Monkey Typing For Infinite = Shakespeare?

Discuss the language of the universe.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Would A Monkey Typing For Infinity Produce The Works Of Shakespeare?

1) It's certain the monkey would not produce the works of Shakespeare
10%
2) It's possible the monkey would produce the works of Shakespeare, but it's very unlikely
8%
3) It's possible the monkey would produce the works of Shakespeare, but it's neither particularly likely or unlikely
No votes
4) It's possible the monkey would produce the works of Shakespeare, and in fact very likely
8%
5) It's certain the monkey would produce the works of Shakespeare
65%
6) Other
8%

Total votes : 49

Monkey Typing For Infinite = Shakespeare?

#1  Postby Kid A » Aug 26, 2010 10:04 am

I know it's an old cookie, but i was thinking recently about the old question; would a monkey typing at random for infinity produce the works of Shakespeare? Infinity is a tricky concept, but it is an interesting example to think about.

So yes what are your thoughts? (I've attached a poll to give some general options)
Kid A

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Monkey Typing For Infinite = Shakespeare?

#2  Postby CookieJon » Aug 26, 2010 10:07 am

Does the monkey type randomly?

Does that make a difference?
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby natselrox » Aug 26, 2010 10:09 am

How on earth is this is a philosophy question? There is a mathematics section, you know.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Aug 26, 2010 10:11 am

I doubt it. It's more likely to bash keys that knock Word off than type out Shakespeare.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby campermon » Aug 26, 2010 10:27 am

Kid A wrote:I know it's an old cookie, but i was thinking recently about the old question; would a monkey typing at random for infinity produce the works of Shakespeare? Infinity is a tricky concept, but it is an interesting example to think about.

So yes what are your thoughts? (I've attached a poll to give some general options)

It wouldn't take infinity for the monkey to produce the works of the bard....Just a very, very long time.

However, if we had an infinite number of monkeys, it'd take no time at all.. ;)
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby natselrox » Aug 26, 2010 10:29 am

Some nutter did the maths.

http://www.nutters.org/docs/monkeys

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#7  Postby campermon » Aug 26, 2010 10:37 am

natselrox wrote:Some nutter did the maths.

http://www.nutters.org/docs/monkeys

:lol:

Saves me the job! :thumbup:

It's raining ... er..cats* and dogs here, so I can't get into the garden to do maintenance (tree branches need sawing off). I was going to calculate the probabilities instead......might do it anyway for the geek credits.

;)

* none of them were harmed... :shifty:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby natselrox » Aug 26, 2010 10:38 am

10 geek points for that. :coffee:

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#9  Postby campermon » Aug 26, 2010 10:42 am

natselrox wrote:10 geek points for that. :coffee:

:awesome:

:geek:
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Animavore » Aug 26, 2010 10:43 am

I thought that there was an infinite number of key combinations so how the fuck could they ever type out Shakespeare or anything like it?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11  Postby campermon » Aug 26, 2010 10:50 am

Animavore wrote:I thought that there was an infinite number of key combinations so how the fuck could they ever type out Shakespeare or anything like it?

I don't think there could be an infinite number of combo's.

Consider the british national lottery. You have to pick 6 numbers from a choice of 49.
For the monkey writing shakespeare, he has to pick x thousand characters from a choice of about 60 (if you include capitals).

edit - In both cases there are only a finite number of combinations
Last edited by campermon on Aug 26, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby natselrox » Aug 26, 2010 10:51 am

Each character can be one of 26 choices. Include the punctuations and spaces....

I'm soooooooo not doing this.

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Animavore » Aug 26, 2010 10:53 am

campermon wrote:
Animavore wrote:I thought that there was an infinite number of key combinations so how the fuck could they ever type out Shakespeare or anything like it?

Consider the british national lottery. You have to pick 6 numbers from a choice of 49.
For the monkey writing shakespeare, he has to pick x thousand characters from a choice of about 60 (if you include capitals).

But in the lottery the same numbers can't come out twice.
With a keyboard you have letters and symbols and a space bar which can be hit any number of times in any order. I severely doubt a monkey bashing away at keys would ever get the complete works of Shakespeare. They'd get something like this.

iqeuhtuf24hfa;vnvgoj, for infinity (I stopped there because I hit a key which made it scroll down to the bottom of the screen very quickly, another problem for the monkey).
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#14  Postby natselrox » Aug 26, 2010 10:56 am

Oh no no ani. Let's simplify this. What is the probability that a monkey playing with a mobile phone will type the number 6592?

If he is allowed to type only 4 digits, then the probability is 1 in 10000. Same with the complete works of Shakespeare.

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Animavore » Aug 26, 2010 10:57 am

natselrox wrote:Oh no no ani. Let's simplify this. What is the probability that a monkey playing with a mobile phone will type the number 6592?

If he is allowed to type only 4 digits, then the probability is 1 in 10000. Same with the complete works of Shakespeare.

I don't buy that. How you going to stop the problem of the monkey pressing ESC or the Window key...etc and knocking it off Word altogether? Or getting lost in the functions of Word?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Preno » Aug 26, 2010 10:59 am

Kid A wrote:I know it's an old cookie, but i was thinking recently about the old question; would a monkey typing at random for infinity produce the works of Shakespeare?
The probability of this happening is 1, but nonetheless it needn't happen.
Preno

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby natselrox » Aug 26, 2010 11:00 am

Animavore wrote:
natselrox wrote:Oh no no ani. Let's simplify this. What is the probability that a monkey playing with a mobile phone will type the number 6592?

I don't buy that. How you going to stop the problem of the monkey pressing ESC or the Window key...etc and knocking it off Word altogether? Or getting lost in the functions of Word?

I think you are joking. :nono:

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Animavore » Aug 26, 2010 11:01 am

natselrox wrote:
Animavore wrote:

Did you see my example above? Did you see how long it took, mashing the keyboard, before I hit something that knocked it off?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19  Postby campermon » Aug 26, 2010 11:01 am

Animavore wrote:
campermon wrote:

But in the lottery the same numbers can't come out twice.
With a keyboard you have letters and symbols and a space bar which can be hit any number of times in any order. I severely doubt a monkey bashing away at keys would ever get the complete works of Shakespeare. They'd get something like this.

iqeuhtuf24hfa;vnvgoj, for infinity (I stopped there because I hit a key which made it scroll down to the bottom of the screen very quickly, another problem for the monkey).

:think:

I'm going to have to go away and think about this.....

;)
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby natselrox » Aug 26, 2010 11:02 am

Animavore wrote:
natselrox wrote:
Animavore wrote:

Did you see my example above? Did you see how long it took, mashing the keyboard, before I hit something that knocked it off?

That key is just one of the many keys and as usual a lot of possible combinations exist where the monkey won'y be touching that key at all.

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Mathematics