Video reveals true colours of the vast majority of Muslims

... at least in Norway

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Video reveals true colours of the vast majority of Muslims

#1  Postby jez9999 » Nov 03, 2013 12:12 pm

=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

Re: Video reveals true colours of the vast majority of Muslims

#2  Postby Blackadder » Nov 03, 2013 12:29 pm

I don't doubt that the majority of devout muslims hold ugly views about homosexuality and sexual relationships in general but this video isn't really going to demonstrate anything other than the power of peer pressure.

I've sat in mosques and been through the exact same thing. I know that even when most of the congregation are bored senseless with the imam getting hot under the collar about stuff they frankly couldn't give a shit about, they will still raise their hands so as not to be seen as some kind of bad muslim. I'm not defending the viewpoints expressed in the video, just saying that expecting many people to object in such a setting would be like a Nazi rally in the 1930s being asked "so who thinks the Jews are OK really?".
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby ED209 » Nov 03, 2013 12:40 pm

Is that a 'reverse godwin' :scratch:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#4  Postby Aern Rakesh » Nov 03, 2013 12:46 pm

Blackadder wrote:I've sat in mosques and been through the exact same thing. I know that even when most of the congregation are bored senseless with the imam getting hot under the collar about stuff they frankly couldn't give a shit about, they will still raise their hands so as not to be seen as some kind of bad muslim. I'm not defending the viewpoints expressed in the video, just saying that expecting many people to object in such a setting would be like a Nazi rally in the 1930s being asked "so who thinks the Jews are OK really?".

Back when I was still taken to church with my parents I sat through the same kinds of thing. In fact, once I was sitting with friends, playing with a friend's key chain, which had a tiny little pocket knife on it. I managed to cut myself so badly I was bleeding all over the place and had to leave. It was a welcome escape from the "you're going to hell" sermon!

This happened at a time when our really jovial, totally in-offensive minister had retired and been replaced with an old guy with a penchant for fire and brimstone. Which didn't turn our congregation into a bunch of witch hunters, it just made for some really boring sermons, and was the final nail in the coffin as far as I was concerned.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby HomerJay » Nov 03, 2013 1:33 pm

Dunned it already

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/news- ... 42296.html

Sam Harris raised it on his blog, is it Islamophobic to describe these as extreme views, or is it Islamophobic to describe them as mainstream views?

Or is it Islamophobic to express either view? :lol:

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/isla ... amophobia2
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby jez9999 » Nov 03, 2013 2:51 pm

I don't really agree with Sam Harris in that blog post; he seems to assume that the vast majority of Muslims aren't people with these horrible views. But doesn't he spend a lot of time saying that the true Islam promotes them? We really need to start calling the 90% that (supposedly) disagree with them what they really are: pseudo-Muslims. They are not "moderate". There is no way to reject fundamental teachings of your religion without simply not being an actual Muslim. You're a pseudo-Muslim. how can we get that term to catch on? :-)
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

#7  Postby Blackadder » Nov 03, 2013 3:03 pm

ED209 wrote:Is that a 'reverse godwin' :scratch:

It's the Modified Godwin With Extra Pepperoni. :grin:
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Muslims admit: We're all violent, homophobic misogynists

#8  Postby Shrunk » Nov 03, 2013 5:53 pm

This video is apparently from an Islamic peace (sic) conference in Norway:

BTW, isn't the hatless guy on the right the moderator from the infamous Hamza Tzortzis/Lawrence Krauss debate?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Muslims admit: We're all violent, homophobic misogynists

#9  Postby I'm With Stupid » Nov 03, 2013 6:04 pm

I tend to avoid listening to anyone who purports to speak for all Muslims.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby HomerJay » Nov 03, 2013 6:05 pm

Mmm, third thread now.

The guy in the picture is too old to be Tzortzis, it looks like his collegue Yusuf Chambers to me. Another apologist convert.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Shrunk » Nov 03, 2013 9:07 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:I tend to avoid listening to anyone who purports to speak for all Muslims.

No, and it would be a mistake to think that a group of people with nothing better to do than attend a "conference" given by imbeciles provides a representative sample. What I find most interesting about the video is its total cluelessness. Do they really think that the main complaint people have about Islam is that it has too much of a diversity of views, and that its most extremist elements do not represent the views of the average believer? I can't even comprehend the thought processes involved here.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby quisquose » Nov 03, 2013 10:36 pm

I'm slightly suspicious about the bloke sat in the front row, on the right. I think he is infidel.
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby Shrunk » Nov 04, 2013 12:53 am

BTW the version of the video I posted was uploaded by the group who organized the conference depicted. It has over 76,000 views, but so far only seven comments, all positive.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Peter Brown » Nov 04, 2013 8:15 pm

They will only change when they want change. For Christian Europe it took the experience of two great wars, the question they need to ask is do they learn by our history and change before their great war crushes them?
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#15  Postby Nostalgia » Nov 05, 2013 2:37 am

jez9999 wrote:I don't really agree with Sam Harris in that blog post; he seems to assume that the vast majority of Muslims aren't people with these horrible views. But doesn't he spend a lot of time saying that the true Islam promotes them? We really need to start calling the 90% that (supposedly) disagree with them what they really are: pseudo-Muslims. They are not "moderate". There is no way to reject fundamental teachings of your religion without simply not being an actual Muslim. You're a pseudo-Muslim. how can we get that term to catch on? :-)

I don't disagree with any of that, but why focus on Islam? Surely the same can be said for all Abrahamic faiths?
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Oeditor » Nov 06, 2013 6:59 pm

MacIver wrote:I don't disagree with any of that, but why focus on Islam? Surely the same can be said for all Abrahamic faiths?
Maybe because Islam is the only Abrahamic religion that can easily rustle up and film an audience approving of the ritual murder of adulterers and homosexuals and agreeing that it is "the most perfect of punishments"?
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby NineBerry » Nov 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Go to a teaparty meeting and ask the audience whether they think they are "lunatic extremists" or "the average American citizen". Then ask them on different political positions.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#18  Postby NineBerry » Nov 06, 2013 7:43 pm

Oeditor wrote:
MacIver wrote:I don't disagree with any of that, but why focus on Islam? Surely the same can be said for all Abrahamic faiths?
Maybe because Islam is the only Abrahamic religion that can easily rustle up and film an audience approving of the ritual murder of adulterers and homosexuals and agreeing that it is "the most perfect of punishments"?

NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby Onyx8 » Nov 07, 2013 3:38 am

Is that Woody Allen? Great stand up.

Read the sign at 3:58. What the hell is "FOOUNDED"? What is it with these people that they can't proofread? :lol:

"The people who are gathered here." I wonder how many there were. Too bad the guy with the camera didn't turn it and show us just how many were supporting Woody here.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby I'm With Stupid » Nov 07, 2013 5:01 am

There are quite a few people there, and they chose him to speak? Excruciating voice. Sounds like Mort from Family Guy. And I thought that was just a stereotype.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Islam