Political and Legal Status of Apostates in Islam

A Publication of the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Political and Legal Status of Apostates in Islam

#1  Postby HomerJay » Dec 03, 2013 4:38 pm

The Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain and Atheist Alliance International have just published a new report on the Political and Legal Status of Apostates in Islam with the support of The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science UK.

The report examines sources for laws that prohibit apostasy from Islam, reviews legislation and government policies in various countries that persecute apostates and blasphemers, and highlights the cases of some of the many persecuted individuals, with a focus on atheists, secularists and freethinkers.You can read it: Apostasy_Report_Web

This report examines sources of Sharia law, namely the Quran, Hadith and Islamic jurisprudence which form the basis for laws that prohibit apostasy from Islam in a large number of countries. In countries such as Malaysia, Morocco, Jordan and Oman, punishments for apostasy include fines, imprisonment, flogging and exclusion from civil or family rights (such as the right to child custody). In 11 countries—Afghanistan, Egypt, Iran, Maldives, Mauritania, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, UAE, and Yemen—apostasy is punishable by the death penalty. Other countries without apostasy laws, such as Pakistan and Bangladesh, use blasphemy and other religious protection laws to persecute apostates.

This report reviews legislation and government policies that persecute apostates, and highlights individual cases to provide a better understanding of the appalling situation of apostates from Islam.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Political and Legal Status of Apostates in Islam

#2  Postby Sendraks » Dec 03, 2013 4:45 pm

Depressing. Unsurprisingly so. :(
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Oeditor » Dec 04, 2013 3:55 pm

Other countries without apostasy laws, such as Pakistan and Bangladesh, use blasphemy and other religious protection laws to persecute apostates.
Coming to a courtroom near you, if Baroness Warsi gets the OICs international blasphemy laws implemented.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby chairman bill » Dec 04, 2013 4:03 pm

Those countries that do not sign up to, and abide by the UN Declaration on Human Rights, should be subject to trade embargoes by the civilised states of the world. Isolate them, economically, and culturally, no Olympics, no World Cup, no trade, no tourism, nothing, until they wake up to the fact that their inhuman laws need changing.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby HomerJay » Dec 04, 2013 4:50 pm

It's Andrew Brown and it's an old story but a timely reminder:

How a creationist fatwa proved a shocking example of Wahhabi Islam's influence

Usama Hasan was the imam of a mosque in Leyton until he was driven from the post by death threats. This is perhaps [!] the most extreme reaction there has ever been to an article on Comment is free: the death threats were the response of a section of his congregation to a piece he wrote here defending the truth of evolution. He kept his head down for a couple of years after that, to protect his family, but has now resurfaced as a fellow at the Quilliam Foundation, the counter-extremism thinktank.

At the weekend, he was in Salisbury, at the Muslim Institute's Winter Gathering, and I chaired a discussion with him there on creationism among Muslims. In close-up his story was even more shocking than it appears in summary. A visiting Saudi cleric issued a fatwa, from the Green Lane mosque in Birmingham, that supported his enemies in the congregation: not only did it explain that anyone who denied creationism was an apostate, who could (and should, in an ideal state) be killed, but that his support for women going bareheaded if they wished, and for a secular form of government, were also sufficient grounds for a death sentence.

Since these judgments were circulated in jihadi circles, Hasan and his family were in real danger as a result and were granted police protection for a while.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... sama-hasan

Still, OTOH it's their culture and who are we to appear too superior?
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Blackadder » Dec 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Sendraks wrote:Depressing. Unsurprisingly so. :(

If you happen to be one of those apostates, as I am, and have received death threats, as I have, it's a bit worse than depressing. Islam is a beastly religion, followed by many (probably the majority) who ignore its beastliness but also by many who are quite happy to enact the most depraved forms of violence advocated by their grotesque scriptures.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Islam