UK Army Fights Plans to Build Mosque

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

UK Army Fights Plans to Build Mosque

#1  Postby Alan B » Mar 11, 2010 10:34 pm

I posted this on another place recently and I thought it could do with some airing here. Perhaps we could have a Muslim POV for the reason for two minarets at this location.

Alan Kirkland, a local campaigner, said: 'Local people are simply flabbergasted that 100ft high minarets can be built right next to the Royal Military Academy.

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: 'Defence Estates has objected to the plans as such a tall building would give oversight into Defence property which could prove a security risk.'

here
map
One would ask why would two 100ft high Minarets be needed in this location (see map link). I know the Camberley area quite well; to the South of the proposed Mosque is mostly shops and very little residential and to the north is open countryside owned by the MoD. The main road on the map is the A30.

Who are the Callers going to address from these tall towers in a mostly white Anglo-Saxon 'middle-class' community?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: UK Army Fights Plans to Build Mosque

#2  Postby Wiðercora » Mar 11, 2010 10:37 pm

400 yards is hardly 'right next to'. There's a dirty great lake and woodland between the two.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Alan B » Mar 11, 2010 10:46 pm

Wiðercora wrote:400 yards is hardly 'right next to'. There's a dirty great lake and woodland between the two.

The trees in that area would be overlooked by the 100ft minarets.
And, of course, the MoD being paranoid about safety and terrorists (sometimes quite rightly) would probably consider 400yds line of sight is not very far.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby StickyWillie » Mar 11, 2010 10:49 pm

Alan B wrote:
Who are the Callers going to address from these tall towers in a mostly white Anglo-Saxon 'middle-class' community?

Us.
It's all part of a muslim takeover sponsored by the complacency that comes with civilisation. Once these barbarians can see into the parade ground they'll be complaining that the presence of guard dogs is an offence to their islamic sensibilities and the dogs will go. Then female cadets will be forced to wear bags on their heads because the sight of a female face is offensive and then the male cadets will be deemed offensive because they represent the oppression which the crusader christian whites have levied upon the muslims over the millennia and the soldiers will go... and so on. And the Ministry of Defence will tug its forelock and cowtow for fear of upsetting these wonderful contributors to our society. Next thing you know they'll have an outpost in Camp Bastion and will be coming and going as they please with AKs stuffed up their burkas.

We're fucked.
It's still a plant stupid.
StickyWillie

Name: Dave Rice
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Millefleur » Mar 11, 2010 10:57 pm

I would have thought the protests of 1,000 local residents and the intention of demolishing a listed Victorian building would have been enough reason for the council to refuse. Are the minarets for decorative purposes or will the locals hear the call to prayer over loudspeakers 5 times a day?
This post was brought to you by Millefleur's Mature Responses™

Millefleur

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Alan B » Mar 12, 2010 12:13 pm

Latest news:
here
However, elements within the Bengali Welfare Association, which runs the mosque, have aligned themselves to Tablighi Jamaat — a dogmatic, ultra-conservative group whose controversial mega-mosque project close to the 2012 Olympics site in London was recently rebuffed. This new mosque will not be in the interests of all British Muslims as it will allocate less than a fifth of the space to female worshippers. But there is nothing in Islamic theology that legitimises a misogynistic apartheid in the house of God. Nor does the history of Islamic architecture show that mosques must have towering minarets.

and here

News flash:
Camberley Council
At a special meeting of Surrey Heath Borough Council yesterday evening (March 10), planning permission was refused for the applications for a mosque and demolition of the existing buildings at 282 London Road, Camberley.
My Bold.

It seems common sense has prevailed. :cheers:
It hasn't said yet if there is going to be an appeal - I expect the Tablighi Jamaat will consider this option.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Islam