The Effects of Swearing

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The Effects of Swearing

#1  Postby Tzelemel » Mar 24, 2012 10:34 am

About two days ago, I saw a little clip from Stephen Fry's Planet Word where they conducted a Stroop test but it didn't seem to answer some questions I had. So I decided to create a Stroop Test that would address my questions.

Would you guys mind trying it out for me and telling me whether which version of the test is more difficult: the first part or the second part?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4w7z8bi6J0[/youtube]

EDIT: Reuploaded a better version of my video.
Last edited by Tzelemel on Mar 24, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tzelemel

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Effects of Swearing

#2  Postby mindhack » Mar 24, 2012 11:42 am

This is my experience of the test.

Maybe it's just me and am I color blind or something, but I struggled from beginning to end. I wasn't able to determine the colors quickly enough. Too much blackness compared to the colors I guess. Not sure if the swearing words added anything to the challange. I'm not a native english speaker, though hearing me slip and say "cock" and "dildo" made me suppress an urge to laugh.
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Beatsong » Mar 24, 2012 12:43 pm

First thing: I don't know if it's just my computer but the initial example "Orange" comes up as white. The next screen then says "the answer should have been yellow, not blue" - which seems absolutely bizarre and incomprehensible.

Ignoring that and presuming I understand what the test is trying to do however, I think the problem is you wouldn't actually get meaningful results from self-reporting of subjective experience on something like this. You'd need to get people pushing buttons or something that you could measure their response time objectively.

For myself, I do think that the swear words were a little distracting, and made it a bit harder. But I couldn't be sure. I was able to do all of the words (I think) so it may be that while I felt that sense of distraction, it didn't actually affect my response time. It may be that I felt the same distraction from the meaning of the words in both sections of the test, I don't know.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Mar 24, 2012 2:12 pm

I found the swearing one a tiny bit harder but that might only be because I'm used to the normal one. The first couple of words caught me off guard but I managed to pull it back after, except for that one colour I didn't know what to call. I've never found the test difficult in the first place either way.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Tzelemel » Mar 24, 2012 2:46 pm

Yipes! I'd better go and fix it.

As for pressing buttons, I wish I could be that high tech, I really do.

EDIT: There. All fixed now. I've altered one of the colours that didn't come out quite right, so it should be easier to identify it.
Tzelemel

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby epepke » Mar 24, 2012 3:20 pm

I found the swearing one easier.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Linguistics