Renewed warnings of extremism on UK university campuses

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Renewed warnings of extremism on UK university campuses

#81  Postby matthewharrison » Jul 19, 2015 4:14 pm

Peter Brown wrote:Well it was aimed at Thomas as I don't regard anything he says as remotely useful to the debate anymore, it’s just pure risible back biting childlike behaviour and I’m replying at his level of debate and being just as stupid, back biting and obviously childlike, at least you are making the effort to make a case until you start looking like you are supporting his behaviour and posts.

This rings true for me.

Anyway, this weekend there have been a series of anti-Islam rallies (protests; not sure if you all call them rallies) around Australia. A mate and I went to the one in our nearest city to be part of the counter protest. As it turned out, there was virtually no counter protesters at all. Anyway, what I found interesting is the difference between these people when you "debate" them online and when you meet them in public. Online it's all about Muslims coming to rape our sisters and marry our daughters, and chop our heads off with a knife. So I was expecting some wild shit in the flesh. But they were all banging on and on about Halal Certification (they call it an "Halal Tax"). They were so desperate to appear "normal" that they have adopted this Halal issue to presumably cloak their underlying bigotry. Really weird day.
matthewharrison
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#83  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 19, 2015 4:21 pm

11:10 pm (Thai time)

Peter Brown wrote:Lets save blip the trouble, I'm walking away for a while so you can go cool down.

11:19 pm (Thai time)

Posts a video with no context or argument, or even relevance to the conversation.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#84  Postby matthewharrison » Jul 19, 2015 4:26 pm

:lol:

Actually, I meant to mention in my last post... The weirdest thing of the whole rally was repeated claims by a lot of the people there that Islam isn't a religion. Utterly bizarre. Has anyone every heard of such a position?
matthewharrison
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#85  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 19, 2015 4:27 pm

matthewharrison wrote::lol:

Actually, I meant to mention in my last post... The weirdest thing of the whole rally was repeated claims by a lot of the people there that Islam isn't a religion. Utterly bizarre. Has anyone every heard of such a position?

Peter's espoused it half a hundred times.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#86  Postby matthewharrison » Jul 19, 2015 4:31 pm

Peter Brown wrote:Renewed warnings of extremism on UK university campuses
http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2015/ ... y-campuses

According to the new research, "The speakers featured have suggested that there is a Western war against Islam; supported individuals convicted of terrorism offences; expressed intolerance of non-believers and/or minorities; and espoused religious law as a method of socio-political governance – opposing democracy in the process."

The report notes the high volume of students involved in Islamist inspired terror attacks who were studying at UK universities when they were believed to have been radicalised.

Events were "most likely to take place in London," and several guest speakers appeared in reports repeatedly. The University of Westminster, Queen Mary University of London, the School of Oriental and African Studies, Aston University and King's College London among others all featured regularly in lists of 'worst offenders' for the number and type of events held with radical preachers.

From data gathered at universities across the UK, the report found that the majority of events with extremist speakers "host just one orator, and rarely act as debates. Instead, they tend to function as unchallenged platforms where extreme or intolerant speakers are presented as religious or political authorities."

A very small volume of planned events featuring extremist speakers at university campuses were cancelled.

In contrast, the report also notes instances of secularist speakers and atheist students being harassed or having their events "violently threatened" by Islamists.

I wonder if this is happening everywhere and not just the UK?
you may name call me Cassandra

It's not happening in Australia. Although, our Muslim population is probably considerably less than yours.
matthewharrison
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#87  Postby Peter Brown » Jul 19, 2015 4:33 pm

I'm trying to not post really I am.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#88  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 19, 2015 4:34 pm

Peter Brown wrote:I'm trying to not post really I am.

And failing miserably, apparently.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#89  Postby Peter Brown » Jul 19, 2015 4:37 pm

Yes, from Muslims.

The Quran (and Hadith) is meant to cover everything from the body politic to going to the toilet.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#90  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Jul 19, 2015 4:39 pm

Peter Brown wrote:

Yes, from Muslims.

The Quran (and Hadith) is meant to cover everything from the body politic to going to the toilet.

