Photography is a sin

and is unIslamic

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Photography is a sin

#1  Postby chairman bill » Sep 12, 2013 7:26 am

Does anyone know where in the Koran it says that photography is a sin, and did Fox Talbot know?

Now Fatwa against photography!
http://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2013/09/11/now-fatwa-against-photography
India's leading Islamic seminary Darul Uloom Deoband has issued a fatwa branding photography ‘unlawful and a sin’.
Mufti Abdul Qasim Nomani, Mohtamim (Vice-Chancellor) of the institution, has said Islam does not permit videotaping of marriages or taking of pictures to save as mementos.

"Photography is un-Islamic. Muslims are not allowed to get their photos clicked unless it is for an identity card or for making a passport," he was quoted as telling the Press Trust of India over phone.

Saudi Arabia allows photographers inside Makkah and live telecast of namaz and Hajj on TV across the world.

Mufti Nomani said Saudi Arabia “can do it, but they will not allow it”. (cont)
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Photography is a sin

#2  Postby mattthomas » Sep 12, 2013 7:29 am

chairman bill wrote:Does anyone know where in the Koran it says that photography is a sin, and did Fox Talbot know?

Now Fatwa against photography!
http://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2013/09/11/now-fatwa-against-photography
India's leading Islamic seminary Darul Uloom Deoband has issued a fatwa branding photography ‘unlawful and a sin’.
Mufti Abdul Qasim Nomani, Mohtamim (Vice-Chancellor) of the institution, has said Islam does not permit videotaping of marriages or taking of pictures to save as mementos.

"Photography is un-Islamic. Muslims are not allowed to get their photos clicked unless it is for an identity card or for making a passport," he was quoted as telling the Press Trust of India over phone.

Saudi Arabia allows photographers inside Makkah and live telecast of namaz and Hajj on TV across the world.

Mufti Nomani said Saudi Arabia “can do it, but they will not allow it”. (cont)

These people are so fucking boring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
mattthomas

Print view this post

#3  Postby trubble76 » Sep 12, 2013 7:56 am

So basically, anything other that living in the dirt and shit, while beating one of your many slaves, while threatening to kill anyone that doesn't live like you is Un-Islamic. What a crappy religion.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby natselrox » Sep 12, 2013 8:07 am

What a bunch of annoying twats.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#5  Postby DougC » Sep 14, 2013 12:50 am

natselrox wrote:What a bunch of annoying twats.

:rofl:
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby DaveD » Sep 14, 2013 1:29 am

This is Abul Qasim Nomani. Looks very camera shy, doesn't he?
DaveD

Name: Dave Davis
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Onyx8 » Sep 14, 2013 1:37 am

He's got a smartphone in his hand. If that's him.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby MrFungus420 » Sep 16, 2013 6:40 am

Should we start a pool as to when the first person is killed because of this?
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#9  Postby Ironclad » Sep 16, 2013 11:20 am

Will Al-queda video tape the event. Can they anymore? Kinda pissed on their chips, this fatwa has.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Aern Rakesh » Sep 16, 2013 12:20 pm

I'm pretty sure the injunction (i.e. the Islamic one, not this current fatwa) was initially against depicting the human form. Which is why so much of Islamic art is geometric.

As the article points out, they allow cameras inside Mecca so this guy is going to have trouble proving his point, but I imagine that is his starting point.

Here's Wiki on the subject:
Aniconism in Islam is a proscription in Islam against the creation of images of sentient living beings. The most absolute proscription is of images of God in Islam, followed by depictions of Muhammad, and then Islamic prophets and the relatives of Muhammad, but the depiction of all humans and animals is discouraged in the hadith and by the long tradition of Islamic authorities, especially Sunni ones. This has led to Islamic art being dominated by Islamic geometric patterns, calligraphy and the barely representational foliage patterns of the arabesque; but figurative art still has a strong tradition, especially on a small scale in private works for the home or palace. The proliferation of photographic and filmed images today has led to controversy, with some religious authorities stating, for example, that all television is un-Islamic; but this is not a widely held position.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Clive Durdle » Sep 16, 2013 12:30 pm

I make jokes when I am photographed that my soul has been captured or that my picture won't come out because I am a vampire. There is something about this technology!
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Agrippina » Sep 16, 2013 12:39 pm

I don't know why I find this amusing. :grin:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#13  Postby physalis17 » Sep 17, 2013 9:17 am

Ironclad wrote:Will Al-queda video tape the event. Can they anymore? Kinda pissed on their chips, this fatwa has.

That is a very good point and that was the first thing that came to mind. What's Al Kayeeeda gonna do to get their message to their bros? Go back to snail mail? I don't understand how modern technology is teh devil in different religions since they aren't in their books to begin with. How can something be a sin if it doesn't exist? :think:
"It is clear from the New Testament that they all expected the Second Coming in their own lifetime. And, worse still, they had a reason, and one which you will find very embarrassing. Their Master had told them so."

-C.S. Lewis
physalis17

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Oeditor » Sep 18, 2013 6:15 pm

"Aniconism" - surely the Word of the Month! Wikepedia says
The Quran, the Islamic holy book, does not explicitly prohibit the depiction of human figures; it merely condemns idolatry.[1][2] Interdictions of figurative representation are present in the hadith, among a dozen of the hadith recorded during the latter part of the period when they were being written down. Because these hadith are tied to particular events in the life of the Islamic prophet, Muhammad, they need to be interpreted in order to be applied in any general manner.
(My bold) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aniconism_in_Islam
What that means is that it's not merely made-up shit, it's made up shit about made up shit, subsequently well stirred by devoted coprophiliacs.
You can safely assume that there is no valid reason for banning photography but plenty of religious maniacs keen to ban it except when they're being photographed banning it or something else.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby iamthereforeithink » Sep 18, 2013 6:24 pm

This sounds like a good idea. I can do without seeing the shitty hijab/ skullcap covered faces of these folk in the media all the time.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Return to Islam