chance to present a "normal friendly Muslim character" to the British public.

Because gays can't possibly be "normal" or "friendly". ie, we're homophobic.

On the latest plot, spokesman Tahir Shah said: “EastEnders is famous for its gritty and realistic storylines but we cannot condone such violence from a Muslim character.”

ie, we object to be portrayed as homophobic.

:rofl:
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby z8000783 » Mar 30, 2010 11:08 pm

"Anyone who suggests we are homophobic should be executed. Gay people are basically Men who want to be women so we should make their wish come true." said a Muslim spokesman

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Aurlito » Mar 30, 2010 11:15 pm

Why Muslims are so stimulated by what western society thinks of them. it must be hard to be a Muslim in Europe. I remember In RDF there was a thread about a young Muslim gay coming out to his parents. his story was sympathizing and sad.
If your thoughts are the same as they were yesterday, your retired.
Aurlito
Banned Troll

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby CarlPierce » Mar 31, 2010 1:33 pm

Should Gays be complaining that one of them was portrayed as muslim rather than 'normal' ?
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby 95Theses » Mar 31, 2010 1:37 pm

Aurlito wrote:Why Muslims are so stimulated by what western society thinks of them. it must be hard to be a Muslim in Europe. I remember In RDF there was a thread about a young Muslim gay coming out to his parents. his story was sympathizing and sad.

A trifecta of gay related threads you've shown up in now.

Admit it, you love it really don't you?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Bertrand Russel

Quoting yourself in your own signature is both narcissistic and plain weird - 95Theses
95Theses
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby james1v » Mar 31, 2010 2:57 pm

Is their anything these non-elected prats wont complain about? :ask: The fact that they are constantly complaining shows how intolerant they are! :roll:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Rollerlocked » Apr 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Muslims complain of accurate portrayal.
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."
-Samuel Putnam
Rollerlocked

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby mmmcheezy » Apr 01, 2010 6:36 pm

Rollerlocked wrote:Muslims complain of accurate portrayal.

:lol:
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Islam