And I have heard it from Christians about Christianity. Often to excuse the fact that they want to insert their religious rules into government and force everyone to obey them. Both are bad and wrong.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#91  Postby Peter Brown » Jul 19, 2015 5:04 pm

Yes and we should heed that warning. It is what Hitchen told us and Hitchens even says in this clip people with Muslim backgrounds warn us about too.

but please note at the very end Hitchens says about religion or Islam, is not when it is in the name of religion when we have a problem with the faith, it is when it is actually part of the religion we have a problem, and if Muslims don't change that then change has to be imposed from outside.
Last edited by Peter Brown on Jul 19, 2015 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#92  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 19, 2015 5:08 pm

Peter Brown wrote:Yes and we should heed that warning. It is what Hitchen told us and Hitchen even says in this clip people with Muslim backgrounds warn us about too.

Thought you were going away for a while?
Also Hitchens is neither the Pope of atheism, nor an expert on Islam.
These videos do nothing to support your blanket statements about Islam.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#93  Postby matthewharrison » Jul 19, 2015 5:15 pm

Peter Brown wrote:

Yes, from Muslims.

Have you got any reputable references to back that up?
matthewharrison
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#94  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 19, 2015 5:26 pm

Peter Brown wrote:Yes and we should heed that warning. It is what Hitchen told us and Hitchens even says in this clip people with Muslim backgrounds warn us about too.

but please note at the very end Hitchens says about religion or Islam, is not when it is in the name of religion when we have a problem with the faith, it is when it is actually part of the religion we have a problem, and if Muslims don't change that then change has to be imposed from outside.

Our Hitchens, who art in Heaven; hallowed be thy name.

Hitchens 3:17 'is not when it is in the name of religion when we have a problem with the faith, it is when it is actually part of the religion we have a problem'

Person of Muslim Background 10:23 'I'z agree with da Hitch'

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#95  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 19, 2015 5:28 pm

matthewharrison wrote:
Peter Brown wrote:

Yes, from Muslims.

Peter knows them personally, don't you understand? Peter's many Muslim friends tell him lots of things which he kindly shares with us here on a routine basis. All those things his Muslim friends tell Peter justify why he considers ALL Muslims to be guilty of the actions of a tiny minority, presumably including his many Muslim friends.... particularly those who are currently afraid for their lives as they live in war-zones.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#96  Postby matthewharrison » Jul 19, 2015 5:29 pm

Some of my best friends are Muslamic...
matthewharrison
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#97  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 19, 2015 5:37 pm

matthewharrison wrote:Some of my best friends are Muslamic...

I live in a Muslamic area and work in another Muslamic area, and clearly I am constantly in extreme danger being pretty much the only foreigner there and heathen to boot, and thus the perfect target for all the Muslamics who just want to murder and rape and rob and stab and steal and beat and destroy all non-Muslamics. It's got to be a record of same stature that I am still alive 12 years later. I am sure Peter's friends will reassure him that I am on their hit-list, but they've just been a bit busy.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#98  Postby Peter Brown » Jul 19, 2015 9:56 pm

matthewharrison wrote:
Peter Brown wrote:

Yes, from Muslims.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/articles/158625/islam-a-comprehensive-way-of-life
Islam is a complete and comprehensive way of life leading to a balanced way of living. Islam brings civilization and happiness to man. Islamic principles and teachings can provide realistic, fair and objective solutions to the prevention of individual, familial, social and international problems which are threatening the existence of human communities throughout the world.

A spiritual belief that does not deal with social behavior, economic relations and international organizations is as erroneous as the social doctrine that does not consider spiritual belief, morality and behavior.

http://discover.islamway.net/articles.php?article_id=2
The word "Islam" is an Arabic word which means "submission to the will of God". This word comes from the same root as the Arabic word "salam", which means "peace". As such, the religion of Islam teaches that in order to achieve true peace of mind and surety of heart, one must submit to God and live according to His Divinely revealed Law. The most important truth that God revealed to mankind is that there is nothing divine or worthy of being worshipped except for Almighty God, thus all human beings should submit to Him.

then much further down that page

Since the teachings of Islamic encompass all aspects of life and ethics, God-consciousness is encouraged in all human affairs.

Above are two Muslim sites because if I link anything else you get the usual they are biased or the implied bigot, Islamophobe, racist ad nausium. I'm sure you can find others. But it all comes down to Muhammad had an idea for Utopia, just like Hitler, and we all know how that turned out.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#99  Postby matthewharrison » Jul 20, 2015 2:18 am

None of those say that Islam isn't a religion. :scratch:
matthewharrison
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#100  Postby Anontheist » Jul 20, 2015 3:22 am

Peter Brown wrote: But it all comes down to Muhammad had an idea for Utopia, just like Hitler, and we all know how that turned out.

Nice Godwin. We should start keeping some kind of score.
Anontheist

Name: Simon

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Islam