Anglo-Frisian

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Anglo-Frisian

#1  Postby Spearthrower » May 18, 2022 3:43 pm

Sometimes the internet reminds you that it could be one of the most amazing resources to humanity if it weren't for all the, you know, other stuff! :lol:

Back in the day, it would've taken a serious investment of time to discover just those specific details contained in the above presentation. This would've involved paying for Higher Education, reading numerous historical and linguistic books, perhaps visiting the area - months of time. Sure, you would've ultimately had a much deeper and broader understanding of the topic, but then you'd have invested so much time and effort to become specialized to some degree - today, you can watch a 13 minute video to get a really sound overview with lots of detailed examples to give a basis of knowledge.

Of course, not all sources are equal, and I think that's something you still get much more rapidly and coherently from education than you can get from reading/watching stuff on t'net.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Re: Anglo-Frisian

#2  Postby scott1328 » May 18, 2022 6:19 pm

Spearthrower wrote:

Sometimes the internet reminds you that it could be one of the most amazing resources to humanity if it weren't for all the, you know, other stuff! :lol:

Back in the day, it would've taken a serious investment of time to discover just those specific details contained in the above presentation. This would've involved paying for Higher Education, reading numerous historical and linguistic books, perhaps visiting the area - months of time. Sure, you would've ultimately had a much deeper and broader understanding of the topic, but then you'd have invested so much time and effort to become specialized to some degree - today, you can watch a 13 minute video to get a really sound overview with lots of detailed examples to give a basis of knowledge.

Of course, not all sources are equal, and I think that's something you still get much more rapidly and coherently from education than you can get from reading/watching stuff on t'net.

I've been watching LangFocus videos for several years now.

Another related channel that I find equally interesting is

https://www.youtube.com/user/NativLang/videos

He covers similar topics but with cute cartoon animation as well!
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby The_Metatron » May 18, 2022 6:45 pm

My maternal line is from Friesland. She was married in Sneek to a Beeksma. I’ve seen their original signatures in the register at the stadthuis. I’ve seen the tiny little villages where they grew up. The common words to English there showed an obvious connection, I thought then. Though the spelling and pronunciation sure are a stretch. The sound and rhythm of the spoken language is different enough to get lost easily.

Many there spoke better English than I do.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Spearthrower » May 18, 2022 6:51 pm

The_Metatron wrote:

I've had the same experience in many places throughout the Netherlands - perfect grammar and intonation with only that slight Dutch accent to give away they're speaking a 2nd, 3rd etc. language.

Just hearing people speak, whether Frisian or Dutch, makes me feel like I almost catch what they're saying - like something in my brain has captured the main thrust even as the rest of my brain flails around trying to make sense of the words.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Spearthrower » May 18, 2022 6:53 pm

scott1328 wrote:
I've been watching LangFocus videos for several years now.

Another related channel that I find equally interesting is

https://www.youtube.com/user/NativLang/videos

He covers similar topics but with cute cartoon animation as well!

I tend to watch more about topics concerned with dead or ancient languages (PIE's my main interest), which is how I ended up being recommended these.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby The_Metatron » May 18, 2022 7:18 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:

I've had the same experience in many places throughout the Netherlands - perfect grammar and intonation with only that slight Dutch accent to give away they're speaking a 2nd, 3rd etc. language.

Just hearing people speak, whether Frisian or Dutch, makes me feel like I almost catch what they're saying - like something in my brain has captured the main thrust even as the rest of my brain flails around trying to make sense of the words.

Exactly like that. It snaps into sync for a word here and there.

What wonderful fun it was.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby The_Piper » May 19, 2022 12:51 am

We have Amish people around here, they speak some kind of Dutch, or is it misnamed? Oh yeah, I have the most amazing resource that exists to find out in 11 seconds. :) The fact that the internet exists to learn about so much, for me never gets old or dull.
Too bad some people are dull and only care to use it to teach themselves fear, hate, and bullshit. :smoke:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby kiore » May 19, 2022 3:47 am

The_Piper wrote:We have Amish people around here, they speak some kind of Dutch, or is it misnamed? Oh yeah, I have the most amazing resource that exists to find out in 11 seconds. :) The fact that the internet exists to learn about so much, for me never gets old or dull.
Too bad some people are dull and only care to use it to teach themselves fear, hate, and bullshit. :smoke:

I know it called "Dutch" but the word for german in german is "Deutsch".. and the various religious groups speaking germanic languages in the USA are speaking german dialects removed by several hundred years from origins.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#9  Postby The_Piper » May 19, 2022 10:44 am

That's pretty cool. :)
I watched the Frisian video but it was a little hard to follow.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby The_Metatron » May 19, 2022 2:51 pm

kiore wrote:
The_Piper wrote:We have Amish people around here, they speak some kind of Dutch, or is it misnamed? Oh yeah, I have the most amazing resource that exists to find out in 11 seconds. :) The fact that the internet exists to learn about so much, for me never gets old or dull.

I know it called "Dutch" but the word for german in german is "Deutsch".. and the various religious groups speaking germanic languages in the USA are speaking german dialects removed by several hundred years from origins.

That explains much. I’ve heard “Pennsylvania Dutch” spoken, and it didn’t sound like Dutch (Nederlands) to me at all.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Spearthrower » May 20, 2022 6:13 am

Frieslanders and many people from parts of the East coast and central England are ethnically identical from a genetic perspective. Basically, the Frisians populated parts of the English mainland years before the Angles, Jutes, Saxons etc., and probably continued to inter-migrate through continuous trade all the way up to and after the founding of the English kingdom.

https://academic.oup.com/mbe/article/19 ... ogin=false

Abstract

British history contains several periods of major cultural change. It remains controversial as to how much these periods coincided with substantial immigration from continental Europe, even for those that occurred most recently. In this study, we examine genetic data for evidence of male immigration at particular times into Central England and North Wales. To do this, we used 12 biallelic polymorphisms and six microsatellite markers to define high-resolution Y chromosome haplotypes in a sample of 313 males from seven towns located along an east-west transect from East Anglia to North Wales. The Central English towns were genetically very similar, whereas the two North Welsh towns differed significantly both from each other and from the Central English towns. When we compared our data with an additional 177 samples collected in Friesland and Norway, we found that the Central English and Frisian samples were statistically indistinguishable. Using novel population genetic models that incorporate both mass migration and continuous gene flow, we conclude that these striking patterns are best explained by a substantial migration of Anglo-Saxon Y chromosomes into Central England (contributing 50%–100% to the gene pool at that time) but not into North Wales.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby The_Metatron » May 20, 2022 2:12 pm

It was our plan all along. Mu ha ha ha.

Shit.

I wasn’t supposed to say.
The_Metatron