Atkins most effective diet for weight loss

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Atkins most effective diet for weight loss

#21  Postby Gallstones » Apr 07, 2010 6:29 am

Warren Dew wrote:
Gallstones wrote:I could never make a lifestyle out of Atkins. I LIKE vegetables and fruit and carbohydrates.

Atkins allows unlimited nonstarchy vegetables at all times, and unlimited fruit after the brief "induction" phase. It even allows bread during the "maintenance" phase, though in my opinion that's what keeps it from being more successful than it is.

If by "carbohydrates" you mean lots of refined sugar, though, you're out of luck with Atkins.

No, by carbohydrates I mean grains and whole grain bread/pasta, potatoes, beets, corn. I cut out refined sugar months ago. That one change alone gave me more benefit than anything else I've done since, except walking.

A fad diet isn't going to cut it. Atkins is a fad diet.
Gallstones

Print view this post

#22  Postby amyonyango » Apr 07, 2010 6:36 am

Guy McNally wrote:I successfully lost a butt load of weight with the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. The basic idea is controlling insulin, which plays a role in fat storage and in turning hunger on and off. The most radical part of the diet, as I recall, was going carb free for the first week or so. After that, however, it's just low carb for 2 meals, and sensible 3rd. It's not a high-protein diet.

When I eat a carb-rich diet, I am ALWAYS hungry. I could eat an entire pizza and never feel sated, so this diet made sense for me. On the diet, an egg (that's it, an egg) would last me from 6:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m., when I would have a chef's salad or something. I cheated on the diet and went even lower carb than it allows, however, and would only eat meat-vegetable combinations for dinner, maybe with a wee bit of rice or potato.

NO sugar of any kind, which means most commercially prepared salad dressings and sauces. I summed up the book in a 5-page Word file if anyone wants it. PM me if interested.

Yes! Eggs are fucking amazing! While doing the slimming world thing I'd have a poached egg and quorn sausage (baked in oven not fried) toastie (wholemeal bread, 2 slices allowed per day). I still have this now and when I do I don't feel hungry at lunchtime at all - the sustainence is fantastic! And my energy doesn't drop off either.
:heart: eggs
Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.
amyonyango
RS Donator

Name: Amy
Female

England (eng)
Print view this post

#23  Postby xrayzed » Apr 07, 2010 6:45 am

Warren Dew wrote:
xrayzed wrote:There was a British doco on the Atkins diet a few years ago. They took a novel approach, and actually looked at research instead of simply asking people for opinions. They developed a fairly convincing case that the Atkins diet's successes were primarily due to the high levels of protein, which meant dieters tended to feel "fuller" without consuming large quantities of carbs.

The presentation in the original post does indeed show that those on Atkins showed slightly higher protein intake than those on the other diets. That might well be part of why people can stick to the Atkins diet better than they can to some other diets.

That said, the presentation also indicates that those on Atkins reduced their caloric intake by a comparable amount to those on the other diets - from about 2000 kcal/day to about 1500 kcal/day - so satiety doesn't appear to be the full story.

In other words they felt full at 1500 kcal/day, which is precisely what I was saying.
A thinking creationist is an oxymoron. A non-thinking creationist is just a moron.
(Source: johannessiig, here)
xrayzed

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Ironclad » Apr 07, 2010 7:19 am

Those of you worried about the fad that is the unsustainable Atkins, check out CKD - Cyclic Ketogenic Diet. Much more friendly for you pizza addicts.
I found the ketogenic diet, Atkins is a keto diet, great for weight-loss, easy to stick to and left me full of beans. I didn't do the Cyclic version (carbs but no fats) but managed to shed around 24lbs in 10 weeks. An interesting side effect was my IBS cleared up, i'd suffered years of torment.
Google Lyle McDonld for a pdf, "the ketogenic diet", or drop me an email addy if you want it.

Worst thing about the diet is all the greasy washing-up.
Best thing is it need not be a calorie-deficit diet, glycogen depletion is the key.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#25  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 07, 2010 7:20 am

Gallstones wrote:I persist in ascribing to that old fashioned notion that when calories in are less than calories out, one experiences weight loss. I suppose this makes me conservative.

I could never make a lifestyle out of Atkins. I LIKE vegetables and fruit and carbohydrates.

The VA has a weight loss and fitness program, and in the blunt manner of imparting instructions in the military, it is called simply, Move!

Since I'm going to be out at the Fort in two weeks for my annual, I'm thinking of joining Move! and showing those middle aged beer guts up. A bit of competition can be highly motivating.

Well, prancing about, all Medvedev-ish is bound to be a benefit.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Warren Dew » Apr 07, 2010 6:25 pm

xrayzed wrote:In other words they felt full at 1500 kcal/day, which is precisely what I was saying.

Well, except for the fact that the people in the study who followed the diets that decreased protein intake rather than increasing it also ended up at around 1500 kcal/day. Possibly they were starving while the people on Atkins felt full, but the study here doesn't address that question.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#27  Postby xrayzed » Apr 08, 2010 1:36 am

Warren Dew wrote:
xrayzed wrote:In other words they felt full at 1500 kcal/day, which is precisely what I was saying.

Well, except for the fact that the people in the study who followed the diets that decreased protein intake rather than increasing it also ended up at around 1500 kcal/day. Possibly they were starving while the people on Atkins felt full, but the study here doesn't address that question.

I think we're talking at cross-purposes here.

My earlier post was in relation to a different study on the Atkins diet. I was simply pointing out that one of the reasons why Atkins works for many people is that it seems easier for participants to stay at/under their calorie targets.

I don't have any position on how Atkins compares to other diets.
A thinking creationist is an oxymoron. A non-thinking creationist is just a moron.
(Source: johannessiig, here)
xrayzed

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Medicine